Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:23:41 am

Author Topic: La Trobe University Subject Reviews and Ratings  (Read 44329 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
La Trobe University Subject Reviews and Ratings
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:19:49 pm »
+5
Index

If you have any queries, comments, complaints or suggestions, feel free to contact alondouek or b^3.

Current Totals:
Business, Economics and Law: 3
Education: 0
Health Sciences: 0
Humanities and Social Sciences: 2
Science, Technology and Engineering: 11

Total: 16 reviews

Education

Health Sciences

This is a thread for subject reviews only.  If you have any questions, then please PM the member who wrote the review, or alternatively, create a new thread for more information about a subject.  The views expressed are those of the authors and do not represent the opinions of the university.  Keep in mind that despite best efforts, information provided may not be accurate.

We encourage you to review the subject(s) you have completed, even if someone else has already reviewed your subject(s).  The more reviews we have, the more helpful this resource will be. Please try to avoid overly denigrating lecturers and keep your review relatively objective

Please use the following template:

Code: [Select]
[b]Subject Code/Name:[/b] [url=insert link here]SUBJECT CODE SUBJECT NAME[/url]  Please insert the handbook link for the subject, and replace SUBJECT CODE SUBJECT NAME with the appropriate details

[b]Workload:[/b]  (specify how many lectures, pracs, tutes ect. and their duration)

[b]Assessment:[/b]  (Outline the various assessments which make up the subject and how much each counts for)

[b]Lecture Recording Enabled:[/b]  Yes, with/without screen capture etc.

[b]Past exams available:[/b]  Yes, how many?  No.  Was there a sample exam?

[b]Textbook Recommendation:[/b]  What must you buy?  What is "recommended"?  Do you need it?

[b]Lecturer(s):[/b]

[b]Year & Semester of completion:[/b]

[b]Rating:[/b]  Out of 5

[b]Your Mark/Grade:[/b] (Optional)

[b]Comments: [/b] Give your overall opinion of the subject, lecturers, assessment etc. and a recommendation, plus anything else which you feel is relevant.

Search for units here.

Index last updated July 14, 2014, 12:28:03 am - alondouek

Template copied from gemgem49's Monash and stonecold's University of Melbourne subject review pages.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:28:03 am by alondouek »
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: La Trobe University Subject Reviews and Ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: CSE1OOF - Object-Oriented Programming Fundamentals

Workload:

2 x 1 hour lectures
1 x 1 hour practical
1 x 2 hour computer laboratory

Total: 5 hours commitment p.w

Assessment:

Progress Check Test
Usually happens during the middle of the semester. Is a written test comprising of theoretical questions and some practical application. Only worth 2% (I believe the assessment is changing for this in 2014 from 2% to a higher amount).

Assignments/Execution Tests (3 assignments)
Assignments are handed out as both electronic copies and hard copies. You are given questions and sample runs (how the program/s should look as output). The good thing about this is that it doesn't matter how you do it, the important key here is does it work/function correctly?. As long as it meets the requirements/intended output, then you will gain full marks. Marking for this is done using a grading/criteria sheet where the demonstrator will ask you to perform tasks relating to your program.

There are three of these assignments/execution tests and they are done in your laboratory class. In Semester 2, 2013, these were worth 3%, 6% and 13% respectively.

Real Time Programming Test (15%)
This is similar to the assignments - however you are given no prior knowledge regarding the questions or what you have to do. You are allocated a computer in which you have no access to anything else except the minimum needed. You are allowed to bring in a textbook and that's it. In 2013, Semester 2, there were eight questions from simple programs that output to more object-oriented questions. It's important you cover everything because chances are the one little bit you didn't study for is what's going to appear!

This assessment is timed - you are given 90 minutes (1 hour and a half) with 5-10 minutes reading time. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a textbook as personally, it was very helpful and you are allowed it!

Examination (60%)
The examination for this consisted of 150 marks. Section A consisted of basic theory where Section B consisted of a case study and questions were all relative to the 'object oriented approach'. My tip regarding this would be to study the final assignment very closely, and ensure that you practice practice practice the object-oriented approach! It's vital to success. You have two and a half hours to complete this exam.

Lecture Recording Enabled:
Yes, all lectures were recorded using Echo360 - however it is difficult to hear what the lecturer is saying as he likes to walk around alot which makes it a bit hard. Turning up to lectures is essential. Lectures are not posted online - only way is receiving them in person in the lecture.

Past exams available:

Yes, there was one past exam available with detailed solutions. The assignments and real time test have questions similar to the final exam which itself assists with exam preparation.

Textbook Recommendation: 

Absolute Java 5th ed, Walter Savitch   -- this book is not a must, however it is very helpful in terms of the real time test and assignments! The lectures are formed from this book so I guess it's really up to you.

Lecturer(s): Richard Tresider

Year & Semester of completion: 2013 Semester 2

Rating:

5/5. This was my favourite subject so far. If you are doing IT/computer science at La Trobe, you will find this subject very interesting especially if you have never learnt the programming language Java previously. The subject starts very slow however practice is essential to success in the subject.

Your Mark/Grade:

95 (A GRADE PASS)

Comments:

Overall, the subject was no doubt the best subject i've done in my first year of university. The lecturer (Richard) is very helpful when it comes to lecture materials and will go through the key concepts. The demonstrators are very good as well - There is only one issue however: the lab class sizes. My suggestion is to pick a lab time that not many people go in, so you can get more one-on-one assistance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:24:17 pm by alondouek »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:03:09 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: BUS1AFB - Accounting and Finance for Business

Workload:

2 x 1 hour lectures (there were three lectures on a Monday and three on a Friday at different times of the day - you only have to attend one on the Monday and one on the Friday)
1 x 1 hour tutorial

Assessment:

5 of 6 tutorial quizzes (10% - 2% each)
For six weeks there were 8-question quizzes that contributed to the assessment which relate to the topic/s studied in the same week or the previous week. Only the best 5 contributed to the score. Revision is essential, it is closed book.

10 of 11 online quizzes (10% - 1% each)
You are given access to MyLabsPlus (Pearson) where these online quizzes take place. There was an even distribution of Accounting quizzes and Finance quizzes in which you were given exactly one week to complete them. Some are timed, some are not. You are given multiple choice questions and some short response questions - as well as some "fill in the blank" questions too. Majority of the quizzes allow you to complete them over and over for the week they are open, attempting to achieve the highest score possible.

Group Case Study (20%)
For this piece of assessment, you are given a case study and have to work in groups of 3-5 to write up and complete a 10 page (approximate) case study. The case study for Semester 1, 2013 was Domino's Pizza and there was three parts to the case study. With approximately 10-12 questions per part. This case study was very thorough and examined lots of real world information (e.g. annual reports, statement of financial position, financial performance just to name a few).

Peer Evaluation of Case Study (10%)
At the end of the case study, your peers will receive an evaluation sheet where they have to rate their team members according to their contribution, effort etc. These scores are combined and you are given a mark out of 10 depending on the scores issued by your peers.

Examination (50%)
The exam consists of 45 multiple choice questions relating to topics learnt throughout the semester. Some are theoretical based questions, some require you to calculate and solve problems. A non-programmable calculator is permitted in this examination.

Yes, with screen capture and voice.

Past exams available:

N/A

Textbook Recommendation:

There is a La Trobe Business School textbook which is available from the university bookstore. I personally only used the textbook (the e-book version) to do the online quizzes, nothing more.

Lecturer(s): Suzanne Salmon (Accounting), Greg Jamieson (Finance)

Year & Semester of completion: 2013 Semester 1

Rating: 2/5

Your Mark/Grade: 74 (B GRADE PASS)

Comments: This subject was very unorganised. There was heaps of formulas to learn and we were not provided with a basic formula sheet in the examination, which I found to be very unhelpful personally.

In my opinion lectures could have been more engaging - however if you didn't attend them, the lecture slides were sufficient enough.

I personally found it was okay, however it was very unorganised (have to stress this!!). On the positive side, the tutor (Troy) was very nice and assisted heaps. The subject is core for all undergraduate students in the La Trobe Business School.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:15:59 am by Aaron »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:01 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: MGT1FOM - Foundations of Management

Workload:

1 x 2 hour lecture
1 x 1 hour tutorial

3 hours per week

Assessment:

700 word reflective essay (15%)

The first assessment students must reflect on an issue in management and respond in an essay format using research (scholarly articles/journals). An example of an issue is: diversity in the workplace. A minimum of six references using the Harvard referencing style must be used and incorporated.

1500 word literature review (35%)

The second assessment is a 1,500 word literature review of management literature. This is a more professional piece and you must only draw off scholarly articles/academic journals. Must have a minimum of 10 references using Harvard style. They are very strict on word counts, +- 10% only. You are given two questions in which you must respond to one of them. This is a very difficult assessment for a first year student, hence the value of overall % for this.

Exam (50%)

The exam is a 2 hour exam consisting of 50 marks. It has two sections.

Section A consists of six questions in which you must answer four of them.
Section B consists of a further six questions and you must answer all of them.

There is a very clear and important emphasis placed on 'theorists'. So if you decide to do this subject, be aware that there is a 90% emphasis placed on theorists and their findings, rather than the subject content taught. The subject content just complements the theorists/theories. The main objective of the subject is your understanding of theorists/theories. In both section A and section B of the exam they ask you to draw on findings by particular theorists.

Yes, with screen capture.

Past exams available:

N/A

Textbook Recommendation:

MGMT: Asia Pacific 1st ed, Williams (2010) - main textbook used

The Evolution of Management Thought 6th ed, Wren&Bedeian - highly recommended by lecturers!

Lecturer(s): Pashaar Halteh

Rating: 3/5

Your Mark/Grade: 73 (B GRADE PASS)

Comments:

This subject was a bit mixed for me (hence why I gave it a 3/5). This subject is good if you have done Business Management in VCE, as it draws on particular topics from BM (such as Herzberg/Maslow hierarchies, management functions and recruitment/selection/training). I would estimate approximately 40-50% of the course is the same or builds on BM content - so it's definitely an advantage having BM behind you if you do this subject.

As I mentioned above, there is a clear emphasis on theorists and their theories. I was very surprised when I walked into the exam to see little to know mention of lecture content, only how the theorists and theories can be applied. The tutorials are okay: Each week there is a question you must do for homework and the tutorials are more of a discussion point for peer-to-peer discussions and student-to-tutor discussion. You also go through a few case studies.

I personally didn't like how there was a literature review introduced in a first year subject and I made my view clear in the feedback at the end of semester. Majority of students have never experienced a literature review and I personally found it very difficult to start , hence why it is worth 35% as it is a very time consuming (lots of research/finding journals that are actually relevant) subject.

If you are good at writing essays then this subject is for you. :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:35:28 pm by alondouek »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:53:37 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: STA1DCT - Data-Based Critical Thinking

Workload:

1 x 2 hour lecture (was considered 2 x 1  however they were together with a 10 minute break in between).
1 x 1 hour computer laboratory

Assessment:

5 Assignments (30%)

The assignments were issued on a fortnightly basis and you had approximately two weeks to complete each. They examined the content learnt in the previous couple of weeks and were approximately 4-5 pages in length each.

Some of the things covered were: surveying, chance/probability, turning data into information and 'from data to decision making'.

These assignments definitely test your problem solving skills, and they somewhat examine some Year 12 Further Maths knowledge.

Numeracy Quizzes (10%)

You are given access to 'MyMathTest' - an online quiz tool which has quizzes which you must complete. They are numeracy assessments. You can try them as many times as you like, and if you achieve over 80%, it gets bumped up to 100% (for the quizzes). Easy 10% in my opinion.

Exam (60%)

The exam questions are in the form of multiple choice and short answer. As I have said, the exam I sat was nearly identical to the practice so it pays to do the practice exam! The questions are similar to the assignment questions.

The first part of the exam is a multiple choice and 'fill in the blank' part where they are questions from the 'numeracy tests'. With the multiple choice questions, you are asked to circle the answer and give reasoning. If the answer is incorrect but your reasoning is justified, you can still earn 1/2 marks which I feel is very reassuring.

Yes, with screen capture and voice.

Past exams available:

Yes - the actual exam was nearly identical to the past exam with some questions changed around.

Textbook Recommendation:

La Trobe publication - Databased Critical Thinking, Authored by Luke Prendergast

Lecturer(s): Luke Prendergast

Rating: 4.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 89 (A GRADE PASS)

Comments:

I would have to say this subject is a very easy mark booster. If you did Further Mathematics, then you will have no problems with this subject. 10% of the final mark is based on numeracy quizzes, where you are given multiple attempts to try quizzes that test your numeracy skills (e.g. fractions and algebra). If you score over 80% on any quiz it is boosted to 100%. The assignments are quite easy if you know what you are doing - it is definitely critical thinking!

