Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:39 pm

Author Topic: Law degree questions (JD, postgrad, undergrad)  (Read 1042 times)  Share 

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Law degree questions (JD, postgrad, undergrad)
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:31:30 pm »
Hi! I have a couple of questions and would greatly appreciate if anyone could give some input  :D
1. Does the degree you study before your post-graduate law degree affect anything in terms of employability ?
2. Are some undergraduate degrees preferred when it comes to employment, and some that are "looked down upon"?
3. Is it worth pursuing a JD degree (e.g. at Melb or RMIT) after undergraduate studies or is it better to just go straight into Law (e.g. Latrobe)?
4. If I want to study a JD at unimelb, is it better to study an undergraduate degree there as well?
thank you (:

(edit: pls move to law faculty thread if needed  :-X )
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:37:09 pm by jeydanaazli »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Law degree questions (JD, postgrad, undergrad)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:44:38 pm »
+3

1. Does the degree you study before your post-graduate law degree affect anything in terms of employability ?
I am not a law student but I don't think there is a difference.
Discussion of undergrad law vs JD have been had before on ATAR Notes, the following thread should help.
Difference between Melbourne JD and Monash Undergrad Law?

2. Are some undergraduate degrees preferred when it comes to employment, and some that are "looked down upon"?

I don't think any are "looked down upon" but degrees from non-Go8 may be unfavourable for those big firms.

3. Is it worth pursuing a JD degree (e.g. at Melb or RMIT) after undergraduate studies or is it better to just go straight into Law (e.g. Latrobe)?
There are pros and cons for both pathways - it will all depend on what suits you.
Personally, if I was 100% sure I wanted to do law and nothing else I would go to a straight undergrad degree (you can do a double degree too). But if I was unsure, I would do a different undergrad degree with law electives to see whether I liked it.

4. If I want to study a JD at unimelb, is it better to study an undergraduate degree there as well?
No there is no preference to undergrad unimelb students in the Juris Doctor.
The entry criteria is the following:
"1. Academic performance in all previous tertiary studies
 2. Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score and writing sample"

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: Law degree questions (JD, postgrad, undergrad)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:00:41 pm »
I am not a law student but I don't think there is a difference.
Discussion of undergrad law vs JD have been had before on ATAR Notes, the following thread should help.
Difference between Melbourne JD and Monash Undergrad Law?

I don't think any are "looked down upon" but degrees from non-Go8 may be unfavourable for those big firms.

There are pros and cons for both pathways - it will all depend on what suits you.
Personally, if I was 100% sure I wanted to do law and nothing else I would go to a straight undergrad degree (you can do a double degree too). But if I was unsure, I would do a different undergrad degree with law electives to see whether I liked it.

No there is no preference to undergrad unimelb students in the Juris Doctor.
The entry criteria is the following:
"1. Academic performance in all previous tertiary studies
 2. Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score and writing sample"

Thank you Sine !