Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:41:14 pm

Author Topic: Free Original Practice Exam for English 2014  (Read 47050 times)  Share 

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Free Original Practice Exam for English 2014
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2014, 09:19:29 pm »
Thank you both for taking the time to reply! The awkwardness of expression/sentence length is a pervasive issue for me, unfortunately I don't think I can fix it in the following three days - I guess I'll just leave time for proofreading and bring in a dictionary to make sure words mean what I think they mean.

Also, a question about text response... When I was doing that exam, I avoided the 'How does Toibin' prompt because my strength/best ideas lie with the 'Why does Toibin' that the other prompt invited - is it ok if I don't plan/memorize plans for/practice 'how does Toibin' prompts, as there's likely to always be a second prompt that isn't a 'how' one? Thanks in advance!
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »
+6
Re: grammar and sentence length, you're right, there's no use stressing, however there are some ways to minimise this. Go through some of your practice pieces and see if you can identify 'triggers.' For instance, sentence length is probably an issue when you're using six or seven commas in a sentence without realising. Another common one is to have sentence fragments, eg. 'Engendering readers' support for this issue through the author's use of emotive language.' In most of these cases, beginning sentences with verbs like 'engendering' 'suggesting' 'implying' etc. usually (but not always) leads to fragments.
These are the sorts of things that you can actively look out for as you're writing.
Alternatively, you can spend whatever editing time you have (after each essay, or at the end when it's all done) scanning your pages for these triggers. This is usually a better use of your time than thoroughly rereading everything, since you might be tempted to alter a major idea or argument at the last minute, and chances are this will just cause more confusion, whereas having an extra 60 seconds to add in some extra full stops to break up the run-ons is generally a much more productive option.

With regards the the 'How'/ structure-based questions, yes it's perfectly fine to know your strengths lie elsewhere; most people find the structure questions tricky. However, I would recommend writing on at least one or two, since even though you may not choose a structural question (or there may not even be one) it can still inform your writing, or be used as supplementary evidence in your body paras. This is also usually some of the most sophisticated and detailed evidence you can use, as it shows the assessors you're capable of seeing that a text is more than just the sum of its characters and themes.
So perhaps plan some evidence out if you don't have the time to write a full essay, as it can't hurt to have a bit more evidence up your sleeve, but like the syntactical issues, it's not worth losing sleep over.

↓  IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE CONCERNED ABOUT STRUCTURAL PROMPTS  ↓
Something I've noticed going over VCAA documents and what not... (me and my pathetic Saturday nights) VCAA are aware that 'How' prompts are incredibly unpopular, and they've been a little devious sometimes.
Random example from the 2013 paper:
i. How does Cat's Eye show the importance of family in personal development?
ii. Cat's Eye shows how difficult it can be for people to come to terms with their past. Discuss.
Even without having studied the text, you can assume family is an easier theme to talk about compared to time, the past, and 'coming to terms' with things. In this sense, VCAA have started giving you rather tricky character/theme/V&V prompts, and then a relatively manageable structural one alongside it.
Another thing you might notice about these prompts is that the second one could easily be reworded:
ii. How does Cat's Eye show that it can be difficult for people to come to terms with their past.

VCAA have never written two prompts that begin with 'How' for the same text on one paper. But they can disguise a prompt quite easily.

And you people think I'm evil...

Vermilliona

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2014, 10:32:38 pm »
Really useful and insightful, thanks Lauren! I was misinterpreting how prompts as not allowing any room for the 'why' discussion, but now I get that that the 'why' can still be sneaked into there while addressing the how. If you do it properly. Which I'll try to do in my practice essay tomorrow for that Brooklyn prompt I didn't like d: I do usually get a bit of structural stuff eg third person limited narration into my essays, but hopefully planning a full essay out about structure will help me find more stuff I can use :)
2012 - LOTE Ukrainian 50
2013- Global Politics 47
2014- English 47, French 47, Psychology 45, Revolutions 49 (99.90)

Offering tutoring in Global Politics, Psychology and History! PM or contact as per http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nunawading/language-tutoring/global-politics-vce-tutoring-melbourne/1065783700

Valyria

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: John Monash Science School
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2014, 08:10:17 am »
And you people think I'm evil...

"Discuss the importance of interpolation and temporal displacement in Cat’s Eye" seemed quite evil to me :P

So for 'how' styled questions, would we only dedicate one body paragraph on structure and the others on characterisation/language/setting?

I would also appreciate it if anyone could provide feedback for my intro + para 1 on the article from exam 2 :)

Liz Bates contends in her blog post, “Nitty Gritty of the Inner City” that life in the city is tranquil and provides a network of connectivity with others. Commencing in a considered tone that later resonates into a compassionate tone, the blog is targeted towards those interested in urban life and city culture. Several visuals complement the blog by portraying the city as a lively environment as opposed to the isolated countryside.

From the outset of the article, Bates accentuates the stark contrast between the environments in the city and countryside. The positive word, “peaceful” within the words, “perhaps not as quiet as an empty paddock, but still peaceful” suggests that peace isn’t necessarily engendered through isolation  but rather, a tranquil environment that is lively in terms of social interactions. Such language encourages readers to acknowledge that although country life offers reticence, the environment is devoid of the social experiences that thrive in the city. The imagery, “I have an entire world within a five minute walk from my apartment” portrays the city as a gateway to a network of opportunities that is easily accessible. Such language positions readers to evaluate how urban life broadens horizons by providing opportunities for few experiences. The two visuals that complement Bates’ stance towards country living being a “wasted potential” depicts the country side as a bland environment in contrast to the city’s towers that are symbolic of a sense of spontaneity. The empty space within the country side visual suggests those living away from civilization aren’t capitalising on the opportunity to consolidate its ability to provide individuals with encapsulating experiences. Readers may feel appreciative towards city life as it accommodates a multitude of opportunities to rediscover oneself.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:42:52 pm by Valyria »
2014 ATAR: [99.20]
VCE English positions have been booked out for 2015.
2015: BCom/LLB @ Monash University

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2014, 04:53:55 pm »
If the exams questions for whose reality and wilfred owen war poems are anything like what you've done ... kill me now you wicked witch. Expelliamus.