Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:55 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469720 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1605 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:51 pm »
hey guys , about classical conditioning is this an accurate definition of what it is.

Classical Conditioning: A simple form of learning which occurs through repeated association of two different stimuli to produce a naturally occurring response.

i however feels that the last part (producing a naturally occurring response is wrong) cause a natural occurring response would be caused by a unconditioned/ neutral stimulus as the response is innate, but a conditioned stimulus will produce a conditioned response. so can someone please help me out with this please. Also since i said this does this mean if two different stimuli is being repeated, it does not produce a naturally occurring response right cause that only happens in a unconditioned/neutral stimulus.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1606 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:03 pm »
+6
hey guys , about classical conditioning is this an accurate definition of what it is.

Classical Conditioning: A simple form of learning which occurs through repeated association of two different stimuli to produce a naturally occurring response.

i however feels that the last part (producing a naturally occurring response is wrong) cause a natural occurring response would be caused by a unconditioned/ neutral stimulus as the response is innate, but a conditioned stimulus will produce a conditioned response. so can someone please help me out with this please. Also since i said this does this mean if two different stimuli is being repeated, it does not produce a naturally occurring response right cause that only happens in a unconditioned/neutral stimulus.

You don't need a definition of classical conditioning, fyi. Questions will ask you to apply your knowledge.

You are right that classical conditioning does not produce a 'naturally' occurring response. The unconditioned stimulus produces the 'naturally' occurring response, or response that has already been learnt. I think the word you're looking for here is involuntary/unconscious. I would define classical conditioning as a type of associative learning in which the unconditioned stimulus (which produces the unconditioned response) is repeatedly paired with the neutral stimulus to later become the conditioned stimulus, which produces an unconscious, involuntary response known as the conditioned response. You wouldn't really be required to write this down as an answer to a question, though.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1607 on: March 27, 2020, 08:45:33 pm »
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on nervous system functioning so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well
- what areas i need to improve in
- sentence structure (if i am writing in the correct format and using the write terms in my response)
- and also since this is out of 10 can you tell me how much would i get out of 10 please thank you.

And also feel free to add anything else that i may have missed

Scenario: Max has just turned 5 and for his birthday his parents gave him a spiderman bike. As soon as he unwraps it he pleads with his father to take him for a ride. It is very windy outside, but eventually his father agrees. While Max is riding, a big gust of wind blows up and Max shuts his eyes to try to prevent the dust getting in them. Unfortunately, this causes him to swerve out onto the road. His father sees this all happening and runs to grab Max off the road and out of harm’s way.

Outline at least 4 different nervous systems that are active in this scenario. Ensure you acknowledge the interactive nature of these nervous systems. (10 Marks)

My Response

In this scenario, different nervous systems were activated to cause different responses. In this example, while Max is riding his bike, his somatic nervous system has been activated. This leads to him being able to move his skeletal muscles to ride his bike and he does this voluntarily. While Max was riding his bike, a gust of wind being blown causes Max to shut his eyes so that dust does not go into them. This activated the autonomic nervous system as Max was not in control of this response. When Max swerves out of the road and his father sees that happening his body goes into the fight- flight-freeze mode which happens when the sympathetic nervous system is activated. The information he processes of the situation goes to the Central    Nervous System (CNS) and then forms a decision. Then he chooses to fight the situation which leads to information being sent to the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) which led the father to grab Max off the road. These nervous systems are all interactive with each other as one system triggers another system based on the situation you are being faced with. The Central Nervous System (CNS) and Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) would always be connected to any response as their roles is to convey information to the brain and back to the body (PNS). In every situation different nervous systems can activate but it depends on what response/ feeling you associate with that situation thus leaving different nervous systems to operate and some of them might not activate because they are not needed in that situation.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1608 on: March 27, 2020, 08:48:11 pm »
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on the GAS Model so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well
- sentence structure (if i am writing in the correct format and using the write terms in my response)
- and also since this is out of 10 can you tell me how much would i get out of 10 please thank you.

