Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:46 pm

Author Topic: ADVICE: Starting Year 12?  (Read 3296 times)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
ADVICE: Starting Year 12?
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:01:35 pm »
Hello ATARNoter's! ;D

I am about to start year 12 (basically in a day), and was wondering if anyone had any advice they could share about year 12 in general and about:

📚Anything year 12 related

📚How to start really well and ace the upcoming journey

📚How to differentiate yourself from a Band 5 student to a Band 6 student (Like what you need to do in assessments and everyday schooling to reach those Band 6 levels)

📚Strategies previous students have used and have shown to be effective, in order to gain 90+ in most subjects

Any advice is much appreciated! ;D

Thanks in advance! :D

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:04:22 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: ADVICE: Starting Year 12?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 10:26:22 pm »
+6
Hey!

While I haven't completed the HSC, there are some things that I wished I did now that would have made my position right now much more easier.

For english in particular, I wish I just wrote a tonne of essay plans responding to questions. For me, I got to really know my text through this process, and it would have been way more beneficial for me to do this rather than timed essays. Don't get me wrong, timed essays are great but they are so tiresome and stressful, and will also get me in a habit of regurgitating my initial ideas about my text. With essay plans, I would have more complexity in my arguments, which would have put me in a much better position for my trials. Try this and see how it goes! Obviously write timed essays here and there, but at least make sure your arguments have a reasonable level of complexity!

To start really well, you need to figure out your learning style. I think what would have been beneficial for me, especially for sciences, would be to write summaries first as quick as possible and then proceed to questions immediately. In order to do well, you need to get your fundamental concepts straight. For me, writing comprehensive summaries helped as it helped me understand the general concept, as I pretended to write as if I am teaching someone else. Unfortunately, I did not do this and I am really frustrated about it. What I wish I did was write super brief notes throughout the year and mainly focus on exam questions.

I have a lot more, which is in this thread I wrote ages ago ;D. My final comment would be to find a study style that lets you achieve high marks and keep going with that. Honestly, there are a tonne of articles floating around on ATARnotes which would be relevant as well. My final comment is that time management is super important. Don't waste time when you don't feel like you are getting the best use of time. It's a tough year, and I am so glad I am about to finish it, so I wish you the best of luck! Hope that was of help!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:43:41 am »
+2
Hey!

The biggest tip I have for year 12 is know your syllabus. I don't I can convey how important it really is. It is the key to doing well in tasks, it contains all the information you can be tested on so you should know it. IT IS YOUR BIBLE

I have memorised my syllabus for almost all my subjects and it helps heaps. For example; incorporating rubric statements into you thesis in English can elevate a response from a band 5 to a band 6 because it shows the marker you know your stuff. Also for IPT it will help you narrow down what questions are actually asking. The social and ethical issues between topics are quite similar so if you are asked a question on information systems and databases, but you interpret it as a communication systems question, you may get some marks, but you won't be able to get all of them.

Ask questions as well. If you don't get something the worst thing to do is sit in silence. Teachers are there to help (well most of them) and you also have amazing resources like these forums.

It's also important to stay on top of everything as you go. The worst thing to do it fall behind (speaking from experience here), you can always bring yourself back on track, but it is easy if you never lost track in the first place.

Year 12 is a marathon not a sprint, so continual work throughout the year will reward you when you reach the end. Good luck!! ;D
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:23:41 am »
+1
Hey!

While I haven't completed the HSC, there are some things that I wished I did now that would have made my position right now much more easier.

For english in particular, I wish I just wrote a tonne of essay plans responding to questions. For me, I got to really know my text through this process, and it would have been way more beneficial for me to do this rather than timed essays. Don't get me wrong, timed essays are great but they are so tiresome and stressful, and will also get me in a habit of regurgitating my initial ideas about my text. With essay plans, I would have more complexity in my arguments, which would have put me in a much better position for my trials. Try this and see how it goes! Obviously write timed essays here and there, but at least make sure your arguments have a reasonable level of complexity!

To start really well, you need to figure out your learning style. I think what would have been beneficial for me, especially for sciences, would be to write summaries first as quick as possible and then proceed to questions immediately. In order to do well, you need to get your fundamental concepts straight. For me, writing comprehensive summaries helped as it helped me understand the general concept, as I pretended to write as if I am teaching someone else. Unfortunately, I did not do this and I am really frustrated about it. What I wish I did was write super brief notes throughout the year and mainly focus on exam questions.

I have a lot more, which is in this thread I wrote ages ago ;D. My final comment would be to find a study style that lets you achieve high marks and keep going with that. Honestly, there are a tonne of articles floating around on ATARnotes which would be relevant as well. My final comment is that time management is super important. Don't waste time when you don't feel like you are getting the best use of time. It's a tough year, and I am so glad I am about to finish it, so I wish you the best of luck! Hope that was of help!

Hey r1ckworthy! :)

Thankyou so much for the advice, I will put these suggestions into action and it is a great idea to write brief notes for the sciences and focus on exam style questions more, rather than heaps of notes (I will consider doing this too!) ;D

I also have bookmarked your study guide, as I found it very, very helpful, and as well with all of the links! :D

Thanks again,

Coolmate 8)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 11:28:22 am »
Hey!

The biggest tip I have for year 12 is know your syllabus. I don't I can convey how important it really is. It is the key to doing well in tasks, it contains all the information you can be tested on so you should know it. IT IS YOUR BIBLE

I have memorised my syllabus for almost all my subjects and it helps heaps. For example; incorporating rubric statements into you thesis in English can elevate a response from a band 5 to a band 6 because it shows the marker you know your stuff. Also for IPT it will help you narrow down what questions are actually asking. The social and ethical issues between topics are quite similar so if you are asked a question on information systems and databases, but you interpret it as a communication systems question, you may get some marks, but you won't be able to get all of them.

Ask questions as well. If you don't get something the worst thing to do is sit in silence. Teachers are there to help (well most of them) and you also have amazing resources like these forums.

It's also important to stay on top of everything as you go. The worst thing to do it fall behind (speaking from experience here), you can always bring yourself back on track, but it is easy if you never lost track in the first place.

Year 12 is a marathon not a sprint, so continual work throughout the year will reward you when you reach the end. Good luck!! ;D

Hey Grace0702! :)

Thanks for your insight as well! Going through and memorising the syllabus' sounds like a good idea, because as you were saying it differentiates between a band 5 and band 6 student. :D

Just another question...

So if I memorised all of my syllabuses with notes too, and practiced lots of exam HSC style questions, I could ace the final exams?

Thanks again!

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:28:33 pm by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 02:01:48 pm »
+2
Hi! I'm about to start my HSC in a few days now ! My number 1 advice for English is definitely read your rubric pluck out the key words. E.g. common module - anomalies, paradoxes, motivations, storytelling. Use the key words you have underlined and use these as a basis for every essay plan you write. Send your essays to your teacher, even if you think you are being annoying, they are ultimately there to help you achieve your best. Know your text. English is really not as hard as it looks although its the subject I hate most and its the biggest pain in the ass. 

For bio: really revise what you do every saturday morning or if you are really dedicated every afternoon. Bio is very content heavy so it's important you do this! (kinda wish I did it earlier). Have examples for everything. Even if the question doesn't ask for it add it in. Know how to structure your bio answers. One thing I have come to realise is that this really matters. First you define the key thing they are asking. Then you link it to other concept related. (which is why its important you know your syllabus). At the end you add in your example if you can. Remember for bio: you can add diagrams to explain recombinant DNA for example, also if its easier write dotpoints down in your answers. 

Last tip. Stay organised. folders are your best friend. Have mini folders for each module and remember to keep all you exams and past papers together.
Oh and always believe in your self and relax. . its all about perfecting your study skills and do what suits you.
Best of Luck  ;D ;D

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:08 pm »
+2
Just another question...

So if I memorised all of my syllabuses with notes too, and practiced lots of exam HSC style questions, I could ace the final exams?

Thanks again!

Coolmate 8)

Theoretically yes. For content heavy subjects like IPT and SOR memorisation is key, whereas subjects like maths and physics require the application of knowledge, and the best way to do that is through practice HSC style questions.

But there is always a curve ball to be thrown. The physics syllabus will only have been assessed once when you sit your HSC so it is hard to say what exactly the questions will ask. Similar with maths you will be the first cohort to sit the new syllabus so apart from the sample papers released by NESA you won't have much to go off for the newer topics.

Once you know what can be asked (from the syllabus) and how it could be asked (practice questions) it becomes much simpler, so yes, I do think you can ace your final exams!
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 06:07:06 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm about to start my HSC in a few days now ! My number 1 advice for English is definitely read your rubric pluck out the key words. E.g. common module - anomalies, paradoxes, motivations, storytelling. Use the key words you have underlined and use these as a basis for every essay plan you write. Send your essays to your teacher, even if you think you are being annoying, they are ultimately there to help you achieve your best. Know your text. English is really not as hard as it looks although its the subject I hate most and its the biggest pain in the ass. 

For bio: really revise what you do every saturday morning or if you are really dedicated every afternoon. Bio is very content heavy so it's important you do this! (kinda wish I did it earlier). Have examples for everything. Even if the question doesn't ask for it add it in. Know how to structure your bio answers. One thing I have come to realise is that this really matters. First you define the key thing they are asking. Then you link it to other concept related. (which is why its important you know your syllabus). At the end you add in your example if you can. Remember for bio: you can add diagrams to explain recombinant DNA for example, also if its easier write dotpoints down in your answers. 

Last tip. Stay organised. folders are your best friend. Have mini folders for each module and remember to keep all you exams and past papers together.
Oh and always believe in your self and relax. . its all about perfecting your study skills and do what suits you.
Best of Luck  ;D ;D

Hi dani01! :)

This is awesome advice that will help me for those subjects, I like the idea of revising everything that you do in bio on that saturday and the english advice too! ;D

Thanks again! and good luck with your HSC exams coming up :D

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 06:09:02 pm by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:23 pm »
Theoretically yes. For content heavy subjects like IPT and SOR memorisation is key, whereas subjects like maths and physics require the application of knowledge, and the best way to do that is through practice HSC style questions.

But there is always a curve ball to be thrown. The physics syllabus will only have been assessed once when you sit your HSC so it is hard to say what exactly the questions will ask. Similar with maths you will be the first cohort to sit the new syllabus so apart from the sample papers released by NESA you won't have much to go off for the newer topics.

Once you know what can be asked (from the syllabus) and how it could be asked (practice questions) it becomes much simpler, so yes, I do think you can ace your final exams!

Thanks grace0702 for clarifying this for me! ;D

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 04:19:37 pm »
+3
While I haven't completed the HSC

I'll admit I saw this thread literally 10 minutes after it cropped up about a month ago. At the time, this was the main 'reason' for not contributing; I had no real compulsion and I felt a bit unqualified to give advice - and I did feel a little guilty for suspending this tab in my browser for a month. So sorry to everyone, for bumping this thread! Liberation has given me a fresh outlook on things and I have a few things to say (if it's not too late!). It's a bit of similar feeling to when I wrote about accelerating subjects this time last year, if I'm honest; so much to say, and it's just convenient while it's all in my head right now.

There have been two things I've been told that I've sort of lived by during this year, one from my Modern teacher and one from my Maths teacher, who have been by far and away the most important teachers in contributing to my final years. My Modern teacher simply told me to 'back myself' and my Maths teacher told our class 'to make the next exam our best one yet'. To break them down:

a) 'back myself' - that just means trust yourself; you did better than you think you did in exam (never is an exam the last say in your ATAR, and never is an exam worth crying over [feeds into my next point!]), and you know more than you think you know; even when you feel like you haven't studied enough, you'll go into the exam and your brain will know what to do. Overall, just trust what you've done in previous years, even if you've slacked off a tad; you know what works best for you, and no-one should tell you otherwise. Trust yourself to do well, you'll be fine. The HSC isn't actually that bad; while it might seem terrifying now, you'll get to the end and be like pfffft HAHA what?! so chill. Enjoy it, trust yourself! :)

b) 'Make your next exam your best one yet' - never is an exam worth crying over; always look ahead because you can't undo anything you've already done. The best positive impact you can have is literally by making your next exam your best one yet. The logic here is also very sound; while the idea isn't to make your first exam intentionally garbage, and then gradually improve to peak at the HSC, it means if you have a bad exam, you look forward and work to make the next one stellar; if you have a good one, you redouble your efforts and attempt to outdo yourself. Ultimately the only person you're competing with is yourself; push your limits and see how well you can do! In hindsight, while I clearly haven't peaked at the HSC, it's always helpful to aim high and be quietly confident; even if you fall down, you'll still have done the best you can, and that's all anyone can ask of you. Make everything a peak! :)

And now, unfortunately, what I've learnt the hard way :(

a) While I did say push your limits, don't push yourself too hard - rest, recuperation and mental health are so much more important than any study you can ever possibly do; I learnt this one the hard way because I took the same advice I'm giving right now way too lightly (so please don't!). If you legitimately don't feel great, the best thing you can do for yourself is get in the right headspace :) Primarily also because you know more than you think you do, not studying is less of a detriment than not taking care of yourself; just don't let this be an excuse for slacking off! It's a similar thing to confidence - know the difference between confidence in your ability ie backing yourself! and outright arrogance - take care of yourself first, your study second.

b) You'll probably hear the same sayings over and over, like 'ATAR isn't the end of the world', 'there are many paths that lead to the same destination'; while that's true, don't let that lull you into a sense of complacency, or let that be an excuse for not studying. Essentially, work hard, but don't be disappointed if what you worked for doesn't come out quite right, or everything doesn't go to plan :)

c) A close circle of friends that you can fully trust (ie. talk about almost anything) is so important - most people inevitably break down, and it's really important to have people to talk to, especially if you don't want to share with your parents. A support network is absolutely amazing in getting through the year; they read you, you read them, and they completely understand everything you're going through, and they will listen to you all day long :)

d) Lastly, it really isn't that bad! It'll be over before you know it, and I guarantee you will be missing school at the end, so remember to enjoy it while it lasts, and don't leave school behind with regrets. It's cliched but true; take every opportunity you can get. There's a lot of things you won't be able to do anymore, and trust me, even if you tried to take all the opportunities, there will be a 'wait shit i forgot to do that'. There's so many things to do! Reduce the intensity of the 'wait shit' at the end by doing lots of stuff :)

e) Don't get complacent - it's always a tough thing to keep up your effort throughout the year, and there's part a) for that (take care of yourself!). But what if you already have taken care of yourself, and you're just on top of everything? Complacency I feel is even worse than underpreparing; it's never nice and you should always work hard, regardless of how easy something might be :)

Hope this isn't too late, and hope this helps a lot of people :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 06:54:58 pm »
I'll admit I saw this thread literally 10 minutes after it cropped up about a month ago. At the time, this was the main 'reason' for not contributing; I had no real compulsion and I felt a bit unqualified to give advice - and I did feel a little guilty for suspending this tab in my browser for a month. So sorry to everyone, for bumping this thread! Liberation has given me a fresh outlook on things and I have a few things to say (if it's not too late!). It's a bit of similar feeling to when I wrote about accelerating subjects this time last year, if I'm honest; so much to say, and it's just convenient while it's all in my head right now.

