Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:18 am

Author Topic: Stressed and Complacent - The Journal of a Confused Student  (Read 4574 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Stressed and Complacent - The Journal of a Confused Student
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 11:12:58 am »
+1
Thanks so much Angelina for the advice! ;D I think the problem is that Im a bit lost on how to self study, so I have not tangible goals apart from homework. 
Did you self study, if so how? Did you just read a textbook and take notes, or do exercises? 

Thanks everyone for the help  :D

Hey, darthone!

I was (and still am) a self-study person because I just love and enjoy learning! What I found working well for me was those extension activities I set for myself to do that related to my content. It was all different across my subjects though; for English, it would be to attempt a practice essay (or sometimes just writing a single thesis!) but for Modern, it was to review what we covered that particular lesson in a Cambridge textbook I borrowed from my school library to add to my own notes. I also made myself watch Youtube videos, listen to podcasts and visit relevant places (so I went to an art exhibition to get inspiration for my BOW and to practise analysing installation art real time) to engage on a more holistic level with the content I was studying. Learning doesn't have to be purely written and spoken; it can, and should, engage all the senses and thrill you!

What you could try is assigning an optional, or mandatory if you want to challenge and really discipline yourself, to do for every bit of homework you have. For example, if you're being asked to write a paragraph for homework, after you've completed it, you could set yourself the task to critique it and then rewrite an improved version to submit it. This way, you're drawing from the work you've been given and will be able to expand your understanding further. See if this helps in any way!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music