Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:47:36 pm

Author Topic: hobbitle's Eng Questions Thread  (Read 1454 times)  Share 

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
hobbitle's Eng Questions Thread
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:52:07 am »
+1
Hey peeps,

I'm going to have a crack at starting a thread to contain all of my questions that are from my eng-related subjects.  Only have one this semester but maybe this will continue into next year.  I basically have not done any physics and I'm discovering this has resulted in a big gap in my knowledge. 

So my first question is about fluid dynamics and the two flat plane experiment.

I understand and can draw the steady state profiles of the flat plane experiment (depending on which plane is moving) and also understand the derivation of Newton's Law of Viscosity:

tauzx = Fx/Az = -mu dvx/dz

But there's this one related concept that I'm struggling to understand. Fx is the force applied by the particles below the designated plane on to the particles above the plane.  So basically I understand this to be a friction force and so then there will be an opposing force that is equal and opposite applied by the particles above the plane to the particles below the plane.  But then why/how is there any net movement at all?
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: hobbitle's Eng Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:34 pm »
This is a classic Newton's 3rd Law problem. The reason that there is net movement is because there is an equal and opposite reaction force acting on different bodies. For example: if I hit a ball rightwards, there is a force imparted on the ball in the positive x-direction but there is an equal and opposite force on my hand in the left direction.

Although the vector sum of the forces is 0, the reaction force but N3 law doesn't act on the ball as well. Therefore there is net movement.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich