Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:34:23 pm

Author Topic: year 10 entry into 2021  (Read 1407 times)  Share 

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
  • yes, it’s true i suck at math
  • Respect: +3
year 10 entry into 2021
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:25:20 pm »
hi everyone!
I know you probably don’t care right now as the offers have just came out and a ton of you received offers ( CONGRATS BTW :) )
I’ve taken it upon myself to stop waiting around for a late round offer and start preparing for year 10 entry (yes i am desperate)
Does anyone have any tips on preparing for the exam, or writing the application?
Anything would help at this stage,
Cheers!

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: year 10 entry into 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »
hi everyone!
I know you probably don’t care right now as the offers have just came out and a ton of you received offers ( CONGRATS BTW :) )
I’ve taken it upon myself to stop waiting around for a late round offer and start preparing for year 10 entry (yes i am desperate)
Does anyone have any tips on preparing for the exam, or writing the application?
Anything would help at this stage,
Cheers!
Going by the new yr 10 students this year, you need to be very good at a sport or musical instrument, or some other sort of extra-curricular activity (debating, cadets). There is a state soccer player, couple of gun cricketers (premier 3s), state table tennis, state debater, and quite a few big men rowers who have gained entry in Year 10. Not to be pessimistic, but generally this is something that you have to have been good at or working on for most of your life.

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:07:12 pm »
Going by the new yr 10 students this year, you need to be very good at a sport or musical instrument, or some other sort of extra-curricular activity (debating, cadets). There is a state soccer player, couple of gun cricketers (premier 3s), state table tennis, state debater, and quite a few big men rowers who have gained entry in Year 10. Not to be pessimistic, but generally this is something that you have to have been good at or working on for most of your life.
thanks for the insight!
tbh i’m not that great at anything, like i’m not state level :(
I do swimming, taekwondo and badminton but I don’t participate competition-wise.
Is that enough?

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:45:45 pm »
thanks for the insight!
tbh i’m not that great at anything, like i’m not state level :(
I do swimming, taekwondo and badminton but I don’t participate competition-wise.
Is that enough?
I think if you make it seem like you have promise or good skill you'll be fine! Also just wondering what belt are you in taekwondo?
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

sippingtea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 06:19:30 pm »
I think if you make it seem like you have promise or good skill you'll be fine! Also just wondering what belt are you in taekwondo?
I’m in red 2 which is two stripes away from black belt :)

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 07:37:24 pm »
I’m in red 2 which is two stripes away from black belt :)
Nice! I used to do karate until brown belt :)
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 03:29:10 pm »
You gotta have really good stuff in your application because the results dont even matter. I tried out for mhs year 10 entry and I had stuff like regional soccer (one level below state) and cricket, robotics, chess and a bunch of other stuff. Still didnt make it in lolololol.

Youll need to have very strong extra curriculars to make it in. I think debating and cadets are things they really like.

For Mcrob your chances will be very slim, as they will be choosing only a couple of people depending on how many leave that year. so there may be no spots as well.

MHS has a minimum of 28 students that can enter, and also some more depending on how many people leave that particular year.

Good luck though!

by the way the year 10 exam is much easier than the year 9 so you dont have to even stress that much.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
A guy in my class last year made it into Melbourne high for year 10 entry last year. He did really well academically and played sports at a high level. His results were 3 superiors, some above and 1 average I think.