Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:13:46 am

Author Topic: odds of me getting into undergraduate medicine at monash  (Read 1648 times)  Share 

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
odds of me getting into undergraduate medicine at monash
« on: June 16, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »
my prospect of getting in seems incredibly low. especially being this far in year 12. I think my sac scores for the majority of my subjects have been pretty good but I go to a disadvantaged, low ranked school so surely my scores will get scaled down compared to the top private schools. also, they are probably not good enough to get high 40's. I think I can apply for seas but that can only so much.

I have already messed up on my first chemistry mark and my second sac mark is coming soon- my hopes for that aren't looking too good. My UCAT exam is also approaching soon and I have barely studied for it so that will probably be a pretty average mark. honestly, my hopes of getting into medicine at all are looking pretty low. I don't think I'm disciplined enough and the odds of getting in further down the line decrease even more. if I can't even get past this stage, how can I expect myself to face the other challenges and MUCH harder exams that are part of becoming a doctor?

2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: odds of me getting into undergraduate medicine at monash
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
+10
Look, no one can really say if you are going to get in. I'm sure you are aware of the people with high ATARs/UCAT scores who don't make it in because of the interview. With this unknown factor, it is impossible to be certain with the outcome. That being said, you can still achieve high scores going to a disadvantaged school, especially if you get a high exam mark. You're halfway through the year - don't give up now! Yes, if your cohort performs worse on the exam then your scores will scale down unless you are rank 1/ranked relatively high. It's no use worrying about things you simply cannot control. I recommend that you focus on what you can control - the amount of effort you put in now and in the future. There is still ~2 weeks till the UCAT testing period to start, so start practising now if you haven't already. If you feel you aren't disciplined enough to achieve the scores you want to achieve - work towards improving that. Don't worry about facing challenges as a doctor - focus on getting through now. It's like being in year 3 and looking at the maths you do in year 10 - you'll think it's impossible and worry at how you will be able to do that in the future. When you get to year 10, the maths doesn't seem so difficult after all. It's the same thing here. Looking at the things doctors have to do and face may be daunting now, but once you get to that stage, you will have the necessary experience and skillset to deal with it.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash