Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:48:22 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469837 times)  Share 

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #885 on: October 31, 2017, 06:42:46 pm »
hold on, quick question, for observational learning in the 'attention stage', should they be actively watching the behaviour only or the behaviour AND the consequence??

and should reference to behaviour AND consequence be carried through when describing other stages too??

I think these type of questions would refer mainly towards a certain type of action or behaviour an individual is trying to learn, and therefore as a result it would only be necessary to mention the relevant behaviour.
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

jrose006

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #886 on: October 31, 2017, 07:56:03 pm »
Does anyone wanna chat about Question 8d on the VCAA 2017 trial paper?
I really don't know what they want for 2 marks as I have so much to say!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:25:35 pm by jrose006 »

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #887 on: October 31, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me how standard deviation works and how if the standard deviation is lower the results are more accurate?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:16:53 pm by colin.j »

• Trailblazer
« Reply #888 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:51 pm »

Is that the one about reliability and validity? Wouldn't you just define each and apply?

colin.j

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Waverley Christian College
« Reply #889 on: October 31, 2017, 08:05:04 pm »

Yeah, could someone also explain this please, because originally I thought that the study lacked in validity because the participants may have experienced performance impairment due to the experimental design of the study (repeated measures), especially on day 2 and 3. However the answers say to not only define it but state that the results are valid.

• Trailblazer
« Reply #890 on: October 31, 2017, 08:05:29 pm »
Does anyone know how to explain the reason for depression in Parkinson's sufferers?

Also, what is meant by a evidence-based intervention?

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #891 on: October 31, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »
Does anyone know how to explain the reason for depression in Parkinson's sufferers?

Also, what is meant by a evidence-based intervention?
As far as I know, the reason for the depression in Parkinson's disease is due to the lack of the neurotransmitter GABA.
Evidence-based interventions are just treatments that have been found effective on the basis reliable research evidence/studies

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #892 on: October 31, 2017, 08:12:58 pm »
I think these type of questions would refer mainly towards a certain type of action or behaviour an individual is trying to learn, and therefore as a result it would only be necessary to mention the relevant behaviour.

attention needs to be paid to both the behaviour displayed by the model and its consequences, although as specified by bandura, learning can take place even if the learner didn't view the consequences

• Trailblazer
« Reply #893 on: October 31, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
Yeah, could someone also explain this please, because originally I thought that the study lacked in validity because the participants may have experienced performance impairment due to the experimental design of the study (repeated measures), especially on day 2 and 3. However the answers say to not only define it but state that the results are valid.

Well I doubt that performance impairment would effect results as the days the participants were required for testing were one week apart i.e. participants have plenty of time to recover. Therefore, because there were no CV's and the IV had a systematic effect on the DV, the results could be considered as valid.

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #894 on: October 31, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »

What answers are you using?
Also, I don't think that the question requires you to assess the experiment in terms of those terms, but rather just define them and put them into context. ie.
validity - refers to whether the procedure tested what the research intended to measure. eg. whether the effectiveness of the measurement of the mean number of driver errors is an accurate indicator of driver performance.
Reliability - refers to whether the results obtained are consistent and dependent over time. eg. whether other studies researched similar stuff came up with similar results, or if the procedure was repeated more times over the next couple of months would the results stay consistent...

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #895 on: October 31, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »
How would you guys describe the steps in a spinal reflext? like what key terms MUST we use??

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #896 on: October 31, 2017, 08:28:58 pm »
What answers are you using?
Also, I don't think that the question requires you to assess the experiment in terms of those terms, but rather just define them and put them into context. ie.
validity - refers to whether the procedure tested what the research intended to measure. eg. whether the effectiveness of the measurement of the mean number of driver errors is an accurate indicator of driver performance.
Reliability - refers to whether the results obtained are consistent and dependent over time. eg. whether other studies researched similar stuff came up with similar results, or if the procedure was repeated more times over the next couple of months would the results stay consistent...

Yeah see I wasn't sure if they wanted a definition or an evaluation of if it was valid/reliable or not. They did say 'explain what is meant my reliability and validity', so do they mean to do it just like you said, just simply define and link it?

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #897 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:52 pm »
Yeah see I wasn't sure if they wanted a definition or an evaluation of if it was valid/reliable or not. They did say 'explain what is meant my reliability and validity', so do they mean to do it just like you said, just simply define and link it?
Well yes that is what I would assume as that is what the question asks

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #898 on: October 31, 2017, 08:37:46 pm »
How would you guys describe the steps in a spinal reflext? like what key terms MUST we use??
I would say definitely reference the three types of neurons, what their role is, the spinal cord and depending on whether the question asks you to explain why it is unconscious, you would probably have to state that the interneurons send a message to the motor neurons to initiate the response which occurs prior to the brain receiving the message from the spinal cord (and hence the movement occurs before the sensory input is processed and hence before we are consciously aware of it).

• Trailblazer
« Reply #899 on: October 31, 2017, 08:46:54 pm »
Sorry for the multitude of questions, but...

Are circadian rhythm disorders (e.g. jet lag) considered as a parasomnia or dysomnia or neither??

cause on one of my exams I have a 10 marker asking to explain the difference between dysomnias and parasomnias w/ reference to an example and I was wondering if I could talk about jet lag and shift work etc. and if not what else I could talk about for 10 marks?