Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:21:48 pm

Author Topic: ERAs  (Read 2724 times)  Share 

psychlaw

ERAs
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:40:31 pm »
Hey everyone... I posted this on BoS but didn't get any real luck there so though id try here

Im really stressing out on ERAs, im in year 11 and my stupid teacher told us there was an ERA SAC on THE FIRST DAY BACK to school and I didn't even know what the heck that was ... I didn't do Psych units 1/2.... I tried to talk to him on the last day of school but wasn't able to so now ive got about a week to do a SAC as an ERA (and I barely know anything about it)

Can someone please explain to me what an ERA is or pm me your msn so we can talk.... im pretty desperate...... ive only got the basic idea of what an ERA was through a sticky on BoS
I still dont know how to write one and whatever
Someone help please..... the SAC ERA is going to be on either the B/13 or the Rat Man

PLEASE SAVE ME SOMEONE
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:52:22 pm by psychlaw »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: ERAs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
Hi Psychlaw. Welcome to our forum. We do pride ourselves on being oodles better than BoS. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our collection of notes. If you browse the Psychology 3+4 section of the notes site, you'll find a sample ERA from a girl who scored a perfect 50 last year. That should give you some idea. That person is also a global moderator on the forum and will be along to answer your question when she gets around to it. Good luck!

psychlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:55:48 pm »
Hi Psychlaw. Welcome to our forum. We do pride ourselves on being oodles better than BoS. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our collection of notes. If you browse the Psychology 3+4 section of the notes site, you'll find a sample ERA from a girl who scored a perfect 50 last year. That should give you some idea. That person is also a global moderator on the forum and will be along to answer your question when she gets around to it. Good luck!

Yea I've had a read of that (thanks for it)
And no offence at all to Eriny, but that ERA was what stressed me out the most, because it was like 6 pages long, and I didn't understand half of it
It was well written but I don't think I can produce anything like that.... I don't know the order of an ERA or how to write one

thats why I'm asking for help :O
thanks for the suggestion though

Odette

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:00:50 pm »
Heya psychlaw i don't know whether or not you'll find this useful.. but i do have some era files on how to write an era... would you want something like that? or a sample era?

psychlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:03:14 pm »
Heya psychlaw i don't know whether or not you'll find this useful.. but i do have some era files on how to write an era... would you want something like that? or a sample era?
oh wow
Both of them would be useful to me :o

Odette

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:07:59 pm »
Lol i dont have a sample one unfortunately... however i do have files on how to write one... i cant upload them on here though... wrong file type or something.. do you have an email address i could send them to?

psychlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:08:38 pm »
Lol i dont have a sample one unfortunately... however i do have files on how to write one... i cant upload them on here though... wrong file type or something.. do you have an email address i could send them to?
yes i'll pm you, thanks

memka

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:13:18 pm »
Ok this is my attempted explaination, hope it helps.

Basically an ERA is a scientific report.
You need to include:
Title

Abstract(possibly-my teacher made us just for practice) - Paragraph summarising the whole experiment, including aim,results etc.

Aim - the purpose of the experiment

Introduction(including hypothesis) - Includes relevant background knowledge/theories, previous research, hypothesis

Method - How the experiment was carried out, including details on the participants, materials and procedure

Results - Summary of results(ie. averages) normally as graphs/tables as well as some sentences describing the trends in writing underneath. Specific results can be included in an appendix.

Discussion - Discuss if hypothesis was supported or not, attempt to explain the results, the relevance of the results to the population that the sample was taken from and to previous research, possible extraneous variables and how they could possibly be controlled.

References - list referances for any sources(eg. of theories)

Appendix - If needed included any raw data not already in the report. 

If your using the Grivas & Downs Textbook p54 should be of help.
2007: Psychology
2008: English, Methods, Biology, French, Music Solo        ENTER: 92.65
2009: Bachelor of Arts @ ANU

Odette

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:21:44 pm »
Ok you should get the email soon psychlaw ^^

psychlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »
Ok you should get the email soon psychlaw ^^

THanks for all the help guys (those files were great!)

Im getting the drift of what it takes to write an ERA but does anyone have a simple sample ERA
The one in the notes is a bit long/confusing for me
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:42:12 pm by Odette »

Odette

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
Oh glad they helped ^_^ I know what it's like i didnt do psych units 1+2 so writing an ERA was a little hard :)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:59:25 pm »
Sorry if it's confusing. That was a sample of a ERA I did at the end of year 12 (after we had gone through research methods and so on), but if you read it again later on (maybe after doing memory) it should make more sense to you. I had written a few ERAs before I wrote that, I doubt that your teachers are expecting work that is that long, but the structure, the language and the kind of information I've written is fairly standard. That ERA though, will be of more help to those doing their final SAC as opposed to one of the first.

I've attached a few ERAs I did in year 11 to this post. They are very short and simple (though less polished and the referencing either sucks or is non-existent and there aren't abstracts on either).

I take it that I shouldn't post the research report I have to do for uni :P (it could be relevant though, it's on hemispheric lateralisation).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:03:28 pm by Eriny »