Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:19 pm

Author Topic: Pen for English Exam?  (Read 27028 times)  Share 

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Nagle College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Pen for English Exam?
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:53 am »
I know this sounds a bit stupid, but what pens are you guys going to use for the English exam?

I'm finding my hand is cramping up a lot after about 1 hour of writing, some pens have delayed this, some have exacerbated it.

I love my Bic 4-in-1's, but will have to find a grip for it I think.
2011: Psychology (46) P.E (46)
2012: English (47) Italian (29) Methods (36) Physics (39)
ATAR: 98.40

My name aint bob

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • The crazed lurker of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +4
Re: Pen for English Exam?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
dont worry, i love over-prepping these little things, it helps makes me feel like iv one-upped everyone else.

im thinking a bic 4 pen, i started using them this year and there quite reliable. Theres also a more squarish one they have started selling, it comes with a nice grip (though swear when i write with it it lets out more ink and can smudge more) so there's probably a few sitting around the Safeway shelves you can pick up and try
2011: Biology [35 --->36]
2012 raw aims: english[30] Chemistry[35] methods[35] further [45] physics:[35]

"Damn girl.. I loved the way you moved dat bishop"

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:06:10 pm »
I suggest of head to a pen boutique and pick something that you feel comfortable with.

There is a large range of pens, ranging from ~$5-10 to the thousands.

I picked one up for a reasonable amount of money and it's great. Writes beautifully and is very comfortable.
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »
I agree with Surgeon, having a good and reliable pen will be something that you will come to love. I'm not suggesting a thousand dollar pen with encrusted diamond and a gold tip, but something like a nice Waterman which will last you at least a decade.

I have a nice pen which I've been using since Year 12 - it writes nicely and is very reliable. Carry some ink refills and it'll always be able to go strong.

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »
I agree with Surgeon, having a good and reliable pen will be something that you will come to love. I'm not suggesting a thousand dollar pen with encrusted diamond and a gold tip, but something like a nice Waterman which will last you at least a decade.

I have a nice pen which I've been using since Year 12 - it writes nicely and is very reliable. Carry some ink refills and it'll always be able to go strong.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bb21HIgPY
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
+1

Was that link to the Chang video saying GAYYYYY (there was a page of videos that came up)!!! Haha, regardless, God I love Community!

Zidane

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:35:39 pm »

Was that link to the Chang video saying GAYYYYY (there was a page of videos that came up)!!! Haha, regardless, God I love Community!

lol i saw it came up on my screen too, gotta love senor Chang

http://hahgay.com/

this just gets me everytime XD

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »
+1

these were very good for my english exam - the ink comes out very easily so it was easy on my hands and I did not have any hand-cramps when I was writing.
only con is that they run out quickly because a lot of ink comes out but they're not too pricey
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:35 pm »
(Image removed from quote.)

these were very good for my english exam - the ink comes out very easily so it was easy on my hands and I did not have any hand-cramps when I was writing.
only con is that they run out quickly because a lot of ink comes out but they're not too pricey

Thanks Furbob, I'll grab a pack tonight and test them out. I think I'll just buy a range and see how I go with them all. Then when I head to the city, go to a pen shop and test out a few like Surgeon and Paulsterio suggested.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »
+4
I personally recommend any cheap uniball pen that feels ergonomically viable to you.  It's hard to generally suggest a particular make for a pen since everybody holds pens differently, but at the very least uniballs are fluid, reliable, and fairly price-effective.  I would also recommend a smaller tip rather than a larger one (I think I used 0.7 for the exam?), mostly because it's easier to read when the lines are cleaner.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »
I used these bad boys

http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/computers-office/stationery/bpnBIGW_0000000083787/paper-mate-kilometrico-pen-black-15-pack?utm_source=GoogleProductFeed&utm_medium=cpc&origin=%7Badtype%7D&id=%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D&gclid=CIKynIzthLICFQlLpgodk2AAxg

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not fussy about pens, as long as they work and aren't too heavy, they're good enough to use.

Some may argue there's no grip and might strain their hands. But under the exam pressure anyway the last thing I think about is any pain in my hands.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Felicity Wishes

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Mater Christi College
Psychology and psychophysiology (Swinburne)

Eddiee

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:25 pm »
+1
im thinking a bic 4 pen, i started using them this year and there quite reliable. Theres also a more squarish one they have started selling, it comes with a nice grip (though swear when i write with it it lets out more ink and can smudge more) so there's probably a few sitting around the Safeway shelves you can pick up and try

Hmm everyone I know seems to go for the Bic 4 pens... personally I like these ones better, been using them for years now:

Hate it when I run out of blue ink though lol.