Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:58:46 am

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1303364 times)  Share 

2020hsc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #4440 on: April 24, 2020, 06:06:29 am »
Hey there!

If we construct a perpendicular through the side AC (ie. b = 24cm) and vertex B, we have that the perpendicular is 2.5cm (0.5(24 x 2.5) = 30cm^2) - from the area of a triangle! Now, we have that 2.5/(sin 60) = BC (side a!), which is going to be \(\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{3}\) cm.

Hope this helps :)

Ah! Is that all  :o :D That's great...thanks so much fun_jirachi...!

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #4441 on: April 28, 2020, 07:57:55 pm »
hey!

could someone give me a hand on the attached question please?

solving for 0 < x < 360...

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4442 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:05 pm »
+1
hey!

could someone give me a hand on the attached question please?

solving for 0 < x < 360...

Hi. (Edit: Ignore this, it's incorrect)

Since (from the original equation), the possible values of (x-75) must lie in the 1st and 4th quadrant. 60 degrees is the reference angle in the first quadrant. To find the value from the 4th quadrant, we use 360 - θ. So...

Hence, the two possible values of x between 0 and 360 degrees are 135 and 375. Solve the equation using either value to check if it's correct.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:54:40 am by Einstein_Reborn_97 »
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #4443 on: April 29, 2020, 04:53:01 am »
Hi.

Since (from the original equation), the possible values of (x-75) must lie in the 1st and 4th quadrant. 60 degrees is the reference angle in the first quadrant. To find the value from the 4th quadrant, we use 360 - θ. So...

Hence, the two possible values of x between 0 and 360 degrees are 135 and 375. Solve the equation using either value to check if it's correct.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. :)

hey! thats cool, thanks for doing that for me..

is pretty much what i had come up with myself, however, and yet the answers tell me it should be x = 15 or 135.
any ideas why that would be?

sorry! thanks anyway

Einstein_Reborn_97

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4444 on: April 29, 2020, 09:50:32 am »
+3
hey! thats cool, thanks for doing that for me..

is pretty much what i had come up with myself, however, and yet the answers tell me it should be x = 15 or 135.
any ideas why that would be?

sorry! thanks anyway

That would be because I wasn't thinking properly last night.  :( 
You have to change the domain first...

So the new domain is (-75, 285)

:)
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #4445 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:41 am »
That would be because I wasn't thinking properly last night.  :( 
You have to change the domain first...

So the new domain is (-75, 285)

:)

ah yes! thats the step i must have been missing with a few trig questions i was doing  :-[

thanks so much Einstein_Reborn_97  ;D

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4446 on: May 09, 2020, 07:47:55 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help me with this question (attached) on finding more than one stationary point please?

Thanks in advance! 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Einstein_Reborn_97

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4447 on: May 09, 2020, 10:55:36 pm »
+3
Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help me with this question (attached) on finding more than one stationary point please?

Thanks in advance! 8)

For stationary points:

When x=0, y=5 and
Check that concavity changes by choosing values on the LHS and RHS, e.g. x=±1. When x=-1, the second derivative is equal to -6 (concave downwards). When x=1, the second derivative is equal to 6 (concave upwards).
Since concavity changes, (0,5) is a horizontal point of inflection.

When x=2, y=1 and
>0 (concave upwards)
So (2,1) is a minimum turning point.

Hope that makes sense. If you need more help, feel free to ask!  ;)

My HSC Journey Journal

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4448 on: May 14, 2020, 09:07:26 pm »
Thankyou Einstein_Reborn_97! This makes more sense now :D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4449 on: May 15, 2020, 04:43:44 pm »
Hello,

When finding the area bounded by the y-axis (this is for integration), is the first step always to write the equation as a function of y (i.e. make x the subject)?

Also, is it necessary to always find the point of intersection for each question that requires us to find the area between 2 curves?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #4450 on: May 15, 2020, 05:02:03 pm »
+2
Hello,

When finding the area bounded by the y-axis (this is for integration), is the first step always to write the equation as a function of y (i.e. make x the subject)?

Also, is it necessary to always find the point of intersection for each question that requires us to find the area between 2 curves?
Hi there!
To answer your first question, generally yes. This is typically because when we have a function \(f(x)\), the area underneath \(f(x)\) is the area bounded by the \(x\) axis and not the \(y\) axis. So if we're considering the area that is bounded by the \(y\) axis, we require \(g(y)\) instead which can be found by making \(x\) the subject. The bounds will also change so to really capture this, I suggest you draw a diagram!

To answer your second question, yes! That is because the area bounded by two curves is the entire area that is squeezed by these two curves. These two curves bound by 2 points and they are the points of intersection! Again, draw a diagram and you should be able to see this geometrically! :)

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4451 on: May 15, 2020, 05:11:36 pm »
Thankyou so much, I understand better now!

Would you mind showing how to solve part (b) of this question? I understand how to find the points of intersection but am slightly confused with how to find the area of the region

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4452 on: May 15, 2020, 05:31:56 pm »
+2
Thankyou so much, I understand better now!

Would you mind showing how to solve part (b) of this question? I understand how to find the points of intersection but am slightly confused with how to find the area of the region

Sure, so the first thing to note is that our region of interest is bounded by these three curves \(y = 3x\), \(y = x^2 - 4\) and \(x = 0\). We can see that we actually have two separate areas! One is bounded above by the \(x\) axis, I labelled it as \(A_1\) and the other is bounded below by the \(x\) axis, I labelled it as \(A_2\).

Now, the bounds of \(A_1\) is from 0 to the point of intersection between \(y = 3x\) and \(y = x^2 - 4\) which you can find to be \(x = 4\). So \(A_1\) is just \(\displaystyle \int_0^4 [\text{Top } - \text{Bottom}]\,dx\), with the top curve being \(y = 3x\) and the bottom curve being \(y = x^2 - 4\). That gives us
\begin{align*}
A_1 &= \int_0^4 \left(3x - x^2 + 4\right)\,dx \\
&= \frac{3}{2}x^2 - \frac{1}{3}x^3 + 4x \bigg|_0^4 \\
&= 24 - \frac{64}{3} + 16 \\
&= 40 - \frac{64}{3}.
\end{align*}

On the other hand, \(A_2\) is a little bit harder to find. It's unclear how we could rearrange this region. But notice how this is just \(y = x^2 - 4\) bounded by the \(y\) axis! So we need to write \(x\) in terms of \(y\) which gives us \(x = \sqrt{y + 4}\). Our bounds for \(y\) go from \(y = -4\) to \(y = 0\) (hopefully you can see that on the diagram.

So \(A_2\) is just \(\int_{-4}^0 \sqrt{y + 4}\,dy\) which turns out to be \(\displaystyle \frac{16}{3}\). So the entire area is just
\begin{align*}
A &= A_1 + A_2 \\
&= 40 - \frac{64}{3} + \frac{16}{3} \\
&= 40 - \frac{48}{3} \\
&= 40 - 16 \\
&= 24\text{u}^2.
\end{align*}

If that's incorrect, pls let me know and I will try to correct it :))

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4453 on: May 15, 2020, 05:53:05 pm »
I see! Soo if the shaded area spans above and below the x-axis we always work it out as two separate areas?

I had a look and it states the answer as 18 and 2/3 units2

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4454 on: May 15, 2020, 06:02:30 pm »
+2
I see! Soo if the shaded area spans above and below the x-axis we always work it out as two separate areas?

I had a look and it states the answer as 18 and 2/3 units2
Normally yes! It depends on the graph but generally you'd break it up into separate areas and calculate them independently!

Ah, the question seemed to have only calculated \(A_1\). I think the intended question was an area bounded by two curves above the \(x\) axis.