Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:38 pm

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79770 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: whys' VCE journal
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2020, 04:07:58 pm »
+7
I'm so sorry to hear that :(
Hope you and your family are doing okay.
Thank you.

First day of school today. Presented with our year twelve badges, met the new year 9 cohort, marvelled at the fact that we are already in year twelve yet feel we are growing too fast for ourselves to adjust and consequently still feel like we were in year 9, entering the school for the first time. Sometimes I feel like I was born yesterday, and it's crazy to think I have all these memories from only 17 years of existence. I've really been thinking hard these holidays, and I've realised that even though life is short and has no purpose, surely there's some point to it? It's taken me a while to wrap my head around the fact that everything changes and everything is temporary, and nothing is always as it is. Alright, I'll stop rambling on about useless things and cut to the point here. To be honest? Right now I feel tired and my feet could fall off at any second (I did no exercise on the holidays so I wasn't used to the walk to and from the bus stop haha). I'm also honestly having an existential crisis too lol, and I feel like life is so short - too short :o

I hope everyone had a good day today and that you have a great first day at uni/school!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:30:27 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2020, 07:13:30 pm »
+3
Presented with our year twelve badges,
Woah, you guys get year twelve badges? That's so cool! I'm definitely jealous right now lol.

marvelled at the fact that we are already in year twelve yet feel we are growing too fast for ourselves to adjust and consequently still feel like we were in year 9, entering the school for the first time.
Yep, I still remember my first day of Year 9 and meeting everyone for the first time. It DOES NOT feel like 3 years have gone by. Time's quickly slipping away.

Right now I feel tired and my feet could fall off at any second (I did no exercise on the holidays so I wasn't used to the walk to and from the bus stop haha).
Glad I'm not the only one! I was running to catch a train the other day and when I arrived just in time, I was huffing and puffing. I really need to do some exercise and get fit.  :P

I have existential crises all the time! Ever since I was in prep ( I was a weird kid, don't judge). I think it's important to reflect on the purpose of life and such but I also have a feeling that there's not one answer, if you know what I mean. I think there are multiple aims and right now, there might not be answers but as we progress through life, hopefully they will become clear of at least we get an inkling of what life might be about and why we're here.

Well, I hope you enjoyed your first day of school! Let's smash this final year and go out in style!  8)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2020, 02:58:25 pm »
+7
I have existential crises all the time! Ever since I was in prep ( I was a weird kid, don't judge). I think it's important to reflect on the purpose of life and such but I also have a feeling that there's not one answer, if you know what I mean. I think there are multiple aims and right now, there might not be answers but as we progress through life, hopefully they will become clear of at least we get an inkling of what life might be about and why we're here.
Glad to know I'm not the only one :D

On a random side note, I'd like to add that I'm super excited and ready to face this year! Sometimes I wish I could stay in school forever. I think we all take this valuable time for granted before it's too late and you realise you can never get your highschool years back again. I want to make the most out of this year - do my best in everything, try new things and embrace opportunities I know I won't be offered again. There's so much I want to do this year, and I hope I'll be able to keep in touch with my teachers after school as well. It will be exciting to see where all this leads in the end! I'm happy that I enjoy all my subjects, even though I have a very pronounced love-hate relationship with *ahem* chemistry, so I hope that's a big bonus since I'll actually enjoy studying. This was like psych for me - I loved the subject so much that studying never felt like studying for me, it felt like I was actually learning and discovering new, intriguing ideas. Hopefully 'studying' for my 4 subjects this year will be similar. Another big thing I want to do is start drawing and writing again. I miss this so much. Many people today know me as someone academically oriented, and although I might be, I never want to lose the creative side of me that used to be such a big part of my life. I don't want to ever give it up just to suffocate under the burden of pure academics. It's important to have balance, so maybe sometime this year I'll find time to be myself again and learn to make time for hobbies and things I love doing.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!
psych [50] bio [50]

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2020, 03:17:29 pm »
+4

This literally describes me so much!! I had these feelings from the time I was young....still do....but still trying to enjoy life as much!!
Glad I'm not alone  ;D

Glad to know I'm not the only one :D

On a random side note, I'd like to add that I'm super excited and ready to face this year! Sometimes I wish I could stay in school forever. I think we all take this valuable time for granted before it's too late and you realise you can never get your highschool years back again. I want to make the most out of this year - do my best in everything, try new things and embrace opportunities I know I won't be offered again. There's so much I want to do this year, and I hope I'll be able to keep in touch with my teachers after school as well. It will be exciting to see where all this leads in the end! I'm happy that I enjoy all my subjects, even though I have a very pronounced love-hate relationship with *ahem* chemistry, so I hope that's a big bonus since I'll actually enjoy studying. This was like psych for me - I loved the subject so much that studying never felt like studying for me, it felt like I was actually learning and discovering new, intriguing ideas. Hopefully 'studying' for my 4 subjects this year will be similar. Another big thing I want to do is start drawing and writing again. I miss this so much. Many people today know me as someone academically oriented, and although I might be, I never want to lose the creative side of me that used to be such a big part of my life. I don't want to ever give it up just to suffocate under the burden of pure academics. It's important to have balance, so maybe sometime this year I'll find time to be myself again and learn to make time for hobbies and things I love doing.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

You've got this whys!!! Enjoy the year, it will go past so quickly. Treasure every moment, and make the most of it, and dont forget to look after yourself. Good luck for the year, I'm excited to see where the year will take you  :)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2020, 06:15:26 pm »
+1
You've got this whys!!! Enjoy the year, it will go past so quickly. Treasure every moment, and make the most of it, and dont forget to look after yourself. Good luck for the year, I'm excited to see where the year will take you  :)

Thank you so much ArtyDreams! <3
psych [50] bio [50]

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2020, 06:24:09 pm »
+3
I'd like to add that I'm super excited and ready to face this year! Sometimes I wish I could stay in school forever. I think we all take this valuable time for granted before it's too late and you realise you can never get your highschool years back again. I want to make the most out of this year - do my best in everything, try new things and embrace opportunities I know I won't be offered again. There's so much I want to do this year, and I hope I'll be able to keep in touch with my teachers after school as well. It will be exciting to see where all this leads in the end! I'm happy that I enjoy all my subjects, even though I have a very pronounced love-hate relationship with *ahem* chemistry, so I hope that's a big bonus since I'll actually enjoy studying. This was like psych for me - I loved the subject so much that studying never felt like studying for me, it felt like I was actually learning and discovering new, intriguing ideas. Hopefully 'studying' for my 4 subjects this year will be similar. Another big thing I want to do is start drawing and writing again. I miss this so much. Many people today know me as someone academically oriented, and although I might be, I never want to lose the creative side of me that used to be such a big part of my life. I don't want to ever give it up just to suffocate under the burden of pure academics. It's important to have balance, so maybe sometime this year I'll find time to be myself again and learn to make time for hobbies and things I love doing.

Hey whys!
I can absolutely relate to taking most of high school for granted and not realizing how valuable it is! I wish I had really understood VCE in like year 9 or 10, and not wasted my years of english cause now i cant write an essay to save my life! It's so good that you want to continue your passion for creativity you are actually inspiring!
It's awesome that you love your subjects and I cant wait to see your journey, you'll do amazing!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »
+4
Hey whys!  ;D
How are you doing?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2020, 01:10:16 pm »
+5
Hey whys!  ;D
How are you doing?
Thanks for checking in :). It's been a while, so at least I'll have quite a bit to say in this update.

Hey whys!
I can absolutely relate to taking most of high school for granted and not realizing how valuable it is! I wish I had really understood VCE in like year 9 or 10, and not wasted my years of english cause now i cant write an essay to save my life! It's so good that you want to continue your passion for creativity you are actually inspiring!
It's awesome that you love your subjects and I cant wait to see your journey, you'll do amazing!
Thank you J_Rho for the reply! We have a year to go, might as well make the most out of it! I'm a big sayer of not letting go of what you love no matter how much you have to study :P.

