Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:18:46 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612916 times)  Share 

Gromekk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #6795 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:56 pm »
I think its C for the multiple choice above, the wording is terrible but it is the most right choice imo.

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #6796 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:45 pm »
I think its C for the multiple choice above, the wording is terrible but it is the most right choice imo.

Really? But humans don't have longer arms proportional to the rest of the body

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6797 on: October 26, 2015, 11:30:28 pm »
What's the answer to this

Personally I think D.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6798 on: October 26, 2015, 11:31:39 pm »
Personally I think D.

Same. C supports the statement as humans have parallel toes which is below the neck

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6799 on: October 26, 2015, 11:33:11 pm »
+1
Same. C supports the statement as humans have parallel toes which is below the neck

Exactly. C does describe a human characteristic. Our feet are elongated at toes straight. This helped to facilitate upright walking. This statement supports the notion that human ancestors were more similar to humans below the neck than above, because it is a characteristic below the neck that is similar.
I don't, however, accept that humans have long arms relative to the body, certainly when compared to other primates.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6800 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:17 pm »
Exactly. C does describe a human characteristic. Our feet are elongated at toes straight. This helped to facilitate upright walking. This statement supports the notion that human ancestors were more similar to humans below the neck than above, because it is a characteristic below the neck that is similar.
I don't, however, accept that humans have long arms relative to the body, certainly when compared to other primates.

Answers must be wrong then

bananabreadbelle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Start stong, finish stronger.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6801 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:33 am »
Hey everyone, I'm struggling a bit with the trends in evolution from Australopithecus to Homo Sapiens, can anyone give me some bullet points on the general trends?
Also, what feature define Hominoids?

Thanks in advance

Not sure if anyone has answered the second query (regarding defining features of hominoids) but in case:

Hominoids = Superfamily (under the order of Primates, suborder of Anthropoidea) that includes ALL APES (LESSER AND GREATER APES) AND HUMANS
So this would include both the lesser apes (eg. gibbons) and great apes (eg. orang utans, chimpanzees, humans, etc.) but not monkeys or prosimians.

(Hominids = Family (under Superfamily of Hominoids) that includes all the GREAT APES only)

Features of hominoids:
- No tail (unlike monkeys)
- Relatively long arms and mobile shoulder joints (APES (not humans) have a longer arm length relative to their leg lengths - link this to apes' knuckle walking(?))
- Semi/fully erect
- Broader shoulders, chest and pelvis
- Larger brain

Hope this helps!  :)

EDIT: Some more addition hominoid features:
- Hominoid molars have five cusps (monkeys have four cusps)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:58:47 pm by bananabreadbelle »
2015: Biology [44]
2016: Literature [38] |  Chemistry [37]  |  History: Revolutions [45] |  Mathematical Methods [36]  |  Indonesian (SL) [50]       |       ATAR: [98.60]

"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"
-Matthew 16:26

adnauseam

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6802 on: October 27, 2015, 12:23:32 pm »
Is being more closely related  the same (in scope of VCE) as sharing a more recent ancestor?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6803 on: October 27, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »
How much do we need to know about stem cells guys please help
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

bananabreadbelle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6804 on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:15 pm »
+2
Few questions about hominin evolution:

1. I understand the two theories now, thankfully... But for the Out-of-Africa theory, it says that modern humans evolved INSIDE Africa, and then dispersed around the world in waves. So, that means that transitional fossils of modern humans must ONLY be found inside africa, right?

But a statement in my book said that Homo erectus migrated from Africa into Europe.. Does this mean that Homo erectus is not an ancestor of modern humans?

When it says transitional fossils, it means that the direct ancestors of humans, right? Like the very hominin species that modern humans evolved from were only in Africa?

Hello! (Ok first up, forgive gaps in my knowledge of this, I'm still trying to make the links between information as well!  :D)

Firstly, to define transitional fossil: "any fossilized remains of a life form that exhibits traits common to both an ancestral group and its derived descendant group."
The key word is transitional, which indicates an 'in-between' of two relative species: it's the fossils of an intermediary form.
For example, lets say that it has been deduced that birds evolved from reptiles - and this could probably have been supported by the findings of transitional fossils, that display both reptile-like characteristics (the traits of the ancestral form/species) and bird-like characteristics (the derived/'new' traits).

