Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:50:32 am

Author Topic: **URGENT** Two summer subjects?  (Read 3159 times)  Share 

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
**URGENT** Two summer subjects?
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
Hey guys, I recently got offered the chance to apply to the "Seminar in Economics and Commerce A" subject. https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/current/ECON10002

It looks interesting and I'd probably enjoy it, but the issue is that my timetable is completely full.

I wish to major in finance/economics while taking an engineering stream path. I'm already taking a summer subject (linear algebra), and to fit in this seminar subject I'd have to do Business finance in the summer as well.

Would the uni let me do such a thing?  Additionally, how feasible is it to do two intensive subjects in such a short time frame (and still getting decent marks)?

I need answers quickly because I've only got till 9 tomorrow to apply.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:43:45 pm by dankfrank420 »

stolenclay

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • AN, pls.
  • Respect: +78
Re: **URGENT** Two summer subjects?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »
Not really sure why you've been downvoted, but anyway...

25 points is the maximum standard load in Summer Semester, so you are fine. It should just be a matter of enrolling into Business Finance and Linear Algebra on your own into 2017 Summer Semester on your study plan (once re-enrolment opens for 2017), and you shouldn't have to submit enrolment variation requests. However, from what I read of the General Chat thread, be prepared to do so just in case. Also, you'll need to hope that your classes don't clash when the university timetable comes out (some time in the middle of Semester 2).

I think it's achievable. From what I know, Linear Algebra is condensed into 6 weeks of teaching, while Business Finance is condensed into 4 weeks with a week's break after 2 weeks. If you do both, you should effectively have (just above) a normal semester's weekly workload throughout the whole Summer Semester. The learning style is slightly different for intensive subjects; you'd want to be comfortable with learning concepts quickly.

If Business Finance is still taught by Rob Brown in Summer Semester, it'll be absolutely fabulous. Not familiar with who takes Linear Algebra in Summer Semester.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:24:28 pm by stolenclay »
Thoughts on my journey through university
2014–2016 BCom (Actl), DipMathSc @ UoM
2017–2018 Master of Science (Mathematics and Statistics) @ UoM

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:34:01 pm »
Not really sure why you've been downvoted, but anyway...

25 points is the maximum standard load in Summer Semester, so you are fine. It should just be a matter of enrolling into Business Finance and Linear Algebra on your own into 2017 Summer Semester on your study plan (once re-enrolment opens for 2017), and you shouldn't have to submit enrolment variation requests. However, from what I read of the General Chat thread, be prepared to do so just in case. Also, you'll need to hope that your classes don't clash when the university timetable comes out (some time in the middle of Semester 2).

I think it's achievable. From what I know, Linear Algebra is condensed into 6 weeks of teaching, while Business Finance is condensed into 4 weeks with a week's break after 2 weeks. If you do both, you should effectively have (just above) a normal semester's weekly workload throughout the whole Summer Semester. The learning style is slightly different for intensive subjects; you'd want to be comfortable with learning concepts quickly.

If Business Finance is still taught by Rob Brown in Summer Semester, it'll be absolutely fabulous. Not familiar with who takes Linear Algebra in Summer Semester.

To be honest I'm sort of debating whether this seminar subject is worth it. It seems pretty cool and interesting (from what people have told me), but I don't know if all the extra pressure in summer will be worth it.

Anyways thanks for the reply :)

wobblywobbly

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 04:31:42 pm »
To be honest I'm sort of debating whether this seminar subject is worth it. It seems pretty cool and interesting (from what people have told me), but I don't know if all the extra pressure in summer will be worth it.

Anyways thanks for the reply :)

How well did you go with Finance? Could you do it at triple the learning speed? I don't think I could cope with that...
:)

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:57:27 pm »
How well did you go with Finance? Could you do it at triple the learning speed? I don't think I could cope with that...

Decided to just do Busfi in sem2 and give this seminar subject a miss.

Tbh I didn't find finance too hard, it was sub in formulas with a bit of theory. However condensing it into 4 weeks, along with another subject, would be a bit much.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:00:37 pm by dankfrank420 »