Hello folks, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been really busy!

I'd like to start off by saying that (almost) a month of school has gone by so quickly and I feel like I'm struggling to catch up with all my subjects despite only doing 4. Chemistry is my first sac, and although it is my worst subject, I am quite confident I can score highly as it is just a prac write-up - no complicated content to know except galvanic cells and redox reactions, which is pretty easy anyway. I'm most nervous for the English sac. I feel like I've forgotten how to write - my sentences are disjointed, my writing isn't specific, and I have no idea how I'm going to pull through in the actual sac, which is coming too soon than I would like. But, the most I can do is try my best and hope for a good outcome. I want to feel satisfied I did the most I could and tried my absolute best rather than mope about it and regretting not studying.

On a more positive note, my ucat game has been going quite strong and I feel that I'm steadily improving. I've been doing approximately an hour a day for the past week, but I still have so much to improve on. It's unusually relaxing to practice ucat questions after a long, tiring day, despite it being a timed exam and having to do timed practice. My worst section is abstract reasoning, but I've been told that it's the easiest section to improve on so I'm crossing my fingers for the best. I love vr and dm - the sections I lose the least marks in. Perhaps I'm more of an English student than I like to admit. I've always considered myself a stronger maths/science student but I guess we'll have to see.

Methods is very therapeutic too, perhaps due to the repetitive nature of the textbook questions. Instead of thinking "wow, these are boring" I've slowly shifted my mindset to "this is relaxing, it's satisfying when I know what I'm doing and get it right". It's sort of like mindful colouring, except you have to put in slightly more effort to be able to understand the concepts during a more difficult question. Chapter reviews are different - not very calming and relaxing; more challenging, which is fun nonetheless. I'm excited to see how the year will unfold in terms of maths. We don't have our methods sac till term 2, similar to majority of schools in Victoria. I hope this will allow me ample time to perfect my maths skills and learn how to apply simple concepts to difficult application questions (our sacs are notorious for a handful of extremely difficult questions, courtesy of one of the maths teachers who helps write the 3/4 methods exam). I feel like the maths teachers at my school are super willing to help. They won't hesitate to spend their lunchtime or time after/before school to help you out. They seem the most enthusiastic about their subject when compared to other teachers ;D.

I've slowly been falling behind in biology. My bio sac isn't for another 5 weeks, but I need to get on top of my game before the frantically-studying-before-chem-and-english-sacs period comes around, because I know during that time my focus will be anywhere but bio. The content is fairly interesting and hasn't been difficult so far, which is good. It feels more content-heavy than psych - perhaps because I enjoyed psych so much it didn't feel content-heavy at all. I hope I can enjoy bio at least half the amount I enjoyed psych - that will aid immensely in studying for the subject. There's not much else to say about bio - it's been pretty neutral and I'm looking forward to learning about immunity later on.

I don't actually think I have much else to say in this update (pfft... so much for thinking I had lots to write about) that is related to academics. On a side note, I am looking to reread my favourite book series soon. It's about time I reread it - 10 billion times is obviously not enough ;D. I also still haven't watched Parasite, which I desperately need to see. Maybe soon? I can't seem to find time to fit into my schedule to watch a movie, so it might have to wait till the school holidays. I also got a new calendar so I can finally keep myself organised with regards to sac dates and other important events.

See you guys later!
psych [50] bio [50]

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:11 pm »
+3
Great work whys.

Good luck with your Chem and English SAC. Is your English SAC the creative?
Good to see that you have a proper schedule for the UCAT, when will the testing take place btw?
Bio is a lotta work but I'm sure you'll be able to catch up with your class, how you finding the content?

Maybe soon? I can't seem to find time to fit into my schedule to watch a movie, so it might have to wait till the school holidays.

:o :o :o
(meanwhile, I just finished watching a season of 'Locke & Key' on Netflix  :-[)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »
+4
Great work whys.

Good luck with your Chem and English SAC. Is your English SAC the creative?
Good to see that you have a proper schedule for the UCAT, when will the testing take place btw?
Bio is a lotta work but I'm sure you'll be able to catch up with your class, how you finding the content?

:o :o :o
(meanwhile, I just finished watching a season of 'Locke & Key' on Netflix  :-[)

Nope, my english sac is the text response. Testing for the ucat occurs in the july period, so not long to go! Lowkey nervous haha, it sucks that Monash weights the 2-hour ucat exam and years of hard work put into vce equally. The content for bio is pretty easy, and it's pretty interesting, so I don't think I'll have difficulty catching up.

Haha, I don't have Netflix, which is probably a big reason why I don't currently watch any tv shows/movies. I only have Amazon Prime, which I don't use anyway. Not having access to any movies/tv shows makes my life a whole lot easier, but it's always good to have a break. I'm just the type of person to binge watch tv shows non-stop, so it's probably better if I didn't have access to tv shows.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:05:08 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2020, 08:00:58 am »
+3
I'm just the type of person to binge watch tv shows non-stop, so it's probably better if I didn't have access to tv shows.

I should get onto this . . .
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2020, 11:30:13 pm »
+10
Tonight, I am falling.
Through the blurriness of my surroundings, I make out figures.
Figures of people. Figures of people smiling, laughing. Dancing. As if the only element in this world was the purity of joy.
Tonight, I cannot join them.
My fingers reach out to grip the edges of reality, but I stumble further and rays of greyness slip past. They are calling, they are shouting my name, but I cannot hear. I am blinded by my mistakes; deafened by my cynicism; still trying to hold on to yesterday.

Loneliness is a thief; he steals your laughter for himself. Doubt is a composer; he plays notes of silence upon the fragility of your life. Inability is the weight of the sun on your back; it is the feeling of warmth that turns into burden. It burns you. The red of fire burns you; acid peels away your skin and now you are the epitome of your flaws; of your unprotected self that is yet to see the world. Now you are exposed; you are no longer an actor who braves the day with the false security of a smile that hides the melancholy within. You are not free… no, you are shackled to the ground by their caustic words, and you are the puppet they control. Who are you?

In your eyes
Hopeless and broken
I see tomorrow
But tomorrow is a hope; never a promise.
In your smile
You hide the longing for oxygen your corrupted lungs forbid
What is your heart's desire?

A thousand worthless fragments of the moon now lay in her palm; no longer shimmering. A million pieces of her heart have been shattered, where are they now? She said she would fly to the moon; promised to fulfill her heart's desires. The darkness consumes her; it belongs with her; it is her. Her thoughts were once a tidal wave of ideas, but they no longer exist. They are not remembered, because they were not worthy of care. She is a skeleton built by emotions that no longer exist. The sea she walks upon is an endless pool of soothing calmness; a death that mere life cannot provide. The serenity of the ocean's gaping mouth she embraces willingly as she goes under; no longer hidden by shadows. No longer guilted by her failures. Tonight, she dreams of nothingness. A fellow traveller no more. Scars erased. A lost soul put to rest.

Sorry
I just realised how this post might come across. I do consider myself a very optimistic person, but today I feel hopeless and unable to succeed; burdened by failures. For the first time since forever, I admit that I am not fine. I hope you can understand my need to document such lowly moments. I want this journal to be a true reflection of what I am going through, not a rose-coloured story of my last years in highschool.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:12:04 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2020, 06:49:19 am »
+6
I think it’s beautiful that you can express your true feeling on here whys, your writing is very pretty.

All the best I hope you have a better day today  :)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2020, 08:39:26 am »
+5
Hey whys.

There is absolutely no need to apologise about what you are feeling. This is your outlet to express your truest emotions.  :)

Sending strength your way.
By the way, your writing is very beautiful!

I hope you overcome your difficulties soon.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2020, 08:52:06 am »
+7
Hi whys,

It is totally fine to express yourself like this in your journal and it is fine to let yourself go. We are all with you and supporting you every step of the way, no matter how tough things get, we will always be there for you. Always remember that you are not alone.
Thank you for being honest and your writing is so enchanting to read.

Hope you have a wonderful day today.
~Sending love ~💕💕