Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:06 pm

Author Topic: Wrong exam question  (Read 5104 times)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
Wrong exam question
« on: November 26, 2020, 05:49:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

I know that you exams are over now, but I’ve been really busy and want to ask a question about the exam questions for psychology (alternative sequence)

The question asks you to write the 3 Stages of the model of bystander intervention, but there are 5 stages.

The second I was done with that exam, I walked to the school library and checked the textbook, and I was completely right. I even asked my teacher and he too agreed that there are 5 stages....the textbook literally says there are FIVE.

So I just wanted to check, is this just a mistake in the exam question? Or is the textbook wrong? Or is there an alternative model of bystander intervention?

I re-read the entire chapter, and unless I am crazy, there are 5 stages, not 3.

In case you were wondering, I just talked about all 5 stages for my answer, I don’t know what I was supposed to do.

One more thing about the exam, one question asked you to explain something, using the study conducted by Latane and Darley as an example, but the textbook explains two different studies.... both conducted in the same year.
I just chose one of the studies and talked about it. The question just stated “using the study by Latane and Darley as an example,” it did not specify which study, the syllabus mentions both I’m pretty sure.

All together, these two were worth roughly 15 marks, and I am so confused because 1. The textbook says there are 5 stages
2. There are two different studies you can talk about.

Would I be marked down for this?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
Re: Wrong exam question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 06:23:24 pm »
The syllabus specifically asks for Bibb and Darley's 1968 model which has 3 stages. There is a very similar model which is 5 stage but this is the textbook's mistake not QCAA's.

The three stages are:
- noticing the situation
- interpreting the situation as requiring help
- taking responsibility for the situation

This is the model shown in the ATAR Notes courseguide if you've read that.

I'm guessing you used the 1970 5 stage model which is:
- recognising the situation
- interpreting it as an emergency
- taking responsibility
- deciding to act
- actually helping
(haven't checked the exact wording on this but that's the gist of it)

I imagine QCAA will make a note of this in the examiner's report. No guarantees, but I suspect that this year you would still get at least some of the marks, especially given how similar the models are.

The scenario they would be expecting students to discuss is the seizure recording one, as per the QCAA psychology teaching resources annotated bibliography.
Darley, JM & Latane, B 1968, ‘Bystander intervention in emergencies: Diffusion of responsibility’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 377–383, doi:10.1037/h0025589.

Even if you picked a different situation you may be able to gain marks provided that you discussed the experiment appropriately.

This might not be what you had wanted to hear but QCAA gave appropriate and clear instructions on what they were expecting and something has gone wrong with the textbook that they picked the wrong thing :(     In the past VCAA has been generous at times when textbooks have made mistakes and students have answered exams accordingly so fingers crossed that QCAA will be understanding for you.

Definitely don't give up hope for your marks

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:56:30 pm by Bri MT »