Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:14:36 am

Author Topic: Advice for the exam.  (Read 1337 times)  Share 

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
Advice for the exam.
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:02 am »
okay, this thread is for the purpose of tips and advice, that can be used in the upcoming exam...
1. always read the questions very carefully, so that you can properly interpret it, and determine the  appropriate answer.
2. if you find a question hard, leave it and come back to it later, as you should be able to come up with a better answer later on (i.e. from more motivation)
3. when asked to create an example about a specific situation in the question, always relate to the info in the question. (for example, if they ask, how could, bob the cow efficiently remember the steps involved in effectively eating grass, to increase her(yes bob is a female) milk yield?
you could give an example of the method of loci, but you must mention bob and the information bob wants to remember
4. I recommend reading the short answer questions first, as they are usually more difficult and require more effort to answer, but when you begin writing complete th multiple choice questions first.
5. if you have time when you finish, go over your answers (start with the answers which you are the most unsure about)
6. don't let yourself be negatively affected by the multitudes of your nervous classmates who think they will fail. Waiting in another empty room helps me to effectively prepare myself for exams. (this is only really necessary if you can be largely influenced by nervous people)
7. believe in your own abilities, and you will produce much better answers.
8. get to school early, because you will be screwed over if you arrive late.
9. Do your best, and don't give up.
10. good luck, and let's pwn this exam!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:33:53 am by sillysmile »
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
Re: Advice for the exam.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:19 pm »
thanks...

i always misread questions
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

coolhat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »
In the Short answer section, problems again arose in terms of failure to address command terms in questions, or failure to relate the answers to the scenario described in the question. Students appeared to have some difficulty interpreting questions and often did not gain marks due to a lack of precision in their responses.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »
In the Short answer section, problems again arose in terms of failure to address command terms in questions, or failure to relate the answers to the scenario described in the question. Students appeared to have some difficulty interpreting questions and often did not gain marks due to a lack of precision in their responses.
exactly haha..

JackMichaelson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:42 pm »
2. if you find a question hard, leave it and come back to it later, as you should be able to come up with a better answer later on (i.e. from more motivation)

You should make the best guess instead and put a star next to it instead just incase you accidently fill in a wrong question causing subsequent questions to be wrongly filled in.

Also read all questions and answers carefully lol. im sure everyone's experienced doing a practise exam where you got an answer wrong for not reading all questions or answers fully. lol

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »
God i frekkin hate how ambiguous the questions are, how inconsistent the answers are and how their answers would be impossible to directly fit into the spaces provided in the exam..

imo everyone in psych department of vcaa shud be fired ..

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:42 pm »
God i frekkin hate how ambiguous the questions are, how inconsistent the answers are and how their answers would be impossible to directly fit into the spaces provided in the exam..

imo everyone in psych department of vcaa shud be fired ..
hahaha... would you rather that the creators of lisachem where the VCAA exam writers?

xoxogossipgirl

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:18 pm »
^^^^ god no, ahhh i'll have nightmares

what I do personally (I understand not everyone else would be a fan of this) is I do the memory MC, then the memory SA, learning MC then learning SA
I find by not swapping back and forth I personally make less silly mistakes :)

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »
^^^^ god no, ahhh i'll have nightmares

what I do personally (I understand not everyone else would be a fan of this) is I do the memory MC, then the memory SA, learning MC then learning SA
I find by not swapping back and forth I personally make less silly mistakes :)
I do MC all in reading time in my head, so when writing time starts I knock it all off in under 10 minutes. Then I have 1 hour and 20 minutes for short answer which really comes in handy. If I'm not up to the research methods section by 30 minutes from the end I know I'm running behind so I pick it as fast as I can. This is just the way I do it. And it seems to be beneficial. Good luck for tomorrow VNerssss. I'm expecting some wicked results from everyone :)
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »
Do u rly need 80 minutes to do SA questions?? I always finish tue whole exam in around 40 minutes lol :D

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm an art student at heart, can't you tell?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »
i love that they allocate like 45 minutes for the 45 MC. they take like...<15-20 max <3
2010: Chem, Lit, Bio, Psych and Further.
201_: Postgraduate Medicine...

ohyeah

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »
My Psych teacher advised us to read through the short answer questions first during reading time to jog our memories

coolhat

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:14:32 pm »
do mc first then sa, as mc acts as retrieval cues for the information, and assists in answering SA

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »
Do u rly need 80 minutes to do SA questions?? I always finish tue whole exam in around 40 minutes lol :D
Haha Not really I usually get them done in 1 hour. But it's nice having heaps of time. And during an exam, time is always a good thing. I'm pretty slow too with the writing of my answers I get really indecisive on what I want to write and usually go over the lines for most.. That's why this system works for me haha. Everyone stick with what you normally do! It wouldn't be a good idea to change your habits now unless you're really really in need.
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni