Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:53 am

Author Topic: How much do you care about Australian politics?  (Read 4854 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
How much do you care about Australian politics?
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:33:37 pm »
I turned 18 a few short months after the election, so I couldn't vote. Still didn't stop me from watching the election night coverage. I also find Question Time to be quite entertaining. I live in a safe Labor seat, so I don't reckon anything's going to happen around here anytime soon lol. To date, that has been my experience of Australian politics. Don't even get me started on my political views. Let's just say they haven't been established yet. I don't know why, but I find politics to be somewhat interesting.

Do any of you care at all about our country's politics?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: How much do you care about Australian politics?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:20 pm »
+1
I turned 18 a few short months after the election, so I couldn't vote. Still didn't stop me from watching the election night coverage. I also find Question Time to be quite entertaining. I live in a safe Labor seat, so I don't reckon anything's going to happen around here anytime soon lol. To date, that has been my experience of Australian politics. Don't even get me started on my political views. Let's just say they haven't been established yet. I don't know why, but I find politics to be somewhat interesting.

Do any of you care at all about our country's politics?
Tbh Australian politics is a minefield. Partly because we burn through Prime Ministers faster than anything. The last somewhat good Prime Minister was I think Kevin Rudd or John Howard. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm not into politics..

Personally I don't find Politics interesting at all.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
+6
Tbh Australian politics is a minefield. Partly because we burn through Prime Ministers faster than anything. The last somewhat good Prime Minister was I think Kevin Rudd or John Howard. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm not into politics..

Personally I don't find Politics interesting at all.

Depends what you mean by good! Haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 04:42:52 pm »
Depends what you mean by good! Haha.
See that just proves I know nothing about this. I'm just basing it off what I've heard from heaps of people lol

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
+6
I don't find Australian politics to be the most intriguing as I don't think we are that significant on the international stage. Still I was quite tuned into this year's election especially as I turned 18 just prior to that so I got to vote. I was actually in a part of the live studio audience of the pre-election episdoe of QandA with Richard Di Natale, Tanya Plibersek, and Simon Birmingham, which was quite interesting to watch.

In terms of political views I don't think it's bad that you don't have firmly established viewpoints. Generally those are the people who are so caught up in their own thoughts they refuse to listen to what others have to say, and I think that is dangerous. No matter what your views are, you must always be open to opposition, otherwise you can never grow.

Partly because we burn through Prime Ministers faster than anything.
I think I saw somewhere that the last time we had a PM who served a full term, the iPhone hasn't been invented.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:36:14 pm »
+3
None whatsoever anymore. I used to watch Question Time, Q&A etc but now I don't engage whatsoever with anything politics-related anymore. Taking action to remove a sitting PM due to greed and ambition is the reason (or a significant part of) why I disengaged. It's a backstabbing sport.

A few others too:
- The "he said she said" game which constantly goes round and round in circles
- No care for the everyday person
- Inability to speak truthfully and frank with the public during media conferences.
- Crossbench agreeing to certain legislation if (and only if) they get what they want.
- Speaking of seat safety, it's disappointing that attention and spending is based on how under threat that MP/seat is from changing...... exhibit A school infrastructure upgrades (this is more a state thing but still)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:55:20 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile