Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:01 am

Author Topic: General English Writing  (Read 1540 times)

cfirm0

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
General English Writing
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:12:53 pm »
Hello, I consider myself more of a maths and science student and struggle with writing. I have holidays and would like to know how I can improve really fast with this time I have. I would like to improve my marks and improve at English. Thanks

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: General English Writing
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:34:40 pm »
+3
Hello, I consider myself more of a maths and science student and struggle with writing. I have holidays and would like to know how I can improve really fast with this time I have. I would like to improve my marks and improve at English. Thanks

Hi cfirm0!
Is there a certain aspect of writing that you are hoping to improve? Or is there a certain assignment/exam you are most worried about?

If we are just talking about general improvement then I would suggest reading. The more you familiarise yourself with the English language and how you can communicate ideas/arguments in different genres, the easier it'll be for you come next year. So this could look like reading articles on JSTOR, reading novels (whether they be non-fiction or fiction), or reading poetry. If you do decide to do some reading, QCAA has a list of prescribed texts for the English subjects, so you could even try getting your hands on a copy of some of them (if you already know what texts you'll be looking at next year you could get a head start on those).

Also, a lot of students find that it is easy to lose marks because of small grammatical errors. So if you find that sometimes you struggle with spelling or punctuation then that is something that can certainly be improved before school starts back and it means that you are less likely to lose those marks for each assessment piece next year.

I hope some of this helps. But yeah, let us know if there is anything specific that you want to improve on and if you ever have some practice writing stuff that you want checked over I would be more than happy to have a read for you.

- Katelyn :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics