Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:39:42 pm

Author Topic: John XXIII!  (Read 3598 times)  Share 

hemlock

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
John XXIII!
« on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:02 pm »
Hello all,

Can I please have help with structuring this essay? I still don’t fully understand the structure of SOR essays.

“I want to throw open the windows of the Church so that we can see out and the people can see in” (Pope John XXIII)

Reflecting on the quote above, how effective has the significant person been in the development and/or expression of Christianity? (20 Marks)

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:09:51 am by hemlock »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: John XXIII!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »
+1
Hey hemlock! There are a few ways you could structure this (I didn't do John XXXIII so you might have better perspective on which is better). You could pick some significant "contributions" and write one paragraph on each, explaining the significance and backing up with evidence. You could do one/two paragraphs on the development of Christianity (so impact on history), and then one/two paragraphs on expression (so how Christians practice).

Or, and this is my preference, you could structure it around key beliefs. This means organising into paragraphs based on the Trinity, Divinity/Humanity (etc) and talk about how John XXXIII contributed to the development/expression of Christianity in each of these areas in turn. I explain this a bit more here ;D

Good luck!

athomas018

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:23 pm »
Hello Guys,

I have a SOR Essay coming up about Pope John 23rd and i am a bit lost at the moment.

This is the question:

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
Evaluate the relevance of this statement to the contribution to Christianity of ONE significant person or school of thought other than Jesus.

Now what exactly do i include in this essay, am i meant to talk about the hardships in the life of Pope John 23rd. If so where can i find some information on such a topic.

Any hlp will be kindly appreciated, thanks a lot.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:50:18 pm »
+2
Hello Guys,

I have a SOR Essay coming up about Pope John 23rd and i am a bit lost at the moment.

This is the question:

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
Evaluate the relevance of this statement to the contribution to Christianity of ONE significant person or school of thought other than Jesus.

Now what exactly do i include in this essay, am i meant to talk about the hardships in the life of Pope John 23rd. If so where can i find some information on such a topic.

Any hlp will be kindly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Hey there! Welcome to the forums! ;D II don't think you focus on personal hardships, but on challenging times for the Catholic Church and how the Pope demonstrated leadership in those times, and how this enabled his contribution to Christianity. The big thing it is alluding to is The Second Vatican Council, a super 'controversial' thing that I think should dominate your response to the question.

There are also a few notes here that might be helpful to you!! As might this guide on SOR essays. Best of luck ;D