Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:41 am

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80036 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2019, 11:39:43 pm »
+5
Great update! Sorry to hear about the recipe - quite the ordeal by the sounds of it. 😱 But hey, I guess it's all part of the fun (hah), and it's great to learn new things along the way. 👍

Thank you, it is so true about what you learn on the way! The base is a recipe to keep. I just have to find another filling!
wow i feel you on a spiritual level - it's tough now :(

also, even if the recipe/your baking wasn't as good as you hoped, don't worry! you always have opportunities to go through what you have already made and alter them to make something even better! it also inspires me to maybe actually cook something other than ramen this holidays haha

Holidays is probably the only time you can really put into baking something big! There are so many things to make, pinterest can get those creative juices flowing! Have you baked anything these holidays yet? It is so nice to know other people relate when it comes to VCE life! And with the end of the year coming, its a bit of a ahhhhhhhh nothing makes sense anymore!!!! Anyway enjoy your holidays :D
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2019, 03:47:25 pm »
+2
Holidays is probably the only time you can really put into baking something big! There are so many things to make, pinterest can get those creative juices flowing! Have you baked anything these holidays yet? It is so nice to know other people relate when it comes to VCE life! And with the end of the year coming, its a bit of a ahhhhhhhh nothing makes sense anymore!!!! Anyway enjoy your holidays :D
i agree with you!! i did some small crafts this holidays hehe – ah i really miss the good old days when i could scroll through pinterest and find crafts to do every day after school :(. i really enjoy baking as well, but unfortunately have been too lazy to bake anything yet D: i might actually bake some scones tomorrow though! and yessss omg i feel like everything that i have learnt at the start of the year has slowly drained out  :-\ – enjoy your holidays as well!!

2019 vce journal here

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2019, 12:26:58 pm »
+5
Term 3 - 17/07/2019

I am really not prepared for the holidays to be over. I still feel burnt out even though I have barely done anything, and I am finding it hard to find motivation to do work. I didn't end up having a good holiday :-\. The first week I did nothing! I was just so burnt out from all the work I did in the second semester, and needed a break to relax and not be so worked up on marks and overdue work. I did a bit of reading, lots of YouTube, and knocked of a few shows and seasons on Netflix. My health was also not going so well at the time, and is still struggling to recuperate from two colds. By the second week, i have developed a really bad cold, which is the second one within a months span, and this really knocked me out! I am still recovering from it, but my regular health symptoms have become worse due to being inactive as well.

Since I was so sick, I didn't complete any of the work I set out for my self on the holidays. I can only blame myself, since I didn't do any in the first week, but I was just so warn out that I had no motivation to do anything but be a potato. So whilst I am very disappointed in my lack of work I did, I am glad I got to rest. This is the last term of full on heavy study, then it is a race to to the end of the year for me; November 1st. So I need to hold out till then I can take a good break. This term will be focused on my preparing for the end of year biology exam and it's SACs. My confidence in this subject has gone down since last term, as I had a major screw up moment and got a crappy SAC score for my last one. I am still aiming for the 45+, but it seems just that bit harder now. In order to try help get my health better, I really need to get of my butt and start exercising again. Looking outside however, it isn't the nicest weather to do so at the moment. My diet should also be improved! I don't know if anyone else likes the new large block BOOST bar, but it has become my favorite along with the Maltesers one. I kinda of eat quite a few of those over the holidays and I am kind of regretting it now, opps. But they were so ggggoooooodddddd

I managed to watch season 3 of stranger things! First 3 episode were very slow, but it worked up to being a great fast paced season. I really wanted to go see the Spiderman movie, but plans fell through so I didn't get to. Found out I need to get my wisdom teeth out soon yay
So that will be happening in January next year! Right before school starts up again, yay. *sarcastic

So anyway, I am getting back on track with my school work load now, and have found a small amount of motivation. I don't know if anyone else does this, but watching other people study or take notes can be really helpful to get some motivation. I have also found that if I take care and do nice looking notes, I am move likely to do them and go over them for revision. Currently up to date on English and Chemistry, and need to get on maths (two weeks behind) before anything like last semester happened. Anyway, welcome back to school everyone!

