Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:53:07 am

Author Topic: Photonics?  (Read 1333 times)  Share 

hifer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Photonics?
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:17:36 am »
Hey, just wondering if anyone's teachers actually taught them to use the 3 energy levels when describing how a laser works? I've seen generic solns from papers and notes but they never seem to mention the 3 energy levels?

Also, do u have to mention the fact that the distance between the reflecting mirrors have to a whole number of wavelengths apart?

Another thing is regarding population inversion, is that actually a noun or a verb? Does it refer to the action that u make more e- on the metastable state or the property of the lasing medium?

Thx :D

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: Photonics?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:59:11 pm »
Quote from: "hifer"
Hey, just wondering if anyone's teachers actually taught them to use the 3 energy levels when describing how a laser works? I've seen generic solns from papers and notes but they never seem to mention the 3 energy levels?

Also, do u have to mention the fact that the distance between the reflecting mirrors have to a whole number of wavelengths apart?

Another thing is regarding population inversion, is that actually a noun or a verb? Does it refer to the action that u make more e- on the metastable state or the property of the lasing medium?

The laser stuff... that's way 2 much info 4 exam purposes. Just stick a generic 4 mark explanation on the operation of lasers on ur cheat sheet and she'll b rite. There's only 11 Q's on photonics this year anywayz, so you can almost guess the questions.

The population inversion u do need 2 no, and it's the metastable thingy (lame english explanation: makes electrons go all bouncy >.<). I think it's an adjective verb combination, not that it really matters (yellow door, population inversion).
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Defiler

Photonics?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:43 pm »
MORE PHOTONICS STUFF PLZ!

Timtasticle

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: Photonics?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:39:50 pm »
Quote from: "Fyrefly"
Quote from: "hifer"

The laser stuff... that's way 2 much info 4 exam purposes. Just stick a generic 4 mark explanation on the operation of lasers on ur cheat sheet and she'll b rite. There's only 11 Q's on photonics this year anywayz, so you can almost guess the questions.

The population inversion u do need 2 no, and it's the metastable thingy (lame english explanation: makes electrons go all bouncy >.<). I think it's an adjective verb combination, not that it really matters (yellow door, population inversion).

You can guess the questions? Please share what you believe they will be? :)

hifer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Photonics?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:54:19 pm »
Does anyone have a prepared standard answer for how a laser works?