Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:20:39 pm

Author Topic: Module C  (Read 1607 times)  Share 

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
Module C
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:55:52 am »
Hey people

Simple question here,

I still dont understand module c.
can any1 give me a quick (or extensive idm) wrap on the module.

* what it is?
* what are the aims?
* what is the most likely stance taken in the HSC?
* are their limitations; i.e. have to be in 1st person or watever
* what makes a good creative piece.
* any tips and tricks
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: Module C
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 05:12:19 pm »
+3
Hey LoneWolf!

So basically from my understanding, Mod C aims to teach students essentially what makes a piece of writing good. Throughout all of high school you are asked to study texts and understand why they are good and analyse the effects they have on us the readers. Module C tests this understanding by asking you to take the knowledge you have learnt and apply it to your own writing. You are tested on your ability to incorporate techniques, form and language to compose an authentic and engaging piece of writing. Then you are asked to prove if. This new syllabus asks us to reflect on our own writing and tell the marker why we have made the creative choices we have. This is actually kinda a benefit to us students because it gives us a change to elaborate on the meaning of our piece and certain metaphors that the marker may not have understood previously.

The more annoying thing however is that questions have become very specific. They may ask you to take a certain stance, use a specific setting, or have a certain voice. When I sat the HSC in 2019 we were asked to end our piece with the provided imagine, which was a heavily gratified ally. Luckily enough the dystopian piece I had been working on the whole year ended with the protagonist getting shot in a ally. I was very very lucky.

In saying that you might not be. The new syllabus aims to make you compose a creative whilst in the exam according to the stimulus, and because of how specific they make questions, it is difficult (but not impossible) to morph a prepared piece.

As I mentioned before a good creative needs to be engaging. Just take a look at any of your year 12 prescribed texts, or even some of your own favourite novels and consider why they are good and why you enjoyed them. Was it the narrator's voice, the setting, the clever language. Use these concepts in your own writing and that will make it a good piece.

Also just practice, I had written and rewritten soooo many pieces and gave them to my teacher and tutor or even just my friends, getting an opinion wherever you can helps.

Hope this helped a bit!  :)
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:35:15 pm »
+3
Hey people

Simple question here,

I still dont understand module c.
can any1 give me a quick (or extensive idm) wrap on the module.

* what it is?
* what are the aims?
* what is the most likely stance taken in the HSC?
* are their limitations; i.e. have to be in 1st person or watever
* what makes a good creative piece.
* any tips and tricks

Hey, LoneWolf!

I'm basically in agreement with all the fantastic points made by Grace0702 above about the module. To elaborate on what makes a good creative writing piece, these are the main principles I put forward in my lectures and Module C lessons when I'm tutoring.

A good creative writing piece:
- Recognises and works with the economy of words. This means that each sentence (and even word) should have significance and have meaning that can be extracted from it. You'll have 20-40 minutes depending on the mark allocation to write your creative in Module C so choose your words carefully!

- Balances aspects of fictional writing well (characterisation, setting, imagery, plot etc.). Too much imagery doesn't lend you to narrative and plot progression but too much action brushes over the finer details of the character's experience you're aiming to capture. Once you've written your practice drafts, tally up how many examples you have for each of these aspects and figure out what you should invest more and/or dial back on.

- Has believable and well-paced narrative frameworks. As mentioned by all the users in the previous thread you created, your story should be realistic and be written as if you know the experience of the character like the back of your hand. Draw from your own emotions and reactions to generate authentic responses and to effectively pace your story.

- Has judicious use of dialogue. Be selective about how, when and where you use dialogue in your piece to have the most impact. I generally restricted myself to only two lines of dialogue in an entire creative so I really focused on developing my characters' thoughts and letting the spoken words really stand out when I did have dialogue.

- Has research behind it. If you do choose to write from a vastly different experience to your own, make sure you dive deep into the world you wish to construct, the topic you are exploring etc. I set both of my creatives for Advanced and Ext 1 in different time periods from my own and looked at photographs, listened to music and immersed myself in the literature, advertisements and overall vibe of the places my fictional characters would have lived in.

- Intention and purpose is subtly expressed, developed but clear. You should always write with purpose, even if the composers of the texts you study might not have. Have a definite message you want your marker to leave with after reading your creative and aim to construct your story around it.

As Grace0702 said, practising is key with Module C because you only get better at writing by doing it. I had about 20 different drafts for my creative with an extra character, different plot endings, in different persons etc. to prepare for all kinds of possibilities. This will help you get to know your character and story even better and to apply it to a variety of stimuli that may arise. If you have any further questions about the module, let us know! If you're coming to the Standard lecture as well on Wednesday at UTS, I'll also be covering this in more depth  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:36 pm »
Thanks alot.
Awesome responses. I now feel more comfortable with this.

Unfortunatly my day is booked out with other lectures. : ( very disappointed that I cant make it.
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 09:47:41 pm »
+1
Thanks alot.
Awesome responses. I now feel more comfortable with this.

Unfortunatly my day is booked out with other lectures. : ( very disappointed that I cant make it.

No worries at all! You'll get access to the slides regardless and you can check it out then  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music