There have been two things I've been told that I've sort of lived by during this year, one from my Modern teacher and one from my Maths teacher, who have been by far and away the most important teachers in contributing to my final years. My Modern teacher simply told me to 'back myself' and my Maths teacher told our class 'to make the next exam our best one yet'. To break them down:

a) 'back myself' - that just means trust yourself; you did better than you think you did in exam (never is an exam the last say in your ATAR, and never is an exam worth crying over [feeds into my next point!]), and you know more than you think you know; even when you feel like you haven't studied enough, you'll go into the exam and your brain will know what to do. Overall, just trust what you've done in previous years, even if you've slacked off a tad; you know what works best for you, and no-one should tell you otherwise. Trust yourself to do well, you'll be fine. The HSC isn't actually that bad; while it might seem terrifying now, you'll get to the end and be like pfffft HAHA what?! so chill. Enjoy it, trust yourself! :)

b) 'Make your next exam your best one yet' - never is an exam worth crying over; always look ahead because you can't undo anything you've already done. The best positive impact you can have is literally by making your next exam your best one yet. The logic here is also very sound; while the idea isn't to make your first exam intentionally garbage, and then gradually improve to peak at the HSC, it means if you have a bad exam, you look forward and work to make the next one stellar; if you have a good one, you redouble your efforts and attempt to outdo yourself. Ultimately the only person you're competing with is yourself; push your limits and see how well you can do! In hindsight, while I clearly haven't peaked at the HSC, it's always helpful to aim high and be quietly confident; even if you fall down, you'll still have done the best you can, and that's all anyone can ask of you. Make everything a peak! :)

And now, unfortunately, what I've learnt the hard way :(

a) While I did say push your limits, don't push yourself too hard - rest, recuperation and mental health are so much more important than any study you can ever possibly do; I learnt this one the hard way because I took the same advice I'm giving right now way too lightly (so please don't!). If you legitimately don't feel great, the best thing you can do for yourself is get in the right headspace :) Primarily also because you know more than you think you do, not studying is less of a detriment than not taking care of yourself; just don't let this be an excuse for slacking off! It's a similar thing to confidence - know the difference between confidence in your ability ie backing yourself! and outright arrogance - take care of yourself first, your study second.

b) You'll probably hear the same sayings over and over, like 'ATAR isn't the end of the world', 'there are many paths that lead to the same destination'; while that's true, don't let that lull you into a sense of complacency, or let that be an excuse for not studying. Essentially, work hard, but don't be disappointed if what you worked for doesn't come out quite right, or everything doesn't go to plan :)

c) A close circle of friends that you can fully trust (ie. talk about almost anything) is so important - most people inevitably break down, and it's really important to have people to talk to, especially if you don't want to share with your parents. A support network is absolutely amazing in getting through the year; they read you, you read them, and they completely understand everything you're going through, and they will listen to you all day long :)

d) Lastly, it really isn't that bad! It'll be over before you know it, and I guarantee you will be missing school at the end, so remember to enjoy it while it lasts, and don't leave school behind with regrets. It's cliched but true; take every opportunity you can get. There's a lot of things you won't be able to do anymore, and trust me, even if you tried to take all the opportunities, there will be a 'wait shit i forgot to do that'. There's so many things to do! Reduce the intensity of the 'wait shit' at the end by doing lots of stuff :)

e) Don't get complacent - it's always a tough thing to keep up your effort throughout the year, and there's part a) for that (take care of yourself!). But what if you already have taken care of yourself, and you're just on top of everything? Complacency I feel is even worse than underpreparing; it's never nice and you should always work hard, regardless of how easy something might be :)

Hope this isn't too late, and hope this helps a lot of people :)

Thanks fun_jirachi! ;D

This is great information, I also found this very helpful and will use this insight throughout my HSC year
Thanks again,

Coolmate 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5