In the labs you do a worksheet every time - I feel this was probably the only let down. When there is a large volume of people it's often difficult to get help when you need it. If you do this subject, don't worry too much if you can't complete the labs. The exam I sat was nearly identical to the practice one uploaded - so it pays to do the practice exam!

Overall, very easy to achieve a high mark in. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:22:26 am by alondouek »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:05:57 am »
+6
Subject Code/Name: CSE1PE - Programming Environment 

Workload:

2 x 1 hour lectures p.w
1 x 2 hour computer lab p.w
1 x 1 hour tutorial p.w.

Total: 5 hours p.w

Assessment:

Tutorial Attendance (10%)

Simply receive up to 10% for tutorial attendance. It's calculated by your attendance. For example: if you attend 50% of tutorials, you will receive 5% and so on.

Assessable Tutorials (12%)

There are two assessable tutorials for Programming Environment. Both assessable tutorials require you to perform the program development steps which involves writing pseudocode, completing a data dictionary and defining diagram, and desk checking. All this is done in regards to mini problem description/s for each assessable tutorial. It is required to be typed and submitted as a hard copy in the tutorial at a specified time. First one is worth 2% and the second is worth 10% (this was the case in S1 2013, not sure about 2014 and beyond).

Real Time Programming Test (18%)
The real time programming test is where you must program live (or on the spot). You are given up to three hours to complete this. You are given a problem description and from there you must complete a defining diagram, pseudocode, desk check, data dictionary, test plan, physically write the program (submission of source code) and provide sample runs to show evidence of it working properly.

You are given prior knowledge of the problem description and you can do all the theoretical steps before you enter the real time test (e.g. pseudocode, data dictionary). I spent probably 45 minutes in the real time - you only need to fill in the test plan, write the source code and show evidence of sample runs and go over all your work to see if it is consistent and valid.

Exam (60%)- this is for 2013, this may be different for 2014 and beyond
The exam consists of short response and practical application questions.

The main topics of the examination included (may have left out one or two):

* Performing program development steps (defining diagram, desk check, pseudocode etc.)
* UNIX commands - know most of the unix commands. You are also presented with a file tree and you are asked to navigate through it using unix commands.
* Evaluating conditional statements (e.g. is this true or false > !(3==6 || 4>10) - just as an example).
* Source code analysis - reading source code and evaluating what is output to the screen.
* Physical writing of code

The thing that stumbled alot of people was the high emphasis on UNIX commands and their use. Just be aware that if you do this subject, ensure that you spend an adequate amount of time studying the commands as well as the main content learnt in lectures/labs/tutes as this was worth nearly 1/3 of the entire exam.

No

Past exams available:

No

Textbook Recommendation:

None.

Lecturer(s): Geoffrey Holt

Rating: 5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 90 (A GRADE PASS)

Comments:

This subject is pretty much the gate to programming. It teaches you the fundamentals of C programming and pretty much is a 'how to use UNIX' class. You consistently use the program development steps which involves the use of data dictionaries, pseudocode writing, desk checking and defining diagrams, as well as test plans introduced later in the semester and apply them to problem descriptions.

It's very handy and very easy to pick up if you have learnt another previous language like PHP as the logic is very similar (e.g. if/else statements, variables). This bridges onto CSE1OOF (review above) where these are further continued in Java.

This subject is not object-oriented and it is very easy to succeed if you take the time to learn the material.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:11:02 am by alondouek »

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 05:02:54 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: PHI1CRT - Critical Thinking

Workload: 

This subject is offered in both semesters.

Semester 1: 1 X 2hr lecture per week and 1 X 1hr tutorial per week

Semester 2: 3 hours of online learning per week

Assessment: 

1.5-hour Exam - 26%

The exam is conducted online through LMS. When I completed this subject in 2012, the exam was all multiple choice. From what my friends have told me in 2013, the format has not changed.

Short Quizzes (equivalent to 2000 words) - 50%

Each week there will be a short quiz on the weekly topic. In total there are 12 quizzes, and only your top 8 quizzes count for your grade. Hence, some weeks you can afford to miss a quiz although this is not recommended. With each quiz you have multiple attempts, and the LMS software also tells you which questions you got wrong. For many this is an easy 50%.

Short Essays (3 x 320 words) - 24%

During the semester there will be a bunch of essay topics provided. You need to select three of these topics and write a short essay. Typically, the questions require you to analyse statements, watch videos and respond, or to agree/disagree with statements using justification.

*NOTE* When I completed this subject in 2012, there were no short essays. I had to participate in a debate.

Lecture Recording Enabled:  No. Lecture slides are provided on LMS.

Past exams available:  No. The exam has the same format as the quizzes, and you are expected to use the quiz answers as revision to the final exam.

Textbook Recommendation:  None required.

Optional reading: A Concise Introduction To Logic, Hurley, PJ c2012, 11th ed, Wadsworth Cengage Learning, Boston, MA

Lecturer(s): Dr Norva Lo (excellent)

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 1, 2012

Rating:  5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 96 (A)

Comments:

This subject is a fantastic casual introduction to philosophy. It's a fairly laid back subject since the majority of students take CRT as an elective. Dr Norva Lo is a terrific lecturer who constantly keeps the students engaged during lectures.

In this subject you will learn to logically and systematically present, analyse, and evaluate different types of arguments. You will learn to avoid fallacious reasoning and to use diagrams and symbols to assist higher and more abstract levels of thinking and reasoning. This has a direct link to the real world where you apply these skills to cases from popular culture and current affairs.

The subject description sums CRT up well. Because the ability to think and to argue clearly and fairly is central not just to philosophy but to university studies in general, many students find the experience gained in this subject immensely valuable, both within the university and later in employment whatever their subsequent areas of specialization.

The weekly readings are not required to pass this subject. Norva conveniently places everything you need on her own website, which contains a lot of hidden treasures such as funny videos, thought provoking talk shows, interviews and debates, and more advanced research-type materials for further studies and life long learning.

The subject revolves around the quizzes. If you can ace them, you should already be looking to score an A for the subject. Solutions to each weekly online quiz will be automatically released on the LMS website immediately after its due date. So late submission will not be accepted, and extension will not be given. In tutorial, your tutor will go over the sample solutions for each tutorial.

I would definitely recommend this subject to all LTU students. To get the most out of this subject, attend all lectures and complete the readings. Since the debate is no longer part of the subject, you don't have to be scared about standing in front of your tutorial group and being questioned by hardcore philosophy majors. You also don't need to worry about your debate team doing no work.

If you take this subject you may see me sitting in the back row on my laptop during lectures if my schedule allows it :P

Norva will also award bonus points if you find an error in any subject resource :)

Topics:

* Statements (Analytic, empirical, evaluative, etc.), rhetorical questions

* Arguments, inferencing, putting arguments in standard form, simple & complex arguments

* Validity & Soundness

* Statistical syllogism, Inductive generalization, analogical arguments

* Arguments to the best explanation

* Fallacies of relevance (appeal to force, appeal to pity, arguments against the person, straw man)

* Fallacies of weak induction (hasty generalization, weak analogy, false cause, slippery slope)

* Fallacies of presumption (begging the question, complex question, false dichotomy), fallacies of ambiguity (equivocation, amphiboly), part-whole relations (composition, division)

* Valid argument forms (modus ponens, modus tollens, hypothetical syllogism, disjunctive syllogism, constructive dilemma, reductio ad absurdum)
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: ECO1RIG - Recessions, Inflation and Economic Growth (previously ECO1IMA)

Workload: 

2 X 1hr lectures per week
1 X 1hr tutorial per week

Assessment: 

Weekly problem sets/assignment (maximum 1,000 words) - 25%

Each week there will be a problem set with various questions about the week's material. In tutorials, you will be randomly assigned questions from the problem set to discuss to the class in groups. This process is totally random so it's absolutely essential you come to class having completed ALL questions.

The 25 marks of the tutorial assessment will be allocated in the following way: 11 will be based on your written work, 8 will be based on your presentation/participation in the tute, and 6 will be based on the quizzes.

1-hour mid-semester exam - 15%

There will be a Mid Semester exam in week 6 held in the Union Hall next to the Eagle bar (i.e. in lecture time but NOT in the usual lecture venue). It is a one-hour exam which serves as a great revision tool imo. The exam will test your understanding of the material covered in both lectures and tutorials held up to that point. Those who have been attending lectures and doing the tute work (in the right way) can be confident as all questions will relate to issues that have been addressed in the problem sets and/or the lectures. Let me stress that while the questions will be of a similar type to those in the PS, they will not necessarily be exactly the same. They may require that you apply your understanding in a slightly different situation or context. You will be able to keep the exam sheet. Re-doing the exam questions will constitute a part of the problem set for the following tutorial, and will be assessed to make sure that all students are on top of the material.

(Reading time: 10 minutes, Writing time: 1 hour)
Structure: 4 True/false (1/2 mark), 4 Multiple choice (1 mark, 5 options each), 3 Short answer questions (3 marks).

2-hour final examination - 60%

It will cover the material of the whole semester, not only the second half. Like the midterm, the final exam will NOT test how well you can memorize. They are not interested in that at all. Instead it will examine the things that really matter, i.e. your
(1) understanding of the material at a deeper level,
(2) ability to communicate this understanding, and
(3) ability to apply this understanding

(Reading time: 15 minutes, Writing time: 2 hours)
Structure: 6 True/false questions (each worth 1 mark), 16 (unambiguous) Multiple choice questions (worth 1.5 marks each, having 5 options including ‘None of the Above’ to minimize guessing), and 5 Short answer questions (each worth 6 marks).

Hurdle requirement: Students must achieve at least 40% in the final examination as well as an overall total of 50% to pass the subject.

Lecture Recording Enabled:  Yes, with screen capture.

Past exams available:  No. Sample questions are provided.

Textbook Recommendation:  Yes, there is a prescribed textbook.

Principles of Macroeconomics, Pacific Rim (the 5th edition, but 4th is also fine)
AUTHORS: Stonecash, Gans, King, and Mankiw
PUBLISHER: Cengage; ISBN: 0170191710

Lecturer(s): Dr Jan Libich (excellent)

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 2, 2012

Your Mark/Grade: 92 (A)

Comments:

This subject is a fantastic introduction to macroeconomics. The cohort is largely populated by non-science/tech students but it's a popular elective as well.

Jan uses simple models to help explain the driving forces of phenomena such as inflation, unemployment, economic growth, foreign debt, and current account deficit, and their effect on our well-being. Importantly, the effectiveness and desirability of policymakers’ responses to various economic situations via monetary and fiscal policy will be discussed in detail. For example, issues such as why some countries are ‘rich’ whereas others are ‘poor’, whether and when should the central bank change the interest rate, whether the government should run surpluses or deficits, the causes and consequences of the global financial crisis of 2008, and many other real world relevant questions are discussed.

Personally the main learning objective for me was being able to independently think about the real world economy and policy.

During the first few minutes of each lecture, Jan likes to have an informal chat about the subject, i.e. you will have a chance to express your comments, suggestions, and problems. For your convenience the lecture slides for each week (both lectures) will be posted on LMS (under materials) by Thursday 8pm the preceding week. In order to save paper I suggest that in the printing options under ‘page scaling’ you use ‘multiple pages per sheet’ and select 4 or 6. The slides are, however, not exhaustive – instead they contain open questions that will be discussed in the lecture to guide you in your preparation. Therefore, attending the lectures and taking some notes will still be necessary.

Macro revolves around the tutorials. Your preparation for tutorials is a crucial part of the subject. Every week by Thursday 8pm Jan posts the problem set for the following week. The problem sets will be related to current macroeconomic developments, and will be very relevant to the exams. There will be two parts, A and B. They will have 6 and 3 questions respectively, where the latter will also have some sub-questions, and the last question will relate to some external material (e.g. a newspaper article or online video). Each question in part A and sub-question in part B will be worth the same in the assessment. The objective is to make sure you are doing the work throughout the semester rather than cramming before the exam.

It is important to note that the problem sets will NOT be marked solely in terms of the correctness of your answers, but also reflect the effort you’ll put in. This is effort in terms of the quality of your answers, not in terms of the quantity or formal presentation. There will often not be a right/wrong answer, the questions are  designed to improve your ability to discuss an issue and develop an argument. If you are unsure how to deal with a problem, provide a discussion of what exactly it is that you are having difficulties with, or how you think about it. This will be valued more than just stating the answer without explanations. So the bottom line is: you put in the work, you score high in the tutes, and you learn effectively.

This claim can be demonstrated by the striking degree of correlation between the tutorial mark and the exam score occurring every semester. Out of the students who score full marks in tutes over 80% of them commonly get an A on the exams. In contrast, out of those who score less than 1/3 of the available tutorial marks over 80% commonly fail the exams, and the subject.

The tutorial will consist of the following two main activities. First, the tutorial will start with you discussing the tute work in small groups of 3-4 students for around 10 minutes. You will be able to form the groups yourselves and keep or change them throughout the semester. The tutor will assign each group with selected questions from the problem set. This assignment will be random – you will not be able to choose your questions. Second, after your team discussion the tutor will ask each team to present their work in front of the class, and all members of the team have to share this presentation equally.

The tutor will be a ‘facilitator’ rather than a ‘teacher’ that only delivers the answers. S/he will steer your presentation into the right direction and invite other groups to make comments and ask your group questions. So you do not have to be afraid, this will be a rather informal presentation that will usually lead into a general discussion - interaction is encouraged. Learning to engage in such discussions will be very useful in your further study at Uni as well as in the workplace.

To enable you to get engaged (rather than hectically write down the ‘correct answers’), the solutions to the problem set will be posted on LMS by Thursday 8pm of the same week. You should download the solutions and make sure you are able to reproduce them on your own. If you still have any questions about the problem set make sure you post them on the LMS discussion board.

There will be several 10 minute quizzes throughout the semester, held at the end of the tutorial. Each quiz will consist of several questions based on the material of that tutorial, very similar to the questions you have done at home, so those who did the work have nothing to be afraid of. Some will be done in your group, and some individually. You are not told in advance when the quizzes will occur, or how many of them there will be - to ensure that you do the work every week.

Jan is the best lecturer I have had at LTU thus far. It is no surprise that he has won many awards in university education. I literally did not meet one student who said they didn't like his style of lecturing. Jan also runs a series of guest lectures by prominent economists / central bankers / educators. These are all posted on his YouTube account.

Topics:

* Ten Lessons From Economics - Thinking Like an Economist

* Measuring a Nation’s Income and the Cost of Living

* Production and Growth

* Saving, Investment and the Financial System

* The Natural Rate of Unemployment

* The Monetary System

* Inflation: Its Causes and Costs

* Open-economy Macroeconomics

* Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply

* The Influence of Monetary and Fiscal Policy

* The Short Run Trade-off between Inflation and Unemployment

* The Global Financial Crisis

Murphy was an optimist

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: MDS1TRW - The Roman World

Workload: 

2 X 1hr lecture
1 X 1hr tutorial

Assessment:

(This has changed since 2012. But I imagine the flow of the subject is still similar).

One 1000-word essay - 20%

See below.

One 1500-word essay    - 40%

The essays are fairly straightforward. Harvard style referencing is used in this subject so I strongly recommend you learn the trivial matters in the lead up to the essays.

One 1.5-hour examination (1,500 Words) - 40%

I know this has changed since 2012. The subject guide for 2014 now states: "One in-class test (1,200-word equivalent)   -  30%"

This was a nightmare. Three essays in 90 minutes. In a lecture theatre.

Lecture Recording Enabled:  Yes, with screen capture. This class is also on iTunes.

Past exams available:  Yes, although in an essay subject it will not provide much indication about what to study for.

Textbook Recommendation:  Not a textbook, but required reading is below:

The Aeneid; a new translation by David West, Virgil, Penguin, 1990 (I recommend reading this before the semester begins)

Livy From the Foundation of the City 1.1 (‘It is generally accepted…’) to 1.15 (he was taken up into the sky’) and 1.48.8-60
= The Early History of Rome transl. Aubrey de Sélincourt (Harmonsdworth, 1960): pp. 18-35, 72-85

Slavery extracts: Cato the Elder On Agriculture 2, 56-9; Tacitus Annals 14.42-5, Diodorus Siculus The History of the World fragments of Book 34:2 = Jo-Ann Shelton As the Romans Did (Oxford: 1998)

Richard Saller ‘Slavery and the Roman Family’ in M.I. Finley (ed.) Classical Slavery (London, 1987): 65-87.

Plautus Pseudolus = The Pot of Gold and Other Plays (Harmondsworth, 1965) transl. E.F Watling): pp.216-268.

Suetonius ‘The Deified Julius Caesar’ = Lives of the Caesars (Oxford World Classics, 2000) transl Catharine Edwards: pp. 3-42.
Caesar The Gallic War pp. xlvii-xlix, pp. 1-19 – end of 1st paragraph ‘other states tributary.’ pp. 95-96 [book 5. paragraphs 12-14], pp. 124-133 [6.11-28], pp. 181-194 [7.69-90]

Cicero In Defence of Marcus Caelius Rufus = Selected Political Speeches (Harmondsworth, 1969) transl. Michael Grant. pp.165-214.

Catullus Poems I-III, V, VII, XI, XVI, XLIX, LI, LVII, LXXII, LXXXIII, LXXXV: The Poems of Catullus: a new translation by Guy Lee (Oxford World Classics, 1991).

Propertius The Poems (Oxford, 1994) transl. Guy Lee: Book 1: Poem 1 (pp.3-4), Poem 4 (pp.6-7), Poem 7 (p.10).

Ovid Loves Book 1 Poems 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 15.

Ovid Art of Love Book 1 = The Erotic Poems (Harmondsworth, 1982) transl Peter Green: pp. 166-190.

Petronius ‘Dinner with Trimalchio’ = Petronius The Satyricon, Seneca The Apocolocyntosis (Harmondsworth, 1986 revised edition) transl J.P. Sullivan: pp. 51-91.

Lecturer(s): Dr Rhiannon Evans

Year & Semester of completion: 2012, Semester 2

Rating:  3/5

Your Mark/Grade: 80 (A)

Comments:

This subject deals with the cultural history of ancient Rome - its literature, its mythology, its art and architecture, and its political and civil institutions. The period covered is the mid republic into the early empire (including the periods of Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar). The subject explores the military and social turmoil associated with civil war, the political use of mythology and literature by Roman writers like Virgil, Ovid and Livy, the great building programs of the period, and the artistic triumphs and conventions in the Roman world.