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2019, 03:56:07 pm »
+2
Hey Geoo! I hope that cold gets better soon! It's great to see that you're picking up your motivation again...keep it up and don't lose hope for bio ;D
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2019, 05:00:37 pm »
+2
Term 3 - 17/07/2019
 Found out I need to get my wisdom teeth out soon yay
So that will be happening in January next year! Right before school starts up again, yay. *sarcastic

*the pain*

2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2019, 05:26:33 pm »
+2
I am really not prepared for the holidays to be over. I still feel burnt out even though I have barely done anything, and I am finding it hard to find motivation to do work.

Certainly a common struggle!

My diet should also be improved! I don't know if anyone else likes the new large block BOOST bar, but it has become my favorite along with the Maltesers one. I kinda of eat quite a few of those over the holidays and I am kind of regretting it now, opps.

That's such a mood!

So anyway, I am getting back on track with my school work load now, and have found a small amount of motivation. I don't know if anyone else does this, but watching other people study or take notes can be really helpful to get some motivation. I have also found that if I take care and do nice looking notes, I am move likely to do them and go over them for revision. Currently up to date on English and Chemistry, and need to get on maths (two weeks behind) before anything like last semester happened. Anyway, welcome back to school everyone!

Good to hear, and great advice. Best of luck with the term ahead! ;D

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2019, 03:52:26 pm »
+3
Hey Geoo! I hope that cold gets better soon! It's great to see that you're picking up your motivation again...keep it up and don't lose hope for bio ;D
Awwww thank you! That means alot to me.
*the pain*
Yeah I am not looking forward to that. I am still scared of the pain when I wake up, but apparently I get local anesthetic that lasts 6-8 hours so yay, I guess?
Certainly a common struggle!

That's such a mood!

Good to hear, and great advice. Best of luck with the term ahead! ;D
Yesss, the final term before exams! Best of luck to you too!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2019, 06:40:19 pm »
+6
Term 3 - 26/07/2019

I must say, I am quite surprised at how unproductive I have been this week. I just can't get work done. My health isn't to flash hot at the moment, and it is really dragging me down. My sleep is a big ball of mess as well. I have been trying to get it down back into a normal routine, but it just isn't happening. After all the colds I went through, my sleep just got so out of wack, that trying to get it back to normal is a nightmare. I am going to sleep at 2 am and waking up at 10. I feel so unproductive, and it just pains me, as I know I will have to do the work later on, which means my weekends aren't exactly relaxing.

Ok so aside from having an early life crisis, my studies have been ok. I have no motivation at the moment, and have lost quite a lot of passion for what I am interested in. All I want is for my study mojo to come back. The good thing is, is that there are no SACs at the moment, but it is about to become hectic. I have at least one SAC coming up for every week of August and September, with some weeks having 3, so I would like to get out of this funk now.
The only exciting thing that is happening is that my local pet clinic is reopening this weekend, and I get to go play with a bunch of rescue kittens. I am a cat and dog person, but I can't resit small kittens, they are just full of energy and fun to play with. Unlike my old cats at home, I love them to bits, but they are really showing their age.

Biology
So being is unit 4 is quite scary. I am not ready for the exam, and it is all becoming quite confronting. My school decided to do AOS 2 first, so I am working on DNA manipulation, GMOs, DNA replication with PCR and gel electrophoresis. For some odd reason I am struggling with the ethics behind some of the practices. I think that because some ethics are based on opinions, it can get a little fuzzy as to what the right answer is. Aside from that, the study is going steady. I am pretty much up to date aside from a few tasks that I will finish tonight. However, I have 2 SACs coming up though. Next week is the start to the 4 week long poster SAC for outcome 3. This comes with a LAB day and stress. In the middle of that SAC is another one covering the first four weeks of the unit with AOS 2. I am really stressed when it comes to how I will go. Since I dropped rank and marks in the last SAC of unit 3, I need to be pretty much perfect for unit 4 to get a 45+ study score. I know I shouldn't go over the top on worrying about this stuff, but I can't seem to stop. I also don't know when I should start to revise and prepare for the exam, should I start later or now. I think I just need to sit down and make a plan for revising and then practice exams/ topic tests. I think I am just screaming on the inside.

English
English this unit just keeps getting worse and worse. I know that some people LOVE poetry, but I am one of those people that despises it. Stories that are able to go in depth with themes, world building, character development and story telling is what I want to read. Even if the story is on a mundane topic. These two poems were all about moving house. MOVING HOUSE! This has to be one of the most boring things I have ever had to do. Of all topics. This is such a first world problem, and I am most likely offending people, but I just can't with this. If we are going to do poetry, could we do it on a more serious topic at least. Sorry to all you literature fans, and sorry to this mini rant but i had to say it. As I said to my teacher, "I would rather read Vogon Poetry". Hopefully you know the reference. Next week is a comparative essay SAC, so that will be a nice change of pace.

Chemistry
There are no SACs in sight for this subject. My teacher is saving them all for three weeks in a row. Which I don't mind, as I can just get them out of the way with out, and leaving my less stressed. My favorite subject is still boring at the moment. I think it is picking up pace again though, as we are getting into acids and bases now, which have been much more fun to learn about in the past. I need to do a home experiment with some purple cabbage so that will be interesting to do. I just find it funny, that I saw the same type of experiment on kids science shows growing up for "at home science experiments".

Food Studies
This is my easiest subject at the moment. I am not putting in a great amount of effort in for, so it is a nice change of pace compared to the rest of my subjects. We are going over design briefs, and producing new products, along with going over safety processors like using a HACCP plan. Over the weekend I am going to make a miso spicy mushroom burger, that fitted the class design brief last week. So a photo should be coming soon. I don't have any upcoming SACs, and even if I did, non of them are timed. One of the weird things I found, was that for most unit 1 & 2 subjects, most of my SACs aren't under timed conditions. On the one hand this is great, as it is less stressful, and allows me to go into more depth for the those lovely marks. But on the other, it doesn't prepare me much for next year, so that is a bit scary.

Maths Methods
4 weeks behind.................
I should get onto that ;D

So that is my last two ish weeks. Thank you all for reading, and enjoy the weekend, and sorry that this is a bit negative  :)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »
+5
Term 3 - 29/07/2019

Kind of a crappy photo, but here are my Miso Spicy Mushroom Burgers for food studies last week.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:35:58 pm by Geoo »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2019, 02:49:49 pm »
+2
I don't know if this helps, but I got around 60% on one of my bio SACs (this was the SAC after our one based on a gel electrophoresis prac) and met your study score goal so it's definitely possible to recover from not-great marks.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:40 pm »
+3
Term 3 - 29/07/2019

Kind of a crappy photo, but here are my Miso Spicy Mushroom Burgers for food studies last week.
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks yum! Do you have a recipe?

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2019, 11:49:55 pm »
+4
I don't know if this helps, but I got around 60% on one of my bio SACs (this was the SAC after our one based on a gel electrophoresis prac) and met your study score goal so it's definitely possible to recover from not-great marks.

That makes me feel so much better! Since it happened a while ago, I have come to terms with it, but I am scared that if I don't do super well for unit 4, I won't get the mark. But thank you so much for your encouragement, it means alot.
Looks yum! Do you have a recipe?
My family thought it was pretty good considering it had mushrooms in it! I am not a massive mushroom fan, but this was really nice, better for summer though! Here is the recipe .
Enjoy!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2019, 01:39:26 pm »
+6
Term 3 - 04/08/2019

So close to exams now and under 100 days for the biology exam, it is definitely starting to feel real. I haven't even started on exam prep, I am still in the study for SACs mindset, so I really need to start on that soon. I really like to review/revise content by making poster from A4 pieces of paper, and just blurt out everything on a topic, I already have 10 on my wall, but it will definitely start to get bigger soon. This week was off to a slow start, as I had two doctors appointments in the city, so that knocked me out for a few days, and so I didn't get much done. On the Thursday, I finally picked my butt of the ground and started doing some work.

I have decided that I want to apply to the Monash Chemistry enrichment program, if that is what it's called I am not sure. My favorite subject is chemistry, with biology not to far behind. It seems like a great opportunity, and I heard that people find doing chem 3/4 and the program is great for revision. I don't know if my grades will match up though, so I can just try to get in, and that's all I can do. I am a bit annoyed that I can't make it to any of the open days this year, which means I am leaving it late till next year for preferences. Unfortunately, the timing wasn't right, and I had other commitments, so I am just hoping that I may just give the uni'a a ring, and see if I can get some information over the phone. I mainly just want to hear from the students on what the courses I am interested in are like.

My posts over the last couple of months have been quite negative, and I think I would really like to change my mindset into a more positive one. I am currently compromising my health by prioritising school work, which is one of the worse things I could do. I really need to cut down on the sugar, I have a super bad addiction to it. I am not a coffee drinker (maybe 1 or 2 cups a year) so I rely on chocolate for an energy boost to keep my awake for the all nighters. I need to get back into exercise to, but with it being winter, it has been really hard to get motivated to move. So yeah, I think the goal of this month is to get my lifestyle/health back on track, and for my sleep to get better!

Subjects

English
This week was just writing a draft comparative essay SAC. I had to compare the two short stories from the first two weeks of unit 2. I kept putting it off, so I left it late and had to cram to get it in. I thought that it was an ok essay. I have a hard time with explain the concept/theme by me just retelling what happened in the story. My spelling is also so heavily reliant of spell check, that I am scared for the exam. I also found out after some investigating that the english exam is just three different types of essays, so I just need to start practicing doing them under timed conditions. I am also hoping to get a tutor eventually, as I think I just need a bit of one on one to improve.

Biology
So this is becoming my most and least stressful, it's weird. I am currently going into the investigation part, where I need to write up a poster based on an experiment. This is going to take four weeks, but should only be a total of 12 hours from experiment to finish. So I am going from studying 15 hours a week, to just 2-3. So in that regard, that is great! On the other hand, next week I have the first SAC on pandemics, GMOs, gel electrophersis etc, and I am starting to panic. I am still banging my head against the wall over my unit three stuff up, so I feel the pressure to get a near perfect for unit 4. Since the school I go to is very low ranking (350's), and I have a below average cohort, and I want to get over a 45 (originally I was aiming for a 50, but that is no longer possible), I just feel so stressed about it. So I am going to have to bunker down and get revising.

Chemistry
Currently one week behind at the moment, but I should hopefully get up to date for the lab day this week. Everyone is moving onto week 6, when I am stuck on week 5. I haven't been able to do many of the experiments, some of the chemicals are very irritating to my skin, it drives me bonkers. So I am currently in the process of catching up, and at the moment, there are still no SACs in sight, which I am not complaining about.

Food Studies
After the mushroom burger creation, I get a whole week off. I have no work to do, and no classes to attend, so I can concentrate on other subjects (maths....). I do have a SAC the week after though, which has quite a lot involved, but it isn't a timed SAC, and I have access to textbooks and notes, so I am not going to bother studying for it. So this has just ended up being my chillist subjects.

Maths Methods
I am a wonderful, 5 weeks behind. I am not proud of my self, and I have always tried to start catching up, but so much has just popped up in the way, that I have avoided it. I am hoping to knock one week off today, so I can start to relieve my stress over it. It is getting so busy at the moment that I am finding it hard to find time to catch up. If I do two weeks of work in a week, then I can catch up in three weeks, but that my be to late for the first SAC, which is on the 23rd of August. I also heard circular functions are a hard subject to work through, so wish me luck.

Other stuff
Thank you everyone who participated in the monthly pole. August's pole, will be What Is Your Favorite Subject.

As for anything else, I haven't gotten to much else. My reading life has gone stagnate, and study seems to be my main focus, so something needs to changes. Till next time.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2019, 04:39:30 pm »
+4
I have decided that I want to apply to the Monash Chemistry enrichment program, if that is what it's called I am not sure. My favorite subject is chemistry, with biology not to far behind. It seems like a great opportunity, and I heard that people find doing chem 3/4 and the program is great for revision. I don't know if my grades will match up though, so I can just try to get in, and that's all I can do. I am a bit annoyed that I can't make it to any of the open days this year, which means I am leaving it late till next year for preferences. Unfortunately, the timing wasn't right, and I had other commitments, so I am just hoping that I may just give the uni'a a ring, and see if I can get some information over the phone. I mainly just want to hear from the students on what the courses I am interested in are like.

Like you, I am looking at applying for a Uni Enrichment program. Seems like it would be super duper beneficial. Such a shame about Open Days. I went to LaTrobe today, and the best bit by far was talking to past and current students. Hopefully, you'll find someone who can put you in contact with some students by phoning the Uni. Doing an enrichment program would also help with that.

My posts over the last couple of months have been quite negative, and I think I would really like to change my mindset into a more positive one. I am currently compromising my health by prioritising school work, which is one of the worse things I could do. I really need to cut down on the sugar, I have a super bad addiction to it. I am not a coffee drinker (maybe 1 or 2 cups a year) so I rely on chocolate for an energy boost to keep my awake for the all nighters. I need to get back into exercise to, but with it being winter, it has been really hard to get motivated to move. So yeah, I think the goal of this month is to get my lifestyle/health back on track, and for my sleep to get better!

Wishing you luck! I love YouTube workouts. If you need some motivation, try Tom Daley's workouts. The thought of watching one of his videos is how I drag myself out of bed in the morning. lol

Maths Methods
I am a wonderful, 5 weeks behind. I am not proud of my self, and I have always tried to start catching up, but so much has just popped up in the way, that I have avoided it. I am hoping to knock one week off today, so I can start to relieve my stress over it. It is getting so busy at the moment that I am finding it hard to find time to catch up. If I do two weeks of work in a week, then I can catch up in three weeks, but that my be to late for the first SAC, which is on the 23rd of August. I also heard circular functions are a hard subject to work through, so wish me luck.

Also very behind in maths and totally feeling your pain. Just avoiding maths at all costs, including thinking about how behind I am. I quite enjoyed the extension unit on circular functions that I did, I found that it was fairly straightforward in terms of memorisation, but there were some difficult applications.

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2019, 09:57:34 pm »
+1
Like you, I am looking at applying for a Uni Enrichment program. Seems like it would be super duper beneficial. Such a shame about Open Days. I went to LaTrobe today, and the best bit by far was talking to past and current students. Hopefully, you'll find someone who can put you in contact with some students by phoning the Uni. Doing an enrichment program would also help with that.

Wishing you luck! I love YouTube workouts. If you need some motivation, try Tom Daley's workouts. The thought of watching one of his videos is how I drag myself out of bed in the morning. lol

Also very behind in maths and totally feeling your pain. Just avoiding maths at all costs, including thinking about how behind I am. I quite enjoyed the extension unit on circular functions that I did, I found that it was fairly straightforward in terms of memorisation, but there were some difficult applications.
I heard so many people went and had an awesome time, at the open days, do I am super jealous. I'm glad you had a good time! Do you know what are of study you are interested in for the uni enrichment program?

Oh yeah, I have done some of Tom Daley's work outs before, and they are really awesome. My favourite is the leg one, but I do like to skip leg days! cause i'm lazy.

Yay (but not really), it's nice to know someone else is falling behind in maths! I didn't end up doing any maths today at all, so I am very frustrated, so it just keeps piling up! I hope circular isn't that bad. I have heard some people find it easy or the worst thing in the world. Go luck with catching up!