With that defined, as you already know the 'Out-of-Africa' theory (Replacement theory) and Multi-regional theory, BOTH theories agree that "Homo erectus originated in Africa and expanded to Eurasia about one million years ago", but the difference is in explaining the origin of HOMO SAPIENS (modern humans).
Because the Out-of-Africa theory states that Homo erectus (initial homo species) left Africa 3 times and occupied various geographic locations that developed into isolated populations of different, unique species (such as maybe H. neanderthalensis).
But only the Homo erectus population that remained in Africa evolved eventually into Homo sapiens (as in all Homo sapiens only originated from Africa) and moved out as Homo sapiens to replace all the other populations that eventually became extinct.

Hence, just because Homo erectus migrated to Europe, does not mean it cannot be an ancestor of Homo sapiens according to this theory, because remember that not ALL the Homo erectus from Africa migrated to Europe - the Replacement theory states that some Homo erectus populations did migrate to Europe and may have evolved independently into unique species, but the essential point is that they are all extinct now because those populations have been replaced by the Homo sapiens (the species of the modern human population today) that evolved from the Homo erectus (/initial Homo species) that remained in Africa.

Although ideally for this theory to be supported, transitional fossils (fossils of intermediary forms between initial Homo and Homo sapiens) should only be found in Africa - but this is not true (there have been transitional fossils found other places in the world) - but it is explained away by the multiple aforementioned waves of migrations out of Africa.

Whether or not Homo erectus is the "direct" ancestor of Homo sapiens, I'm not sure - from my limited understanding of what's theorized, it's roughly that Homo ergaster/erectus gave rise to Homo heidelbergensis (Homo erectus still co-existed) which gave rise to Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens (modern humans) - H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis co-existed until Homo sapiens out competed the H. neanderthalensis populations.

Hope this helps!
Feel free to clarify anything, I know some parts could be explained more in depth.

EDIT: HOW IS EVERYONE FEELING ABOUT THE EXAM?

I also feel like it should be kept in the back of one's mind (as my teacher often reminded us) that a large portion of this section of the course (hominin evolution) are mostly just theories, and nothing is really solid 100% certain (unlike Unit 3 which is more facts/experiment-based) - so you just need to know how to JUSTIFY (cue Business Management spaz). These things are constantly changing as more things/fossils mostly are being discovered, because as humans we don't really even know what we don't know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:33:48 pm by bananabreadbelle »
2016: Literature [38] |  Chemistry [37]  |  History: Revolutions [45] |  Mathematical Methods [36]  |  Indonesian (SL) [50]       |       ATAR: [98.60]

Bruzzix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
  • School: FCCC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #6805 on: October 27, 2015, 03:22:00 pm »
How much do we need to know about stem cells guys please help
The only thing in the study design that mentions stem cells is this

Quote from: VCAA
application of gene technologies including gene cloning, bacterial transformations, stem cell
differentiation, genetic screening, gene therapy and DNA profiling
Also know what the terms totipotency, pluripotency and multipotency mean.
2014: Psychology [31~28.95]
2015:
Chemistry [37~41.23] | Biology [42~42.86] | Physics [33~35.50] | Methods [29~33.14] | English [36~34.50]
ATAR: 90.35
2016: Monash BSc
Finished VCE at 16
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

bananabreadbelle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6806 on: October 27, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
Is being more closely related  the same (in scope of VCE) as sharing a more recent ancestor?

Yes, I think so!  ;D

“Phylogenetic relationship” refers to the relative times in the past that species shared common ancestors. Two species (B & C) are more closely related to one another than either one is to a third species (A) if, and only if, they share a more recent common ancestor with one another (at Time 2) than they do with the third species (at Time 1).
[refer to attached supplementary diagram]

(from http://peabody.yale.edu/exhibits/tree-of-life/what-phylogenetic-relationship)

:)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6807 on: October 27, 2015, 04:37:27 pm »
Someone explain to me the process of embryonic nuclear transfer? I have no idea what/who/why/how it is used. Any help? Cheers
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6808 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »
Someone explain to me the process of embryonic nuclear transfer? I have no idea what/who/why/how it is used. Any help? Cheers

Do we need to know this??

bananabreadbelle

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6809 on: October 27, 2015, 05:09:42 pm »
+1

Isn't it cloning using the nucleus from an embryonic cell (stem cell)?
So you have a nucleus donor - you remove the nucleus out of an embryonic cell of a particular animal (Animal A) and you take an enucleated (no nucleus) egg cell from another animal (Animal B) and put Animal A's nucleus into Animal B's egg cell.
The resulting individual will have the exact genetic makeup as the nucleus donor (in this case, Animal A).

:)