The Roman World is a popular elective since many (including myself) have an interest in ancient Rome. Many students however had also completed the ancient Greek subject which is typically offered in the previous semester.

For a tech student, this subject was a bit of a shock. Tutorials consisted of a group of people sitting in a circle. The tutorials are more of a discussion rather than learning new things. It can be quite intimidating when you haven't done the weekly readings.

The subject tends to focus on the literature quite extensively. I did not particularly enjoy the lectures although the subject moves at a good pace.

The Roman World helped me to develop my essay writing skills and also provided me with an introduction to great ancient texts such as The Aeneid. This subject was first offered in 2012 and with some improvements, I'm sure it will get better in years to come.

Topics:

* Roman Myth as History - Monarchy to Republic

* War and Conquest: The Rise of Rome during the Republic

* The Republic: Slaves and Conquerors

* The Republic: History and Literature

* Building the Empire: Republican Art and Architecture

* Building the Empire: Julius Caesar

* Republican politics: Politics as War, Love as War

* Republican spaces: Power and Monumentality

* The Art of Revolution: Augustan Rome

* Roman Myth as Poetry: Trojan Ancestors

* Roman Myth as Poetry: Love and Hate

* Roman Myth as Poetry: Future Rome

* Roman Myth as Poetry - War in Italy

* Augustan Love: Propertius and Ovid

* Augustan Culture: Rebuilding Rome

* Empire of Decadence? The Early Emperors

* Bad Emperors: Nero

* Another Renaissance: Neronian Culture

* Workers and Freedmen

* Flavian Rome

* Roman Amphitheatres
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:33:06 pm by MJRomeo81 »

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
+6
Subject Code/Name: MAT1DM - Discrete Mathematics

Workload: 

2 X 1hr prac classes per week
1 X 1 hr lecture workshop per week

Assessment:

5 fortnightly assignments (typically 3-4 pages each) - 10%

These problem sets consist of questions related to the lecture material. They are designed to help you explain and master mathematical concepts. At the end of each problem set, there is an independent learning question which requires you to conduct some research.

4 LMS Quizzes -    10%

These quizzes are conducted online through LMS. You have three attempts at each quiz. On each attempt you will receive a new set of questions, although the question bank is small.

One 3-hour examination - 80%

Very similar to the past exams. 180 marks available.

Past exams available:  Yes. Past years exam is provided with solutions. The last ten years of exams for DM are available through the La Trobe library. HINT: Access these as soon as possible.

Textbook Recommendation:  Yes. There is a prescribed course reader available in the bookshop.

Lecturer(s): Dr John Banks (stream A), Mr Kevin Bicknell (stream B)

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 1, 2013

Your Mark/Grade: 91 (A)

Comments:

This subject is taught in two streams (which all students complete). Stream A is about symbolic concepts and stream B is numerical concepts.

Each week you will have 5 hours of DM content. Each stream has a 1 hour lecture and a 1 hour prac class. The prac class allocation is made in such a way that you will have the same tutor and classmates for both streams. Each fortnight you receive your problem set back with comments & solutions.

The pracs are tough. Really tough. I advise you to refer to the past exams ASAP to quickly discover what you should know, and what you don't have to worry about.

Both lecturers do an amazing job at presenting the material in an accessible fashion. The cohort is largely made up of STEM students.

DM is a really enjoyable subject. There is plenty of help if you're stuck and all lectures are recorded. The subject guide states that it's recommended to have completed methods or spesh in VCE but I believe this isn't necessary. You can learn the concepts as you go. If you're a CS/IT student you will find many of the concepts related to your field. I wish the lecturers could make room for some set theory.

Since there's no calculus in this subject I would say it's one of the easier math units at LTU. If you need an elective and you want to have a moderate challenge, DM is the way to go.

Topics:

Here is a week by week schedule on what you'll learn. The "/" separates stream A from B.

* Combinatorics, Permutations / Numbers in different bases

* More combinatorics, functions and binary operations / Arithmetic in bases 2, 8, 16

* Boolean algebra and switching circuits / subtraction without borrowing in different bases, normalised scientific notation

* Minimal representations and Karnaugh maps / Elementary algorithms and their analysis

* Digital logic and digital circuits / Recursive algorithms

* Logic circuits and their applications / Sequences and series

* Graphs and graph isomorphisms / Big O, complexity calculations

* Eulerian paths and planarity / More Big O growth of series

* Weighted graphs, trees, and spanning trees / Homogeneous recurrence relations

* Binary trees and mathematical expressions / Non-Homogeneous recurrence relations

* Automata and languages / Analysis of algorithms, insertion sort, selection sort

* Regular expressions / Merge Sort & Quick sort

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: STA1SS - Statistical Science

Workload:

3 x 1 hour lectures (every Wednesday there is a 'practical' lecture where examples are discussed and solved).
For five weeks, there is a fourth lecture for SS only which goes through the mathematical application of statistics.

1 x 1 hour computer laboratory

1 x practical class

Total: Up to 6 hours per week.

Assessment:  (Outline the various assessments which make up the subject and how much each counts for)

Weekly assignments - 40%
Each week you are issued the assignment before the topic is covered. You have two weeks to do each assignment - however they start to pile up if you don't complete them rapidly - this tests your time management skills, definitely.

LS Assignments are worth 3% each
SS Assignments are worth 5% each

5 assignments for each category totalling 40%.

Exam (60%)
The exam consists of 32 multiple choice worth 2 marks each with five options for each question. There is also a short answer section which comprises an additional 26 marks. The total marks for this exam is 90 marks.

This is a difficult exam! The problem here is that people assume because you're allowed a "cheat sheet" then there is no need to properly study for it. If you are like me and attempt to cover most of the course on a cheat sheet, then you won't have much room. Consider 13 weeks of lectures, with 50+ slides for each presentation. There are heaps of formulas so think wisely when you are writing your cheat sheet.

Most of the questions attempt to trick you by providing a very similar answer to the correct one. It definitely tests if you know your content or not.

Past exams available:  Yes, 1 LS exam and 1 SS exam was available with solutions

Textbook Recommendation: 

REQUIRED TEXT: You must purchase the 'Computer Lab' textbook from the La Trobe Bookstore on campus. It's not that expensive, however it's vital to do the computer labs as the questions come from there.

No other texts.

Lecturer(s): Dr David Farchione (Life Sciences lectures), Dr Andriy Olenko (Statistical Science lectures)

Rating:  3/5

Comments:

This subject is co-taught with STA1LS (Statistics for Life Sciences) and there are very significant differences between the two subjects. The first three lectures each week consist of LS lectures where Dr David Farchione lectures. For five weeks during the semester there is an additional fourth lecture specifically for SS students lectured by Dr Andriy Olenko, where it is shown how mathematics can be used for statistics - and more topics are learnt!

This is definitely a very difficult subject and if you want an easier option, choose LS. I will explain why:

a) LS is only a 45 mark multiple choice examination. There is no short answer component like there is for SS.
b) More theory in SS than LS - You will be expected to cover five additional lectures of content than LS.

Areas covered:
* Descriptive statistics
* Probability
* Statistical inference

To sum up: Want a mathematical challenge, choose SS. If you want knowledge purely from Statistics, or want an easy multiple choice exam at the end, choose LS.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:01:03 pm by Aaron »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:06 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: CSE1ITF - Information Technology Fundamentals

Workload:

2 x 1 hour lectures p.w
1 x 2 hour computer laboratory p.w

Total: 4 hours p.w

Assessment:

Four Assignments (40%)

Assignment 1: Little Man Computer and Computer Theory (3%)
Assignment 2: Database assignment using MS Access (15%)
Assignment 3: Website Creation using HTML, CSS and PHP. (15%)
Assignment 4: Excel Test (in-lecture - 45 minutes) (7%)

Exam (60%)
The exam is out of 120 marks and examines all key areas of the course. The majority of marks come from the Excel, Database and Website sections, however there were a few computer theory/little man computer and networking questions which popped up (not significant in terms of marks - however).

The exam has some short answer questions where you are expected to explain in your response. There are also 'code fragments' and 'programs' which you must write to satisfy the question's requirements.

Lecture Recording Enabled:  No

Past exams available:  Yes, past exam available with solutions.

Textbook Recommendation: N/A

Lecturer(s): Richard Tresider

Rating:  3.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 79 (B GRADE PASS)

Comments:

This subject's course was re-written for the 2013 year. Information Technology Fundamentals is the first subject which is core for all students in the Bachelor of IT, and is available as an elective to students throughout the university.

Main areas of study:
* Computer theory
* Little Man Computer
* Databases (MS Access)
* Website creation (HTML, CSS and PHP)
* Excel
* Networking basics
* SEO
* Security - only touched on this right at the end of the semester.

This is a great introduction if you have never done IT, whether be at school as a VCE subject or at all. I personally thought the topics were a bit boring as I had previously done them in IT Applications in Year 12 (Similar to the RDBMS, website and Excel SAC's).

The only recommendation I can make is this: Don't place too much emphasis on the minor topics that are not covered for more than two weeks - for example, the networking portion. There was only five marks out of 120 on the entire exam (where I thought there would be alot more). Focus on the main practical topics (e.g. use of excel functions, macros, database queries) and ensure that you are confident in these areas. I'm not saying neglect the smaller topics, just that the main areas cover majority of the marks in the exam.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:22:26 pm by Aaron »

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: CSE2AIF - Artificial Intelligence Fundamentals 

Workload:

1 X 2hr lab per week

Assessment:

One programming assignment equiv to 1500 words - 30%

This is a programming assignment. The assignment has four independent questions. Typically, you will write a program in LISP that revolves around state-space search and representation. Other questions will be about implementing heuristics in LISP, and writing an expert system in PROLOG.

One 3-hour examination - 70%

Very similar to the past exams. If you have taken MAT1DM (Discrete Mathematics), the situation is the exact same. Refer to past exams early and often.

Lecture Recording Enabled:  No.

Past exams available:  Yes, many are available in the La Trobe library. No solutions provided.

Textbook Recommendation:  Not essential, but the recommended text is listed below:

Artificial intelligence: structures and strategies for complex problem solving.   Luger, G.   6th edn., Addison Wesley

Lecturer(s): Dr Andrew Skabar (excellent)

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 2, 2013

Comments:

CSE2AIF is an extremely challenging unit but also very rewarding. The lecturer is absolutely brilliant. Andrew explains concepts clearly and always with examples. The class size is fairly small so there's plenty of time for discussion in lectures (which is incredibly useful for the assignment).

If you can pass the assignment, you have cleared the biggest hurdle in this subject. The assignment is notorious - it will keep you up at night and it will give you a headache. BUT the marking scheme is fair and it's possible to do quite well on it.

The exam is only tough if you have not had adequate preparation. The format is very similar to the previous years. I strongly recommend completing at least 3 past exams in your own time. 

Out of the two programming languages covered in AIF, LISP is mostly used. PROLOG is relatively easy to pick up due to its declarative nature. Most students found the expert system question in the assignment to be the easiest of the 4. To understand what you need to know for the exam, I recommend referring to past exams to get an idea of the level of depth of LISP knowledge you'll require.

Not many IT students take AIF due to its difficulty. But I personally believe this subject is essential since artificial intelligence is becoming more prevalent in all aspects of computing these days (e.g. data mining). Furthermore, AIF is intellectually stimulating as nearly every topic is new to most students.

This subject is a core in the computer science degree but available as IT elective in the IT degree. Strongly recommended.

Topics:

* Introduction to AI

* LISP Programming

* State Space Search

* Informed search (heuristics)

* Game playing / Minimax search

* Predicate calculus

* Logic representation and inferencing

* PROLOG

* Expert systems

* Knowledge representation

* Machine learning (decision trees and neural networks)

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:14 pm »
+5
Subject Code/Name: CSE2DBF - Database Fundamentals 

Workload: 

1 X 2hr lab per week

Assessment:

One database design assignment - 15%

The DBF assignments follow the same format every year. You will be presented with a large case study and be asked to complete the following tasks:

a. Construct an EER diagram
b. Transform your EER diagram to a set of relational tables
c. Write the DDL statements (CREATE TABLE, etc.) for each table in your database

One database programming assignment -   20%

This assignment is a continuation of the previous design assignment. You will be provided with the correct schema for the database, and also the SQL script to populate your tables. You will be asked to:

a. Write SQL statements to meet a certain requirement
b. Write stored procedures/functions according to requirements
c. Write triggers in PL-SQL to meet requirements

Mid Semester Test (45 minutes) - 5%

A multiple choice test held in lecture that contains the following topics: ER/EER diagrams, normalisation, SQL statements and relational algebra. The class average for this test in 2013 was 3/10. Do not underestimate this test.

