Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:26 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207561 times)  Share 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #690 on: October 02, 2019, 11:23:23 pm »
Hello Ppl

In the Common Module Rubric there is a line that is "...examine how human quantities and emotions associated with, or arising from these experiences.".

Can some1 please explain/define what human qualities are, and what the markers are looking for if this is addressed?

Hey, DrewN20!

Did you mean the phrase on human qualities and emotions? If so, both human qualities and emotions are aspects of understanding what being human is all about. What differentiates qualities from emotions would be its broadness; I like to think of qualities as attributes you can assign to a person that describe their character. Some qualities include compassion, heroism, rebellion, independence, maturity or confidence. Emotions are more specific and describe the responses that emerge from this character. Some emotions include happiness, anxiety, disgust and envy. If you received a question in the exam on human qualities, I would identify what quality is being represented, how it contributes to an understanding of humanity and, therefore, what it educates us as audiences. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #691 on: October 02, 2019, 11:28:44 pm »
+1
Hey, i'm just wondering how would you structure a response when your prescribed text has multiple poems. My teacher said to primarily structure it based on 3 poems, and i've done pretty well that way. Will this approach work for the hsc? Or should I study the others?

Hey, boulos!

You've got a few options when it comes to structuring poems for an essay response. You could do it by text, as your teacher has suggested, so something like this.

Body 1- Text 1
Body 2- Text 2
Body 3- Text 3

You could also do it thematically and work with only two poems. This can enable you to do an integrated paragraph for the last body.

Theme 1- Text 1
Theme 2- Text 2
Theme 3- Text 1+2

Either structure works so definitely go with whichever you feel more confident with  :D As for how many poems you should study, I would recommend firstly studying however many you intend to use (whether it be two or three) in depth and prepare content with analysis for those. I would then memorise three quotes from the other poems in the unlikely event that they'll specify one in the exam. It's much better to be overprepared than underprepared! Hope that helps  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #692 on: October 04, 2019, 02:27:40 pm »
+1
Thanks So much angewina_naguen
Really Appreciate your help!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #693 on: October 11, 2019, 11:47:14 am »
Hey all,

I was wondering for the Module C reflection if we are asked to refer to any of our prescribed texts is it necessary to put quotes from that text in the reflection. I have heard so many different things and I have no idea what to do.

Thanks
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2019, 08:21:02 am »
Hey all,

I was wondering for the Module C reflection if we are asked to refer to any of our prescribed texts is it necessary to put quotes from that text in the reflection. I have heard so many different things and I have no idea what to do.

Thanks

Hey, Grace0702!

This is a fantastic question! I think there seems to be a general confusion as to what the Module C reflection should include so I'm glad this gives me a chance to clarify and share some of my thoughts on it.

When it comes to referring to your prescribed texts for Module C, you're welcome to use either language forms and features and/or direct quotes from the texts to illustrate how your writing has been influenced by it. A short example of how I did it using the language form of setting and briefly quoting the prescribed text can be seen below;

Sample Response
The role of setting is central to my narrative on change. The significance of the Grand Isle in my Module C prescribed text ignited an interest in writing a circular narrative. The cyclical structure Chopin employs is a hallmark to her character’s experience of “awakening” over the duration of the text. The importance of setting is suggested from my opening sentence; “It was another evening in the neighbourhood but she was the dawn of Harlem.” This immediate engagement invites the reader into the character’s environment and sets the scene.

Essentially, either of them works! I would personally recommend going with whatever you think works best or what you have been taught in school just to play it safe. As long as you're not analysing the prescribed texts' quotes more than your own, you'll be set  8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

timothy333333

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #695 on: October 13, 2019, 05:25:10 pm »
when an essay question asks 'to what extent' do we add our own opinion?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:27:44 pm by timothy333333 »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2019, 05:38:26 pm »
when an essay question asks 'to what extent' do we add our own opinion?
I believe so yes. You need to say for example "Therefore to a large extent.." etc

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #697 on: October 14, 2019, 09:42:02 am »
Hi Jamon or any other HSC moderator,

are you able to give me some feedback on my thesis for Module A: Language, Identity and Culture? My text is Henry Lawson and I would like to take a generic thesis into the exam that I can mould to the question. Would the below work or is it not generic enough?

"Cultural voice throughout skillfully composed texts expresses the collective identity of one's cultural perspectives. Within cultural groups are persons that shape the culture's prevailing assumptions and beliefs as a result of their individual identity"

Thanks so much!!

Hey, kiahbwright!

Welcome to the forums! The thesis you've got there works well with the module. My only recommendation is to still adapt it on the day to the question you're provided. Having a generic thesis should be a safety net, not a point of reliance. Make sure you incorporate the vocabulary in the question and gear your response to the question itself so you answer it appropriately. Love what you've got there though so hope everything goes well and good luck for the exams  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

2019Yr12student

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #698 on: October 14, 2019, 09:56:43 am »
Hey, kiahbwright!

Welcome to the forums! The thesis you've got there works well with the module. My only recommendation is to still adapt it on the day to the question you're provided. Having a generic thesis should be a safety net, not a point of reliance. Make sure you incorporate the vocabulary in the question and gear your response to the question itself so you answer it appropriately. Love what you've got there though so hope everything goes well and good luck for the exams  :)

Angelina  ;D

Thanks Angelina,

This is my thesis for the Common Module - studying the text 'I am Malala'. Is this thesis generic enough?

"In the memoir, 'I am Malala', the role of storytelling is achieved through revealing the paradoxical intentions and actions of individuals, which powerfully exposes individual and collective experiences."

Again, would be glad of your feedback! :)

boulos

• Adventurer
« Reply #699 on: October 14, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
Hey again, just wondering if I were to write a speech for Mod C, would it be classified as discursive, persuasive or could it be both?

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2019, 11:10:38 am »
+1
Hey again, just wondering if I were to write a speech for Mod C, would it be classified as discursive, persuasive or could it be both?

It depends how you write it. If the piece is more of a general discussion then it is a discursive. If it is more of an opinion piece then it would be considered a persuasive.
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2019, 11:18:21 am »
Thanks Angelina,

This is my thesis for the Common Module - studying the text 'I am Malala'. Is this thesis generic enough?

"In the memoir, 'I am Malala', the role of storytelling is achieved through revealing the paradoxical intentions and actions of individuals, which powerfully exposes individual and collective experiences."

Again, would be glad of your feedback! :)

Hey, kiahbwright!

That thesis is also fine but once again, if the question asks about, say, human motivations or human qualities, you would need to readjust it. I would also recommend introducing the prescribed text in the next sentence to shorten it and keep the thesis conceptual  :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2019, 02:31:21 pm »
Hey there! Apologies if this has been asked before, but for Module A (Language, Identity, and Culture), can NESA specify a certain poem to write about? I understand that its possible in Mod B (as it is a close study), but I'm unsure if that's a possibility for Mod A. If so, is it wise to prepare 'pairs' of poems, or just practice paragraphs on each individual one?
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

boulos

• Adventurer
« Reply #703 on: October 14, 2019, 05:01:41 pm »
It depends how you write it. If the piece is more of a general discussion then it is a discursive. If it is more of an opinion piece then it would be considered a persuasive.
Perfect thanks!!! Another question, that may seem stupid but when referring to our prescribed text is it single quotation, or underlining. Our teacher has told us to use single quotations, and i'm used to that. But I have been looking over past responses, and the use of underlines is clear.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #704 on: October 14, 2019, 07:18:49 pm »
Hey there! Apologies if this has been asked before, but for Module A (Language, Identity, and Culture), can NESA specify a certain poem to write about? I understand that its possible in Mod B (as it is a close study), but I'm unsure if that's a possibility for Mod A. If so, is it wise to prepare 'pairs' of poems, or just practice paragraphs on each individual one?

Hey, Martin!

I highly doubt NESA will specify a poem for Module A because it hasn't happened before in the past. That being said, if you would like to feel more prepared for the possibility, I would just recommend writing practice paragraphs for each individual one :) Bring in the two or three you're most confident with in the exam and have those there as a safety net in the worst case scenario.

Perfect thanks!!! Another question, that may seem stupid but when referring to our prescribed text is it single quotation, or underlining. Our teacher has told us to use single quotations, and i'm used to that. But I have been looking over past responses, and the use of underlines is clear.

Hey, boulos!

There's no such thing as a stupid question  :) Either works; I used single quotations in school and underlined in the HSC. As long as the marker can clearly see what your text is, that's what matters! Hope that clarifies that concern  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-