What are the three stages (including sub-stages) of the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS)? Explain what happens in each stage when an individual confronts a stressful situation. Justify within your answer why this is a biological explanation of the stress response. (10 Marks)

My Response

The General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS) consists of 3 stages. The first stage is the alarm-reaction stage. In this stage there are 2 substages (shock and countershock). When an individual enters the shock stage of the GAS model, they feel overwhelmed and they do not have that much resistance or strength within us to help deal with the stressor thus our body temperature and blood pressure levels drop.Once we have processed the situation our body goes into fight-flight-freeze mode which basically makes our body more mobilised and able to fight with the stressor. Having said that this leads to the sympathetic nervous system being activated as you're in a higher state of arousal and this state allows your fight-flight and freeze response to be activated. If the stressor still continues that individual will move onto the second stage of the GAS model which is the resistance stage. In this stage the body is fighting with the stressor and the stress hormone cortisol is increased to energise the body to help deal with the stressor. However this leaves the individual’s immune system to be left unguarded as the body is too busy fighting the stressor so the person can catch a mild flu and cough during this stage. The third and final stage is the exhaustion stage. In this stage the individual’s body has been depleted and the body has run out of resources to help deal with the stressor. The individual is not able to cope with the stressor at that point since their body has been constantly fighting the stressor for a long period of time making the body system have been left unguarded for a prolonged period of time. This is a biological explanation of stress response as everyone goes through this process and it is a similar response is occured in each individual when they are dealing with a stressor.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1609 on: March 27, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on stress so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well

Scenario: Tasha is a doctor in a busy general practice. Tasha returned to work after 6 months maternity leave to a very busy flu season that required working 12 hour days to cope with the extra patient load. As well as being very busy at work, Tasha missed her baby son. After 6 weeks of this workload she developed a severe tension headache by the end of almost every working day. After a few days, Tasha’s headaches went away although she was still working long hours in the busy surgery.When she caught the flu herself, Tasha had to take a week off work. After recovering and being back at work for a few days, Tasha was unable to get up to go to work one morning. When she consulted her own doctor, she was diagnosed as being extremely stressed and physically drained. The doctor recommended that she saw a psychologist to help her assess her situation. The psychologist helped Tasha to evaluate her priorities and Tasha realised that she would prefer to only work 2 days a week, to spend more time with her son.

With reference to Tasha’s situation, provide a detailed analysis of her sources of stress, biological responses and psychological responses. In your response, discuss the theories and models of stress and/or coping that are relevant to this scenario.

My Response:

Tasha experiences stress in her daily pressures in her life on a daily basis after she has returned back to work after her maternity leave. The birth of her baby son was a life event for Tasha and eustress experience. Although after she came back to work, she has to deal with the extra patient load resulting into Tasha falling into distress mode. Tasha reacted negatively to the stressor which led to her developing a severe tension headache by the end of each working day. This was an ongoing daily pressure, as she is going through the stress of 12 hours of work a day. Tasha’s biological response to stress was that she was constantly getting headaches and then after she catched the flu.

GAS Model

Tasha’s experience relates to the GAS Model as Tasha experienced the alarm reaction stage (the shock stage) when she came back to work from her maternity leave as when she came back she found herself having to work 12 hours a day because of the extra patients that are coming due to the flu season. Tasha then experiences countershock as she prepares herself to fight with the stressor which leads to her continuing her work for 6 weeks. Tasha then experiences the second stage of the GAS model, which is the resistance stage. Tasha developed headaches nearly every working day but she fought it and then it went away but Tasha still worked her busy schedule, Tasha also catching the flu herself led her to take a break but then recovered from it and went back to work. Tasha goes on to the exhaustion stage when she is unable to go to work (suddenly), which then after an appointment with her doctor, finds out she is extremely stressed and physically drained.

Coping with Stress Strategies

Tasha used an approach strategy to help deal with the stressor. She used a problem-focused strategy to help deal with the stressor. This includes her seeing a doctor and knowing that she has a problem that she needs to deal with, she finds solutions and strategies that are logical that can aid her to help deal with the stressor thus seeing a psychologist to help find a solution for the problem.

Lazarus and Folkman Transactional Model of Stress and Coping

Tasha identified the stressor that she is facing which is dealing with long hours of work everyday as a primary appraisal in reference to the Lazarus and Folkman Model and identified it as a challenge to deal with the workload but she kept going with her work. After her illness she reappraised the situation and felt the stressor was actually harming her. Then she thought of what resources she has available to her to help solve the stressor and she found that a doctor appointment and a visit to the psychologist helped her deal with the stressor.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1610 on: March 30, 2020, 03:09:34 pm »
hey just wanted to ask that in classical conditioning is their such thing as a conditioned emotional response like how they used in the little albert experiment

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1611 on: March 31, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
+1
hey just wanted to ask that in classical conditioning is their such thing as a conditioned emotional response like how they used in the little albert experiment

Yes :)

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1612 on: April 14, 2020, 05:56:24 pm »
hey guys. For observational learning the 5 stages, for motivation and reinforcement a lot of sources say to join them up together and some say to separate them  cause apparently most scenarios join them together, so what is the correct answer for this. should this be a separate process each or a together process.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1613 on: April 14, 2020, 06:10:30 pm »
+5
hey guys. For observational learning the 5 stages, for motivation and reinforcement a lot of sources say to join them up together and some say to separate them  cause apparently most scenarios join them together, so what is the correct answer for this. should this be a separate process each or a together process.

Separate them for VCAA purposes. Usually, they occur together in real life, but you need to talk about them separately to get the marks in the exam. As long as you explicitly address and explain both of them in your answer, you should be fine.
psych [50] bio [50]

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1614 on: April 14, 2020, 07:31:38 pm »
hey guys i realised on the edrolo videos that for observational learning they also use social learning as another word for it. Do we have to be familiar with both words? Or do they only use observational learning in exam questions

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1615 on: April 14, 2020, 07:41:02 pm »
+1
hey guys i realised on the edrolo videos that for observational learning they also use social learning as another word for it. Do we have to be familiar with both words? Or do they only use observational learning in exam questions

It doesn't hurt to know social learning = observational learning, and VCAA exams have used it in place of observational learning in previous exams. Take the 2016 exam, for example - they use the phrase "social learning theory" instead of overtly stating "observational learning" in their question stem, so students who could not make the connection would not have been able to answer it accurately.
psych [50] bio [50]

cherryblossoms

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1616 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:19 pm »
Hi, for the question:

"Bob's hands feel cold through his ski gloves.
Which specific division of the Nervous System would be involved in this scenario?"

Would it be the somatic, or autonomic nervous system? My initial thought was autonomic as I thought it had to do with involuntary body functions but would it be the somatic as it relates to sensory function? And how would I "Explain the role that this division of the Nervous System would play." - would that just be the general definition or does it need to be specific to the question?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:15:50 pm by cherryblossoms »

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #1617 on: April 15, 2020, 09:15:18 pm »
+4
Hey.
I would say this involves the somatic nervous system. I don't think it would be autonomic as autonomic are automatic processes such as the heart beating. This would be somatic as it involves the sensory receptors in Bob's hands detecting and receiving the information of the cold temperature, transmitting the message to the sensory neurons which transmit the message to the brain.
For explaining the role that the somatic nervous system plays, you would talk about how it allows you to detect incoming sensory information and then transmit it to the brain for processing (and if relevant to the question, you could talk about how this plays a role in specific motor actions being carried out such as leading Bob to rub his hands to make them warmer as an example).

Hope this helps.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1618 on: April 15, 2020, 09:24:40 pm »
+3
Hi, for the question:

"Bob's hands feel cold through his ski gloves.
Which specific division of the Nervous System would be involved in this scenario?"

Would it be the somatic, or autonomic nervous system? My initial thought was autonomic as I thought it had to do with involuntary body functions but would it be the somatic as it relates to sensory function? And how would I "Explain the role that this division of the Nervous System would play." - would that just be the general definition or does it need to be specific to the question?

Adding to what Evolio has already said, the only time this would be the autonomic nervous system would be if the question stem clearly indicates that an involuntary action is occurring (e.g. Bob feels his pupils dilate) instead of simply a sensation like he is cold. This is also what differentiates the nervous system you would choose between a scenario that states that X's heart begins to beat faster, and X feels the warmth of the mug, where the former refers to the autonomic (namely the sympathetic) nervous system and the latter refers to the somatic nervous system.
psych [50] bio [50]

cherryblossoms

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1619 on: April 15, 2020, 10:57:15 pm »
Thanks for clarifying!

For this question: "Bob's heart is beating fast as he skis down a steep and dangerous ski run. Indicate the direction of the message along the neurons within this division of the nervous system."

I think it's the Sympathetic Nervous System here, but I'm not sure how to write the direction of the message. Is it something like "The brain perceives activity as stressful ->  sensory receptors sends a message to the sensory neurons"