Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:46 am

Author Topic: Short Answers  (Read 576 times)

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Short Answers
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:55:47 pm »
Hi all!
For Paper 1, I usually struggle on short answer questions that is in the exam. I was just wondering is there any techniques to use when you are stuck on short answers? I am the type of guy who would get stuck in short answer in the exam room and just panic and write stuff that will not make sense. I just want to get a good start for HSC so if anyone can help me out that will be extremely appreciated! Thanks all!

romyss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Short Answers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:24 pm »
+1
Hi!
I similarly was very nervous and got stuck in Paper 1 short answer up until trials when i found a few techniques to help out.
First i heavily revised visual and language techniques so I could identify them with more confidence
then i started practicing for "identify" or "describe" questions which usually focus on a specific aspect of the human experience or tone
there is a technique called the SPIES acronym that no matter the type of human experience presented, it will have (usually) have multiple of these types of aspects in one way or another
Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, Social -> once you remember this, if you can't immediate identify what the text is about this will help guide you
Then i dissected and annotated the heck out of the common module rubric (as this is the only module tested in short answer) and defined and discussed in length every single important aspect (e.g. resonances, anomalies, communal experiences etc.). This made it - and I cannot stress this enough - SO much easier to identify the underlying meaning of the question and what it really wanted you to focus on.
If none of this helps, I recommend just take a second to breathe (which is easier said than done because it is very stressful under the time conditions), try collect your thoughts and try your best to write clearly and concisely. Ultimately saying few relevant points will get you further than stress-writing - I know from experience because i would be so stressed i had no idea what a short answer was about i just said anything that could be deemed plausible!
Have faith in yourself! Practice under times conditions and expose yourself to different forms of texts that may be in the exam. I hope some of this helps!
P.S. I just realized after writing all that you are just starting the HSC - you have so much time to improve! you most likely won't get short answer exam until trials and will pick up so many tips and tricks along the way. It is a massive year for growth!