Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:05:21 am

Author Topic: The PIP Thread  (Read 55136 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: The PIP Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 03:42:52 pm »
+2
Hey everyone, I really need help with my PIP ideas! It's getting later and later and I still haven't settled on an idea. My teacher is not giving me much assistance regarding my ideas so I thought I'd ask for help here!
I'm really interested in belief systems, especially cultic behaviour and also mormons (Church of Latter-Day Saints). I have a few ideas, but i'm wondering whether the topic should be more general and then use these belief systems or religions as like a case study, or have a really pin-pointed focus.

Here are some of my ideas and general brainstorming:
-the roles of religion as a social institution> Emile Durkheim>sacred and profane beliefs
-religiosity> the depth of people's religious feelings
-how growing religious secularism, western pop culture and changing forms of communication technologies have affected the mormon church
-something on how the book of mormon musical has affected the church
-something to do with cultic behavious

Thanks!
Hey! Welcome to the forums!
Firstly, i think you need to write down ALL of your ideas, then have a look at this guide and this guideto kind of check weather you're on the right track. I'd try and write down various ways in which each of those topics relate to the society and culture course (e.g. what could your research methodologies be, what concepts does it link too, what are you hoping to find out, etc.)
In terms of relating to what you have there, i quite like the idea of looking at secularisation in australian society, and also the concept of religiosity and looking at fundamentalism.
Once you have a list of clearly thought out ideas. Try and think of a hypothesis, some focus questions, ideas for chapters and research methodologies.
Then come back here.
Hope this helps!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 07:58:59 pm »
+3
Hey everyone, I really need help with my PIP ideas! It's getting later and later and I still haven't settled on an idea. My teacher is not giving me much assistance regarding my ideas so I thought I'd ask for help here!
I'm really interested in belief systems, especially cultic behaviour and also mormons (Church of Latter-Day Saints). I have a few ideas, but i'm wondering whether the topic should be more general and then use these belief systems or religions as like a case study, or have a really pin-pointed focus.

-the roles of religion as a social institution> Emile Durkheim>sacred and profane beliefs
-how growing religious secularism, western pop culture and changing forms of communication technologies have affected the mormon church

Thanks!

Hey there!

I think Mada438 covered most of what I was going to recommend. I love the Book Of Mormon Musical so it would be interesting to see you use it as a potential case study! You could dedicate a chapter for it and do a content analysis on it or even find articles/reviews that discusses religious representation within the musical and do content analyses on them  ;D That's an idea you could pursue and still look at religion and its representation in contemporary society as a whole. I hope this helps and let me know how it goes!

Angelina  :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:23 pm »
+2

Thanks!

Hey! Just adding onto Mada438 and angewina_nagen's fabulous answers, imo I like the secularisation idea the best! Someone in my class did secularisation in Australian and discussed different factors contributed to secularisation (Western society, media, etc) and used Christianity as a focus study. The belief systems and ideologies is definitely a great area to start with. This will make it easier to incorporate SAC concepts into your PIP (conflict theory would be great to discuss in your PIP). A content analysis of the 'Book of Mormon' musical would provide an interesting take on your topic.

Though essentially you do need to figure out your hypothesis and your aim first to truly figure out what you want to prove in each chapter and in your PIP overall.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

liladh

• Adventurer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:16 am »
+2
Thanks so much guys, I'm feeling really inspired and i'm getting on to it now!!
HSC 2018: English Advanced ✼ Ancient History (5th in the state) ✼ History Extension ✼ Society and Culture ✼ Visual Arts ✼ Japanese Continuers

Mia Badorrek

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:16 am »
+2
Hi guys, If it's not too much bother, would you mind sparing a few minutes to fill out my PIP questionnaire on "Is the current rise of Western female superheroes reflective of gender equality or is it just another way to objectify women?"
Thank you!!!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16Qr6t9soEaF0gQL6xnppEcCYGJCutpahPp7tP8faTsM/edit

rasha25

• Forum Regular
  • The world looks better upside down
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:06 pm »
Hi to all, I have kind of posted this before and got some feedback which was really good and useful. I have applied that feedback and are looking for some additional pointers as my PIP intro is due tomorrow! Thank you so much, all help and feedback is welcome.  :)

P.S I have some footnoting but it won't appear in a word document but its fine because I will be printing my intro using google docs which shows the footnoting.
~ 2018 ~
Advanced English | Legal Studies | Modern History | Society & Culture | Studies of Religion | Extension History | Business Studies

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 10:34:26 pm »
+3
Hi to all, I have kind of posted this before and got some feedback which was really good and useful. I have applied that feedback and are looking for some additional pointers as my PIP intro is due tomorrow! Thank you so much, all help and feedback is welcome.  :)

P.S I have some footnoting but it won't appear in a word document but its fine because I will be printing my intro using google docs which shows the footnoting.
Hey! Im glad you found the feedback to be useful!  :) I've had a read over this new intro you have written and i compared it too the original one you made and i can see how you've definitely improved and taken on board that feedback.
In all honesty, this introduction is really good! And I've seen the progression you've made with it. Literally the only thing i could say is there is a few typos around; but thats all!!
I really do like this! This feels like a very solid introduction!
Keep up the good work!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:48 pm »
+3

Introduction is so very very well written! Structure is definitely correct and you've written in such a concise manner. Well done!!
My only comment is that you didn't outline what your chapters will have. You started off "The focus of my chapters include....." and then nothing came after that. The outline should just be one sentence per chapter topic. Another comment I have is that your introduction is well over 500 words. I know you included a quote at the start but quotes are always apart of the word count!!!
That's all :)

huss1235

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:53 pm »
message me i done a very similar topic and can give you tips i got a band 6 in society this can be edited more but for tomorrow it is to late i can give you tips for next time you hand it in

rasha25

• Forum Regular
  • The world looks better upside down
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 07:35:49 am »
Hey! Im glad you found the feedback to be useful!  :) I've had a read over this new intro you have written and i compared it too the original one you made and i can see how you've definitely improved and taken on board that feedback.
In all honesty, this introduction is really good! And I've seen the progression you've made with it. Literally the only thing i could say is there is a few typos around; but thats all!!
I really do like this! This feels like a very solid introduction!
Keep up the good work!  ;D

Hello, thanks so much for your help and hahhaha I'm not the best at spelling  :)

Introduction is so very very well written! Structure is definitely correct and you've written in such a concise manner. Well done!!
My only comment is that you didn't outline what your chapters will have. You started off "The focus of my chapters include....." and then nothing came after that. The outline should just be one sentence per chapter topic. Another comment I have is that your introduction is well over 500 words. I know you included a quote at the start but quotes are always apart of the word count!!!
That's all :)

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback and yes I left the chapter sentence kinda blank because I'm not 100% on the chapter outlines that I have made. (I left a comment in red when I printed it to show my teacher) and yessssss I agree I'm always over the word count luckily its only by 17 words, however I still need to shrink it to 500 or 498. Thanks so much once again  :)

Mod Edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:29:22 pm by beatroot »
~ 2018 ~
Advanced English | Legal Studies | Modern History | Society & Culture | Studies of Religion | Extension History | Business Studies

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:40 pm »
Hey fam
So regarding my own pip journey, something I haven't focussed on much is my introduction.
So I thought i'd piece something rough together to make myself feel better, that I've completed a draft on it and got some summarising points down; as a lot of my work up until now has been updating my log (was way behind) constructing a rough survey (that's still not ready yet  :-\ ) and doing secondary research.
I thought i'd post my rough and ready draft for a bit of feedback.
Keep in mind, this is very rough. It's got a long way to go before it looks good. It is 484 words.
But any advice is valued!  :)
Intro is in the spoiler. Thanks peeps!  ;D
Spoiler
“You’re an only child? You must be SO spoilt”, “Don’t you get lonely?”, “You’re an only child? Wow that explains a lot…”, “I bet you wish you had a brother or a sister, don’t you?”. These are all questions that are experienced by only children. These are the stereotypes that are placed upon us. The ideas for my pip were formed from questions just like these. What is it like to grow up as an only child? What it is like to grow up with siblings? My specific topic focuses on only children, and how they develop and interact in the macro world compared to those who grew up with siblings. I chose this area of inquiry as I myself am an only child, and I want to see how my development is affected by my lack of siblings.

All those stereotypes about us, are they really all true? Does having siblings have that much of an effect on our identity formation? Do we really prove all those stereotypes true? My specific hypothesis is addressing “An individual’s identity formation is not dependent on weather or not they have siblings” I am aiming to disprove that growing up without siblings has any SIGNIFICANT impact on the way a child grows up, versus how they grow up with siblings. As an extension of this, I will focus on in detail the common stereotypes associated with only children, and I will seek to disprove them.

This project will focus on a few different primary research methods to compare and contrast to secondary research and either backup or disprove my hypothesis. The methods that will be used are questionnaires, interviews and focus groups. The questionnaires will aim to gain some quantitative data in order to make some base generalizations. The interviews and focus groups will aim to divulge deeper into this topic to gain qualitative data that will build upon the findings made by the questionnaires.

These stereotypes have not always been the same though. Over time, they have changed. From the beginning of the 20th century until now there has been changes in the perceptions of only children and how they interact within their micro world and the greater macro world. Therefore, this project will draw comparisons between previous and modern day perceptions of only children and how they have changed over time. This component will allow me to explore the changing percpptions of the macro world towards the individual interactions and traits of only children. It aims to gain an understanding of how the perdeptions have changed, and what forces have led to these changes, presenting me with view that is beyond my normal realm of experience.

As an only child, this project personally resonates with me, I aim to gain a deeper understanding of myself, as an only child and as an extension, become a more socially and culturally literate individual. 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:34 pm »
+3
Hey fam
So regarding my own pip journey, something I haven't focussed on much is my introduction.
So I thought i'd piece something rough together to make myself feel better, that I've completed a draft on it and got some summarising points down; as a lot of my work up until now has been updating my log (was way behind) constructing a rough survey (that's still not ready yet  :-\ ) and doing secondary research.
Keep in mind, this is very rough. It's got a long way to go before it looks good. It is 484 words.
Hey there!
I'm no expert in introductions (I still need to write mine xD) but I have read a few so this is just my opinion on your introduction.

Warning: I'm very finicky so I've written a fair bit here.

Spoiler
“You’re an only child? You must be SO spoilt”; “Don’t you get lonely?”; “You’re an only child? Wow that explains a lot…”; “I bet you wish you had a brother or a sister, don’t you?”Changed the commas to semi-colons- to me, too many commas can be confusing, especially if you're listing. These are all questions that are experienced by only children. These are the stereotypes that are placed upon us. The ideas for my pip PIP (me being picky xD) were formed from questions just like these: What is it like to grow up as an only child? What it is like to grow up with siblings? Are these the focus questions you will be addressing in your PIP? Personally, I think grouping all the focus questions into one paragraph can kinda make it flow better. My specific topic focuses on only children, and how they develop and interact in the macro world compared to those who grew up with siblings. I chose this area of inquiry as I myself am an only child, and I want to see how my development is affected by my lack of siblings. I think you should put your hypothesis here. For example, "Hence, the hypothesis addressed the idea of *insert hypothesis here*."

All those stereotypes about us, are they really all true? Does having siblings have that much of an effect on our identity formation? Do we really prove all those stereotypes true? Again, are these ideas you will be exploring? Maybe move it up to where your questions are in the first paragraph. To me, these questions kinda feel like a filler. If adding these questions to the first paragraph makes it a bit too long, either collapse some of them into one question or make them succinct. My specific hypothesis is addressing “An individual’s identity formation is not dependent on weather whether or not they have siblings” I am aiming to disprove that growing up without siblings has any SIGNIFICANT impact on the way a child grows up, versus how they grow up with siblings. As an extension of this, I will focus on in detail the common stereotypes associated with only children, and I will seek to disprove them. Like I said before, move your hypothesis to the first paragraph. Considering how long it is, try and condense it into one or two sentences.

This project will focus on a few different primary research methods to compare and contrast to secondary research and either backup or disprove my hypothesis. The methods that will be used are questionnaires, interviews and focus groups. The questionnaires will aim to gain some quantitative data in order to make some base generalisations. The interviews and focus groups will aim to divulge deeper into this topic to gain qualitative data that will build upon the findings made by the questionnaires.

Based on the reporting notes I've read, you need to justify your methods but you're not really justifying why you chose these research methods. Instead of combining primary and secondary research into one paragraph and talk about your cross-cultural comparison from the next paragraph and blend these two ideas together. For example, in one paragraph you could say: "Through the use of varying primary research methods, a comparison can be made between (say) Generation Z and Generation X. This is because *insert reasons why questionnaires (open-ended? closed-ended?), interviews (again, what type?) and focus groups can help you with this comparison.* In the next paragraph, talk about your secondary research and how that can support your primary research- mention a few sources you've annotated, maybe some books or journal articles?

These stereotypes have not always been the same though. Over time, they have changed. You've already mentioned in the previous sentence that these stereotypes aren't the same. You repeated it again in a different way, making it redundant. From the beginning of the 20th century until now there has been changes in the perceptions of only children and how they interact within their micro world and the greater macro world Or you could just say "micro and macro world"? Therefore, this project will draw comparisons between previous and modern day perceptions of only children and how they have changed over time. This component will allow me to explore the changing percpptions perceptions of the macro world towards the individual interactions and traits of only children. You've already mentioned in the previous sentence about change so repeating this is a bit unnecessary. You can condense this into one sentence. For example, "... and how they have changed over time through the analysis of individual interactions and traits of only children. It aims to gain an understanding of how the perdeptions perceptions have changed. You've mentioned change already.[/b], and what forces have led to these changes Maybe instead of repeating changing perceptions, take that out and expand on these changing forces. What has impacted the change? Include some SAC concepts here to expand your point., presenting me with view that is beyond my normal realm of experience. Include the sentence below this paragraph here.

As an only child, this project personally resonates with me, I aim to gain a deeper understanding of myself, as an only child and as an extension, become a more socially and culturally literate individual. Considering how the whole purpose of the PIP is to make us more socially and culturally literate, I feel like this feels like a regurgitation of a generic line. Considering how this is already 484 words, maybe shorten your first paragraph- maybe reduce the questions at the beginning (the ones in the first sentence) so you can expand this a bit more. Why can this PIP make someone socially and culturally literate? Is it allowing people to be more aware of the stereotypes attached to 'only children'?

Overall comments:
- You've included what you need in an introduction (e.g. what's the topic, why you chose it, primary and secondary research, what makes you a socially and culturally literate person)
- Based on my readings on exemplar introductions, I find that they are more formal than the log- I noticed you used a lot of personal pronouns so I'd say reduce that
- Condense some of your questions (especially the ones in the first sentence)- it's a great hook but I think three is the magic number
- You've only mentioned a few SAC concepts in your introduction. I'd suggest adding a few more (and try not to force them onto your topic) because HSC markers love SAC concepts.

So yeah, these are my thoughts. I'm no expert in this (and sorry for being so pedantic xD)- pretty sure beatroot is more of an expert here. However, if you need an exemplar to help you, I'd suggest this one.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:02:02 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

kyliebaxter

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 10:57:57 am »
+2
Hello everybody,

This is my Questionaire for my PIP! The topic is the popularity of theatre...Thanks for taking time out of the day and answering this!! Please share this around i need soooo many responses
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7aTXxkaQk0vZwUtt0vdsfp97H_pJtqHx426dlEcqBFpEv7g/viewform?usp=sf_link

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 08:14:32 pm »
+1
Hey fam
Spoiler
“You’re an only child? You must be SO spoilt”, “Don’t you get lonely?”, “You’re an only child? Wow that explains a lot…”, “I bet you wish you had a brother or a sister, don’t you?”. These are all questions that are experienced by only children. These are the stereotypes that are placed upon us. The ideas for my pip were formed from questions just like these. What is it like to grow up as an only child? What it is like to grow up with siblings? My specific topic focuses on only children, and how they develop and interact in the macro world compared to those who grew up with siblings. I chose this area of inquiry as I myself am an only child, and I want to see how my development is affected by my lack of siblings.

All those stereotypes about us, are they really all true? Does having siblings have that much of an effect on our identity formation? Do we really prove all those stereotypes true? My specific hypothesis is addressing “An individual’s identity formation is not dependent on weather or not they have siblings” I am aiming to disprove that growing up without siblings has any SIGNIFICANT impact on the way a child grows up, versus how they grow up with siblings. As an extension of this, I will focus on in detail the common stereotypes associated with only children, and I will seek to disprove them.

This project will focus on a few different primary research methods to compare and contrast to secondary research and either backup or disprove my hypothesis. The methods that will be used are questionnaires, interviews and focus groups. The questionnaires will aim to gain some quantitative data in order to make some base generalizations. The interviews and focus groups will aim to divulge deeper into this topic to gain qualitative data that will build upon the findings made by the questionnaires.

These stereotypes have not always been the same though. Over time, they have changed. From the beginning of the 20th century until now there has been changes in the perceptions of only children and how they interact within their micro world and the greater macro world. Therefore, this project will draw comparisons between previous and modern day perceptions of only children and how they have changed over time. This component will allow me to explore the changing percpptions of the macro world towards the individual interactions and traits of only children. It aims to gain an understanding of how the perdeptions have changed, and what forces have led to these changes, presenting me with view that is beyond my normal realm of experience.

As an only child, this project personally resonates with me, I aim to gain a deeper understanding of myself, as an only child and as an extension, become a more socially and culturally literate individual. 

Hey Adam! I've got my comments in bold in the spoiler down below:

Spoiler
“You’re an only child? You must be SO spoilt”, “Don’t you get lonely?”, “You’re an only child? Wow that explains a lot…”, “I bet you wish you had a brother or a sister, don’t you?” (I really do believe in the rule of thirds when it comes to quotes. Pick your top three and move on from there. It just looks a bit clunky and looks like you’re just trying to up the word count by adding a lot of quotes) These are all questions that are experienced by only children. These are the stereotypes that are placed upon us. The ideas for my pip (pip has to be capitalise as PIP) were formed from questions just like these. What is it like to grow up as an only child? What it is like to grow up with siblings? My specific topic focuses on only children, and how they develop and interact in the macro world compared to those who grew up with siblings. I chose this area of inquiry as I myself am an only child, and I want to see how my development is affected by my lack of siblings.

All those stereotypes about us, are they really all true? Does having siblings have that much of an effect on our identity formation? Do we really prove all those stereotypes true? (I’ll probably move these questions into the log bit or keep at least one question. I think you should keep the ‘Does having siblings have that much of an effect on our identity formation?’, then jump straight into the next sentence) My specific hypothesis is addressing “An individual’s identity formation is not dependent on whether or not they have siblings” (I feel like your hypothesis could be rewritten because it took me about three reads to finally understand your hypothesis. Maybe it could be like ‘The formation of an individual’s identity is not affected by whether they have siblings or not’ Again this is just my suggestion) I am aiming to disprove that growing up without siblings has any SIGNIFICANT impact on the way a child grows up, versus how they grow up with siblings. As an extension of this, I will focus on in detail the common stereotypes associated with only children, and I will seek to disprove them.

This project will focus on a few different primary research methods to compare and contrast to secondary research and either backup or disprove my hypothesis. The methods that will be used are questionnaires, interviews and focus groups (When you have finished your primary research, I would recommend coming back to this section and discuss who you interviewed/how many people answer your questionnaire/who was in your focus group. Doesn’t have to be long. It could be a very brief summary [one sentence per primary research method) The questionnaires will aim to gain some quantitative data in order to make some base generalisations. The interviews and focus groups will aim to divulge deeper into this topic to gain qualitative data that will build upon the findings made by the questionnaires.

These stereotypes have not always been the same though. Over time, they have changed. (If possible, try to synthesise the last two sentences together. Or possibly try to combine the last two sentences with the next sentence. Just makes it less clunky in my opinion) From the beginning of the 20th century until now there has been changes in the perceptions of only children and how they interact within their micro world and the greater macro world.  Therefore, this project will draw comparisons between previous and modern day perceptions of only children and how they have changed over time (Think you can definitely add more fundamental/additional concepts in this area). This component will allow me to explore the changing perceptions of the macro world towards the individual interactions and traits of only children. It aims to gain an understanding of how the perceptions have changed, and what forces have led to these changes, presenting me with view that is beyond my normal realm of experience (Will this be your cross cultural comparison? If it is, then it needs to be more obvious)

Good work on getting this introduction done! Just have a few more comments:
- Outline of chapters; I understand it's still early in your PIP journey to talk about your chapters but please don't forget this section of your introduction!
- Needs a statement of what secondary research methods you're using
- Needs a statement that you promise to practice ethical research
- Needs more course concepts; it's good you've mentioned the micro and macro worlds but it needs more. Can I suggest the following concepts to be included; persons, society, culture, time, power, identity, environment.
- I've mentioned this in my comment in the spoiler above but where's your cross cultural comparison. If the area that I commented on was the CCC, then it needs be more obvious.

Good luck with the rest of your PIP journey Adam ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »
+1
UPDATE!

Hey to all! Hope everyone is going well with their PIPs :)
Here's a new guide for everyone to read > Central material structure

At this point, you should be working on your central material. Quit perfecting your introduction right now and work on it later on. Prioritise your central material! It's the one with the most word count, so I would recommend getting this done FIRST!

Good luck everyone!