Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:40 pm

Author Topic: re-reading text  (Read 1349 times)  Share 

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: hello
  • School Grad Year: 2017
re-reading text
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:59:25 pm »
Hi, so now that we've made it to Term 3, I have decided to re-read my text response novel. However, i'm unsure as to how to approach it. should i be taking notes whilst reading it or should I read for the sake of understanding the book. Please help, thank you x

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: re-reading text
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:48 pm »
+7
I mean, you can always re-read for the sake of understanding it, then flick back over and make notes, or just do it at the same time :)

When I formally re-read my text last year (I re-read lots of small snippets, but only did the whole thing once or twice), I sat there with highlighters and a pen and built on my annotations in the novel, I highlighted key quotes, motifs, messages, etc. and really focused on what the novel was telling me. So I guess, it was a combination of understanding the novel, and making notes. :) You'll find when you re-read it that you'll understand it better anyway, without even trying!

Also definitely don't feel like you can only re-read it once or something like that. Maybe you won't re-read the thing front-to-back more than once or twice, but keep on re-reading important sections and the like to make sure you really understand the key messages and what the text is actually telling you.

Hope this has helped :) All the best!

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:42:07 am »
+1
For me, it would depend on how I feel about my notes and my understanding of the novel itself.

If I feel that my notes are solid and just want to refresh myself on the text, then I'll just plain old re-read it.

If my notes aren't up to scratch, then I'll read and take notes as well.

Despite that being said, like @K888 stated already I wouldn't [/b[ re-read the whole text just key sections.
If taking notes helps with your understanding, then do that.

Everyone has a different way to helping them understand a text with reading, some people like taking notes, others don't.

Hope this was useful to you.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

princessofpersia

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
+7
Adding onto everyone's suggestions, my friend just told me this method and it really helps.

if you're finding it difficult to actually start re- reading, try this method, it works- really.

1. So... basically rather than starting from the start (like Frankenstein ... Walton's letters really make me fall asleep) maybe pick out a chapter/ section from the book you enjoy, or you think is really worth reading again. (you can start from the start too, your call fam)
2. So get a highlight, or a pen and read a chapter full, or read for a complete 30mins, highlighting and underlining.
3. Open a word document, TYPE (not copy and paste from a pdf) the quotes and add your own comments. Remember that you don't have to add comments to every quote, that's just a waste of time, add to the ones that you think is worth commenting on b/cause its deep. The others may fall under the obvious categories and there's really no point adding long comments to those, or you can one word labels for themes and whatnot.
This really helps you learn the quotes and actively think about the text.
4. you can do this at another time, like when you're on a study break but organise your quotes for each chapter according to themes/ characters and it helps you organise it in your mind too.

I really like this method b/c I used to analyse every word of the text, and it just wasn't efficient enough.

Hope it helps

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: hello
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »
thanks so much for the suggestions everyone !! I'll definitely take all your advice into consideration :))