Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:26:41 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 208868 times)  Share 

_QueenEm

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »
Hello there! I'm struggling to find a good related texts for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon! Wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions ;D Thank You!

yharb

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2017, 06:15:30 pm »
Would I be able to get my creative writing marked/checked here? Thanks  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:10 pm »
Would I be able to get my creative writing marked/checked here? Thanks  :)

Hey yharb! Welcome!

You certainly can, but you need 15 posts on ATAR Notes to access the feedback! This is just to make sure the markers can keep up and spend the 30 minutes-1 hour we like to spend to give quality feedback ;D

In case you aren't noticing, I'm removing all of your posts in the marking thread - Posting your creative 15 times definitely doesn't count. If you could stop that would be great :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:01 pm »
Hello there! I'm struggling to find a good related texts for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon! Wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions ;D Thank You!

Welcome to the forums Em! ;D we have a whole list of suggested ORT's you can read right here, I hope it is helpful to you!! ;D

Keen to see you around the forums more throughout the year :)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
Is paper one marked the same? My friends in advanced keep saying that advanced is a lot harder but we literally did the same exam except our prescribed text was 'Life of Pi' and theirs was 'The Tempest'. I got 27/30 and they got 15 and 22 and claimed that they were marked completely different in both sections (there was no creative writing). Does the HSC mark differently according to level?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
+2
Is paper one marked the same? My friends in advanced keep saying that advanced is a lot harder but we literally did the same exam except our prescribed text was 'Life of Pi' and theirs was 'The Tempest'. I got 27/30 and they got 15 and 22 and claimed that they were marked completely different in both sections (there was no creative writing). Does the HSC mark differently according to level?

Internally, your school may have decided to mark paper one separately for Standard and Advanced for whatever reason. But in the HSC, all of Paper One is marked together! I'd ask your teachers if Standard and Advanced were marked by different markers/to different standards. In the HSC, it is all the same :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:03 pm »
Hey Guys! I'm really confused about Mod A - Distinctive Images

So the rubric states :
"In their responding and composing, student's explore the ways we see the images and/or visualise in texts are created... consider how the forms, features and language ... create these images, affect interpretation and shape meaning"

So basically it saying that this module is looking into how we as an audience/responder percieve images or imagine them through written, spoken or visual text.

If I were correct, then to answer this question, "How are distinctive images used to convey ideas in the related text of your choosing?"
I would discuss how certain visuals tehcniques convey ideas (doing an artwork)?
Would I need to state what I visualise from seeing certain visual features of the image?
For example, melting clock ... one could visualise the absecence of time/clock in their home??? haha I'm so clueless :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:11:49 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:06 pm »
+1
Hey Guys! I'm really confused about Mod A - Distinctive Images

So the rubric states :
"In their responding and composing, student's explore the ways we see the images and/or visualise in texts are created... consider how the forms, features and language ... create these images, affect interpretation and shape meaning"

So basically it saying that this module is looking into how we as an audience/responder percieve images or imagine them through written, spoken or visual text.

If I were correct, then to answer this question, "How are distinctive images used to convey ideas in the related text of your choosing?"
I would discuss how certain visuals tehcniques convey ideas (doing an artwork)?
Would I need to state what I visualise from seeing certain visual features of the image?
For example, melting clock ... one could visualise the absecence of time/clock in their home??? haha I'm so clueless :P

Hey Dalvin! I'm not 100% sure of the answer to this but I've scrolled the internet to get a bit of an idea...

The module wants you to analyse the way texts are constructed, how this affects the way people interpret the texts, and how this all helps to create meaning in a text. You need to explain how the features of the visual text (colour, text, size, mise-en-scene, etc) come together to shape a meaning, and evoke a response. So with your example of the clock, if there is a melting clock, I'd interpret the melting (potentially added to by colour, shape, texture, etc), to be shaping the meaning of something becoming destroyed, withering away before our eyes, etc. And mix that with the symbol of the clock representing time (the structure of society) we might be able to view it all as a shaped meaning of life decaying before us.

This is hard to explain without having the actual text to look at, so I'm just hoping we are visualising the same thing! But it appears the module is simple: Texts are created through very strategic techniques ----- this shapes different meanings ----- and we interpret these meanings differently because art is open to interpretation, afterall.

Hopefully this gives you an idea, please ping back if it's still a bit lost on you and then we can look at being more specific :)

janemurray

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
Any ideas on how to study for AOS section 1???

What is the recommended number of words for an AOS creative writing piece during an exam (40 mins for the section)?? Thankyou

Mod Edit: Post merge ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:40:20 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:45 pm »
+1
What is the recommended number of words for an AOS creative writing piece during an exam (40 mins for the section)?? Thankyou

Hey Jane :) There's no recommended amount of words for an AOS piece, but I will say that 700-800 words is where most people sit! Any more than 1000 would likely be chewing into the other sections of the paper one exam, and any fewer than 600 would be too few words. So, I think the 700-800 word range seems suitable, but you need to play to your strengths and now just how much you can write in an exam! :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:21 pm »
Hello again! So basically my English half-yearly is goning be an interview held on week 11, but my problem is that I can't speak in a succint manner and if talk at a slower pace,  I won't be able to fit everything I want to say in time...

What are some solutions?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:31:39 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Fahim486

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
Hey everyone,

For Module A, my prescribed text is Summer of the Seventeenth Doll and so I was wondering is it okay to use poetic techniques when analysing a quote in your body paragraph or do you need to use dramatic techniques?

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:42 pm »
+1
Hello again! So basically my English half-yearly is goning be an interview held on week 11, but my problem is that I can't speak in a succint manner and if talk at a slower pace,  I won't be able to fit everything I want to say in time...

What are some solutions?

You should practice LOTS Dalvin - You'll have a better job being clear without slowing down if you have a good idea of what is about to come out of your mouth ;D practice with friends and peers who will be doing the task with you and so will have a feel for what is expected. Ultimately, confidence will be key to getting your ideas across in the most efficient way! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

For Module A, my prescribed text is Summer of the Seventeenth Doll and so I was wondering is it okay to use poetic techniques when analysing a quote in your body paragraph or do you need to use dramatic techniques?

Thanks!

You can definitely identify/analyse poetic techniques in your text even if it isn't a poem! ;D

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
Rain Drop Drop Top Stressin Bout Paper 1 Non-Stop

I have never satisfactorily completed Paper 1. Like in my Mid YEarlies I had 30 mins left for the story. Same happened in Year 11 but this time it was a little better than year 11. The thing is I don't know If I've been writing too much or whats happening at all. I never have time constraints in anything other than english, in fact im able to finish in 1:45:00 when the exams outta 2 hours in almost everything else. I don't even know what to do.
:3