Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:16 am

Author Topic: Thoughts on YouTube Rewind 2019?  (Read 3337 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Thoughts on YouTube Rewind 2019?
« on: December 07, 2019, 11:25:46 pm »
+2
Hey Everyone ;D,

So recently, YouTube has released Rewind 2019.
What is everyone's thoughts on it? Did you think it improved since last years? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAe1cqCOXo

Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:34:58 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Thoughts on YouTube Rewind 2019?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:51:59 pm »
+4
Honestly what was wrong with the 2018 one? I’m actually curious because
I see soo many YouTube comments about people complaining and I don’t get why people are so bothered about something that imo has no real value or relevance to anything lol.

Like it’s literally just a video..?

GodNifty

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:54:29 pm »
+6
Hey Everyone ;D,

So recently, YouTube has released Rewind 2019.
What is everyone's thoughts on it? Did you think it improved since last years? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAe1cqCOXo

Coolmate 8)
Wasn't extremely terrible, but was a lazy effort from the YouTube team. It was incredibly amateur.

A bit disappointing because if I recall, the CEO of YouTube even said that they will make an even better Rewind in 2019, yet all we received was a high school media assignment.

I see soo many YouTube comments about people complaining and I don’t get why people are so bothered about something that imo has no real value or relevance to anything lol.

Have a look at the video again.

YouTube 2018 was very big in terms content - PewDiePie vs T-Series sub count and KSI vs Joe Weller/Logan Paul were both the biggest highlights of 2018, yet YouTube didn't mention these events at all, also keep in mind PewDiePie wasn't even included at all and he was the 2nd most subscribed YouTuber at that time (or first, im not sure).

Plus, a quarter of the video was political, which probably isn't beneficial as there are many people online who like to argue over trivial matter.

Mod edit(PF): Merged posts.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:24:44 am by PhoenixxFire »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:02:16 am »
+6
Poor effort from Youtube's team.

Yes the 2018 Youtube Rewind was cringe but at least some effort was put into it. I watched some reviews online and one person's review stuck out to me "the 2018 one was cringe but don't we all love some cringe every now and then?"

"The 2019 literally feels like a WatchMojo video but without the commentary" (this is what Youtuber Jackfilms had to say and I completely agree)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:17:41 am »
+8

People hated the 2018 one because it omitted a lot of highlights throughout the year, as mentioned previously, KSI vs Logan Paul, the rise of Shane Dawson documentaries, T-Series vs Pewdiepie. And the reason why these events weren't included in 2018 Rewind is because these Youtubers aren's what traditional companies consider as "brand-safe". They're very controversial people and when Youtube is associated with extremely controversial people, they want to pull back ads, hence the ad-pocalypse. People hate this because not only are you completely ignoring the highlights but it's really showing that Youtube is no longer just a safe space for small creators but it's become more of a business and they only care about getting money by featuring more "brand-safe" creators (e.g. Casey Neistat, Lily Singh) and by satisfying the requirements of traditional companies (ironically, these companies don't even understand how social media works and have double standards in terms of where they want to show their ads). And also Youtube showing traditional celebrities such as Will Smith doesn't really help the situation because it kinda shows that Youtube cares more about traditional celebrities instead of smaller content creators.

Youtube may seem trivial to some people but it's become a lot more serious over the past few years with the ad-pocalypse, its crackdown on predator content and alienation of the gaming community, demonetisation issues  and double standards in advertising. Even the Pewdiepie vs T-Series event last year - it may be a meme but to many creators, the reason why everyone wanted Pewdiepie to remain on top is because once a massive corporation like T-Series takes over, then it's symbolic of Youtube being taken over by big media companies instead of that homey aesthetic Youtube once had.

Yes, I like Youtube drama lol.

As for the 2019 Rewind, it felt very safe in terms of editing and production. I guess it's better to be safe with the production rather than spending a lot of money on production and then those efforts get trashed. Then again, I liked it when they went full out on production because it was actually creative (I think they did a good job with the 2016 Rewind).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 01:30:15 am »
+5
Just watched 2019 and rewatched 2018 in succession and am not a fan of either for different reasons. If I had to choose one I would probably go with 2018  :-\

I don't think I am the target audience through - whilst I know of some of the non-music related YouTubers in those videos I don't really watch any of them regularly (Maybe just Marques Brownless occasionally).

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:15:08 am »
+4
I guess that although I don't think YouTube rewind was particularly enjoyable, I think that it was better than 2018 rewind. However, I can see why taking footage directly off of channel is more practical for youtube. For one thing, it saves them heaps of money that would otherwise be spent on creating a set and props and paying people to film and edit raw footage. It also means that YouTubers who want to be in it don't have to give up days of their time or fly around the world (for some to only be in the background for about two seconds).

I hope that next year youtube tries something different, because this certainly felt like a "top ten" list pulled off of WatchMojo.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:53 am »
Poor effort from Youtube's team.

Yes the 2018 Youtube Rewind was cringe but at least some effort was put into it. I watched some reviews online and one person's review stuck out to me "the 2018 one was cringe but don't we all love some cringe every now and then?"

"The 2019 literally feels like a WatchMojo video but without the commentary" (this is what Youtuber Jackfilms had to say and I completely agree)

Yeah, I agree with this. I felt like it also needed some kind of story line as well, like the 2018 one, but less cringe, rather than a top 10 video 8)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:32:22 am »
I guess that although I don't think YouTube rewind was particularly enjoyable, I think that it was better than 2018 rewind. However, I can see why taking footage directly off of channel is more practical for youtube. For one thing, it saves them heaps of money that would otherwise be spent on creating a set and props and paying people to film and edit raw footage. It also means that YouTubers who want to be in it don't have to give up days of their time or fly around the world (for some to only be in the background for about two seconds).

I hope that next year youtube tries something different, because this certainly felt like a "top ten" list pulled off of WatchMojo.

Yeah, I can see how it is practical that YouTube just took and edited footage rather than spending money buying props, sets and other things :)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 12:13:29 pm »
+2
There was a person named Michelle Khare who did like a musical of YouTube rewind which was kind of decent. Still waiting for youtube reryan though... ;D I honestly don’t think that the rewind this year should even deserve the name... so sad
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
+2
If you guys haven't watched this (about why being a creator who gives up their time to be part of rewind can be so awful), I would totally recommend it.

Also, this is a great video about what was so meh about this year's rewind:

BKmaps

• Adventurer
  • BK
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »
+1
Youtube is a lefty mate .. where’s my fellow conservative righties at?
englinguistics 36
mysoftdev 43
methhead 35
speshal kids 29
chemotherapy 30
physically hard 31

atar 92.75 somehow
2019 rox