Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:55 pm

Author Topic: Important Unit 1 topics that lead into 3/4  (Read 867 times)  Share 

linesido

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Important Unit 1 topics that lead into 3/4
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »
Hi AN,
Because my school has compulsory Religion in Yr 11, i had to split my Chemistry (Unit 2)and Physics (Unit 1). I'm pretty set up for Chemistry and know what to do to catch up. But physics is slightly worrying me. The physics teacher at my school said that unit 1 isn't important for 3/4, except for a few minor topics. She left midway term 3 without telling me the topics smh.

So I was wondering what those topics were.

thanks.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Important Unit 1 topics that lead into 3/4
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:44:22 pm »
+2
Hi AN,
Because my school has compulsory Religion in Yr 11, i had to split my Chemistry (Unit 2)and Physics (Unit 1). I'm pretty set up for Chemistry and know what to do to catch up. But physics is slightly worrying me. The physics teacher at my school said that unit 1 isn't important for 3/4, except for a few minor topics. She left midway term 3 without telling me the topics smh.

So I was wondering what those topics were.

thanks.

Hi linesido!
If you have done Unit 2 Chem, there are quite a few overlapping topics such as Latent heat/Specific heat capacity which were covered in Thermodynamics in Unit 1 Physics (Covers AOS 1 in Unit 1 Physics). Unit 1 of Physics is pretty much useless compared to Unit 2 (which you definitely need a lot).
If you really want to go over Unit 1 I would recommend AOS 2 (electricity) and AOS 3 (matter) however I strongly suggest it might be better getting straight into Unit 3. I have had friends that have not even done Unit 1/2 of Physics at all and were able to achieve high 40s with just revision from Unit 2 (Unit 2 is considered known knowledge before commencing Unit 3 so if you have that you should be alright!)

Hope that helps!

be_amazed

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Important Unit 1 topics that lead into 3/4
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:49:15 pm »
+1
Heat transfer - not relevant to year 12
Electricity - kind of relevant... year 12 deals more with the generation of electricity, but you need a good understanding of voltage, current, resistance, power, etc, and relevant calculations
Motion (Unit 2) - VERY relevant. Focus on this.