Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:54:20 am

Author Topic: Should I drop out of my 5th subject  (Read 1794 times)  Share 

PimpMyRide01

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop out of my 5th subject
« on: July 17, 2019, 10:00:58 pm »
Hey, so I have been thinking recently of dropping out of my 5th subject of which is 'Sociology'. I hate the class. I usually just stare out of the window all lesson because the subject just doesn't interest me. The only reason I chose the class was that it was the only one I could go into after leaving Law at the end of Year 11. I'm also doing quite poorly in Sociology too (average of around 32%).
The class is actually making my other subjects suffer as I have to spend more time trying to just pass a Sociology SAC (or Resit), rather than on other upcoming SACs that I could improve on. I will have enough units to spare if I do drop the class. I do not believe 1 or 2 ATAR points is worth the effort in trying to keep and improve on in the subject as I am going to Tafe anyway for a 'Cyber Security' course that I will use to get into Uni. I do enjoy my other subjects (English, Psychology, VISCOM, and Creative Industries) and could really use the extra time to improve my performance in those classes instead.

Anyway, what do you guys think? And if I were to drop the subject, how would I go on doing that?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Should I drop out of my 5th subject
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:11:37 pm »
+3
So you're in Year 12 at the moment? You need to go and speak to the VCE coordinator or your coordinator/student manager ASAP (do it tomorrow). The cut off date for withdrawal is Monday as per VCAA Administrative dates so after that date the central system (VASS) won't allow any withdrawal to take place.

Keeping in mind that:
- If its a Unit 3 and 4 sequence (e.g. if they are combined and treated as one) then you won't be able to withdraw (remove it completely) as the date for that was in May.
- You'll only be dropping the Unit 4 component and (I assume) Unit 3 will still count provided you haven't done 7 subjects at Unit 3 and 4 level.

You have left it quite late unfortunately. The year ends pretty much a few weeks into Term 4. We're already at Term 3.

In any instance, urgently go and seek support tomorrow. The date looms.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:13:45 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

PimpMyRide01

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:19:49 pm »
So you're in Year 12 at the moment? You need to go and speak to the VCE coordinator or your coordinator/student manager ASAP (do it tomorrow). The cut off date for withdrawal is Monday as per VCAA Administrative dates so after that date the central system (VASS) won't allow any withdrawal to take place.

Keeping in mind that:
- If its a Unit 3 and 4 sequence (e.g. if they are combined and treated as one) then you won't be able to withdraw (remove it completely) as the date for that was in May.
- You'll only be dropping the Unit 4 component and (I assume) Unit 3 will still count provided you haven't done 7 subjects at Unit 3 and 4 level.

You have left it quite late unfortunately. The year ends pretty much a few weeks into Term 4. We're already at Term 3.

In any instance, urgently go and seek support tomorrow. The date looms.

I really wish I could have done this earlier. I had no idea this was a thing until today, even though I have been struggling since day 1 of the subject. I have organized to see my Homeroom / LM teacher tomorrow morning. I just really hope I can just remove the class from my subjects.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:37:18 pm »
+2
I really wish I could have done this earlier. I had no idea this was a thing until today, even though I have been struggling since day 1 of the subject. I have organized to see my Homeroom / LM teacher tomorrow morning. I just really hope I can just remove the class from my subjects.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I don't like your chances of removing it altogether as the Unit 3 withdrawal deadline has passed already so whatever you've done for U3 most likely will still be counted. Best to seek clarity from your school though just to be sure. Good luck

PimpMyRide01

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 10:45:25 pm »
Yeah, it's unfortunate. I don't like your chances of removing it altogether as the Unit 3 withdrawal deadline has passed already so whatever you've done for U3 most likely will still be counted. Best to seek clarity from your school though just to be sure. Good luck

Thanks for the help. Pray for me  :-[

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:25:29 am »
+1
Thanks for the help. Pray for me  :-[

Good luck!

PimpMyRide01

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:13:25 am »
+1

Well, unfortunately, they are forcing me to carry through with the class. Telling me to see it through and to do the bare minimum. How do I even do the bare minimum? Just neglect the class altogether, even fail SACs on purpose? I just need some guidance right now.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 06:18:07 pm »
+1
Well, unfortunately, they are forcing me to carry through with the class. Telling me to see it through and to do the bare minimum. How do I even do the bare minimum? Just neglect the class altogether, even fail SACs on purpose? I just need some guidance right now.

Try. It's all you can really do. What will be, will be. I said to you I didn't like your chances because it's very deep in the year already. Usually subject issues are ironed out in the first few weeks of the year (or in the "headstart" program late in the previous year).

Unless you significantly do worse in all your other subjects, it will only contribute 10% of its study score to your aggregate for the ATAR anyway (unless you're only doing 4 subjects then scrap what i've just said).