One 3-hour examination - 60%

A fair exam that tests all major concepts in the course. A typical DBF exam has 5 major questions broken up into sub-questions:

1. EER diagram
2. Normalisation
3. Relational Algebra
4. SQL Queries
5. PL-SQL (stored procedures, functions and triggers)

Past exams available:  No. There is a sample exam provided with solutions.

Textbook Recommendation:  None.

Lecturer(s): Dr Eric Pardede (excellent)

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 1, 2013

Your Mark/Grade: 86 (A)

Comments:

DBF is the best second year unit in the department. In most degrees this is a core so it's no surprise that this subject was the largest in my IT degree with around 200+ students. The subject is well co-ordinated and the tutors were great. Due to the class size, it should be no problem finding a lab time that suits your timetable.

Most students do not like DBF as they have an irrational fear of databases. DBF is arguably the most important subject you will take in an IT/CS degree. An understanding of relational databases is simply essential and cannot be ignored, especially in the area of computer programming. Too many students complete Object Oriented Fundamentals (OOF) and IOO without a sound understanding of how to store and retrieve their data.

DBF is not an extremely challenging subject but nobody says it's easy either. If you want to do well, practice at home is a must. There are loads of practice questions available so I recommend using them as an ongoing resource.

I recommend learning SQL before the semester begins. This will save you time during the semester when assignments pile up from other subjects.

The exam is what caught most people out. Do not expect an easy exam with basic questions. All of the questions will require you to think on the spot and come up with solutions. You cannot rote learn your way through DBF.

DBF naturally leads to third year computer science subjects such as 'Database Management Systems (CSE3DMS)' and 'Big Data Management on the Cloud (CSE3BDC)'. Strongly recommended. 5 stars.

Murphy was an optimist

― Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:14 pm »
+4
Subject Code/Name: CSE1IOO - Intermediate Object Oriented Programming

Workload:
2 x 1 hour lectures
1 x 1 hour practice class
1 x 2 hour computer laboratory

Assessment:
1 x Progress Check Test (5%)
Completed in Week 4 or 5 practice class, students complete a multiple choice and short answer test. It contributes 5% and covers basics of inheritance, polymorphism and general OO programming concepts which you should know.

1 x Assignment (20%)
This assignment would have had to been the most difficult Java assignment i've come across in my time. Previous years, the assignment has been relatively easy, but our current cohort was shocked when this assignment was released. We had to simulate a drawing board where we could add shapes to it. Technically speaking, it was a 2d array (using a coordinate-like system) and the use of inheritance/abstract classes/exceptions.... etc.

Do not underestimate this assignment - it's 20% for a reason. Seek as much help as you can if you don't understand the concepts. There is also an execution test which you have to attend to get it marked. 90% of the mark is for execution (that is, does it work correctly?) and the other 10% is judged based on code quality, correct naming conventions etc.

1 x Real Time Examination (15%)
This real time exam was quite easy and expected. The actual real time exam was close to the sample given with just a few words changed around. It's based on the API LinkedList class, so my suggestion is that you look up how to perform tasks using this.

1 x 3 hour exam (60%)
The exam is marked out of 180 (due to the 1 mark per minute rule) and was varied in terms of difficulty. My suggestion would be to go through the past exam with sample solutions and also go through your labs. Perhaps even do a few of the labs again as those questions were quite difficult as well.

Main topics of the exam (2014, Semester 1):
* Recursion - ability to trace recursion operations and understanding what the method is doing.
* Manual LinkedList - creating your own node/list/individual (e.g. Item, ItemNode and ItemList).
* API LinkedList - using the Java built-in LinkedList class (import java.util.LinkedList)
* Exception handling - try/catch blocks, when to catch/propagate/throw?
* Generics - converting a non-generic class into a generic class (e.g. from a double to T)
* Interfaces - know how to write an interface and how to implement it into a class.

(all I can remember off the top of my head)

They weren't available at the beginning but they were turned on around about week 2-3. Don't count on it being available in the future though.

Past exams available: There was one available.

Textbook Recommendation:  Absolute Java 5th ed, Savitch.

Not a necessity but very helpful as you can take in a textbook to the real time. It's always good to have a reference too.

Lecturer(s): Dr Kinh Nguyen (Subject Coordinator and Lecturer Weeks 1-6), Mitzi McCarthy (Weeks 7-12)

Year & Semester of completion: 2014, Semester 1

Comments:

This subject is the continuation of CSE1OOF (Object Oriented Programming Fundamentals), so you need to know and understand your stuff before you start this subject. The subject assumes you know everything from the previous, and thus continues on in accordance with the textbook (Absolute Java). Don't fret though, lecture notes are provided so it's not like you have to have the textbook.

The main topics of IOO are as follows: Inheritance, Polymorphism, Exception handling, File Handling (reading/writing/modifying binary files and regular text files), Recursion, Interfaces, Generics, LinkedLists, API LinkedLists, Stack traces.

I personally thought this subject was my favourite as usual (see my CSE1OOF review as well), as I enjoy programming as it reflects my mark as well.

The main point I think i'd like to make is, don't underestimate it because it has the 1 in the subject code. Even though it's technically a first year subject, there's a reason why it's after OOF and completed in 2nd year for Bachelor of IT students. It explores the concepts more in-depth whilst introducing many new topics as well.

Looking at the assignment from 2013 they gave students, I thought I was in the easiest subject.. However that all changed when I was given my assignment. As I have said above, the assignment was a drawing board task where we had to design an interactive menu where the user could specify window dimensions, and add shapes accordingly to the drawing board. It was simply put like this:

* Use of a 2D array to set out some 'coordinate' like system.
* Setting out the assignment so that there was an class/object for each shape.
* Adding/removing shapes to the array whilst drawing them at the same time.

Some advice to students completing CSE1IOO:

* As I pointed out above, don't underestimate any part of assessment. Just because you found OOF easy does not mean you'll find this easy.
* Be prepared for any situation for the exam. The sample exam may not always reflect the actual real thing.
* Do the labs. This is where you learn majority of the content. Lectures are essentially only a brief presentation or summary of concepts.