Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:55:17 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469644 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #615 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:10 pm »
+3
Hey guys a couple of questions on unit 4 AOS2:
1. how long does a mental health problem have to continue to be considered a disorder? eg. how long would grief have to go on for to be considered a mental disorder? I was thinking more than a month but yeah, im really not sure and it doesnt say in the TB

5. is stress/anxiety/grief considered mental health problems? i reckon they are cause they only last for a short period of time and are not as intense as a mental illness, but just want to clarify that they aren't considered 'mentally healthy'

6. In terms of specific phobia, 'Response is conditioned/learned and not automatic/reflexive' (taken from ATARnotes book) Isn't the response reflexive though cause its precipitated through classical conditioning?

7. my teacher said that gaba agonist means that benzo's MIMIC gaba; but i thought they just increase the effects of GABA by working on post synaptic receptors- making them more receptive?

1. No set rule, but I think 3 months is the general guide?
5. Depends on the severity and duration. Stress & grief can be definitely  perfectly healthy.
6. Classical conditioning is a form of conditioning. So the response IS conditioned/learned
7. They work on GABA receptors to have an inhibitory effect, thereby mimicking the function of GABA

peterjennings__

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #616 on: September 20, 2017, 09:28:15 am »
Hey guys,

I just had a question regarding the following passage of writing;
A psychologist wanted to test whether or not information could be consolidated while an individual was sleeping. She advertised in a local newspaper for participants aged between 18 and 20 years, and sampled 100 applicants by pulling their names out of a hat. The participants were all pre-tested for their general knowledge of geography, Participants with the same scores were paired and then allocated to one of two groups using the toss of a coin. Participants were then exposed to one of two conditions
The first condition involved participants reading a list of 50 countries when they woke up after a night’s sleep. Before going to bed the following evening, they were asked to write down the names of as many countries from the list that they could remember. The other participants were exposed to a second condition. This involved the participants reading a list of 50 cities from around the world before going to bed and then writing down as many names from the list that they could recall upon waking from sleep the next morning. 

The question asked about the sampling procedure that was used in the experiment and I thought it was convenience sampling as the experimenter visited a local newspaper for restricted ages however my teacher said it was random sampling. Could somebody please clarify 
2016: Health and Human Development (45), Physical Education  (39),
2017: Biology, Methods, Psychology, English

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #617 on: September 20, 2017, 12:22:25 pm »
I would say that it is both. Convenience because it was a local newspaper, however it was random because the names were pulled out of a hat.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #618 on: September 20, 2017, 06:09:58 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

A psychologist wanted to test whether or not information could be consolidated while an individual was sleeping. She advertised in a local newspaper for participants aged between 18 and 20 years, and sampled 100 applicants by pulling their names out of a hat. The participants were all pre-tested for their general knowledge of geography, Participants with the same scores were paired and then allocated to one of two groups using the toss of a coin. Participants were then exposed to one of two conditions
The first condition involved participants reading a list of 50 countries when they woke up after a night’s sleep. Before going to bed the following evening, they were asked to write down the names of as many countries from the list that they could remember. The other participants were exposed to a second condition. This involved the participants reading a list of 50 cities from around the world before going to bed and then writing down as many names from the list that they could recall upon waking from sleep the next morning. 

The question asked about the sampling procedure that was used in the experiment and I thought it was convenience sampling as the experimenter visited a local newspaper for restricted ages however my teacher said it was random sampling. Could somebody please clarify 

Yeah, it's an ordinary question because it's a bit of both.

Ad = convenience sampling.
Out of a hat = random sampling.

They're basically taking a random sample from a convenience sample.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #619 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

A psychologist wanted to test whether or not information could be consolidated while an individual was sleeping. She advertised in a local newspaper for participants aged between 18 and 20 years, and sampled 100 applicants by pulling their names out of a hat. 

I agree with you and not your teacher.
This is why:
The population of research interest is all individuals ("wanted to test whether or not information could be consolidated while an individual")
There is not an even chance of anyone in the population being selected, those who read the newspaper and are 18-20 years old have a distinctly higher chance of being selected.

If, however, the population of research interest was "individuals between 18 and 20 years of age who respond to newspaper advertisements for psychology research" it would be random sampling

I would speak to your teacher about this more

littledreamer

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #620 on: September 20, 2017, 08:33:10 pm »
hey guys, is anxiety a state of physiological or psychological arousal? can it be both like stress? thank you :)

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #621 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:33 pm »
hey guys, is anxiety a state of physiological or psychological arousal? can it be both like stress? thank you :)

Anxiety can be both a psychological and physiological state of arousal. For example the stress levels associated with anxiety are psychological and the physical changes to the body due to anxiety [rapid heart rate, high blood pressure] are physiological.

psychologie

• Trailblazer
« Reply #622 on: September 24, 2017, 08:55:42 pm »
Hi guys!! If someone could help me with these questions on stress i would really appreciate it
1. would you consider exercise to be a form of emotion-focused coping? i thought yes cause it assists in reducing the stress hormones in the body while also releasing feel-good endorphins. Also, is procrastination/substance use/oversleeping considered emotion focused coping? Again i think yes cause its like distraction
2. do eustress and distress have the same physiological response? if so, can they both be bad for your health then?
3. its hard to distinguish between major stress and catastrophes that disrupt entire communities (for example in Jacaranda TB it says natural disasters fall under both) so how would you distinguish the 2 and can you give examples that fall explicitly under each category?

madhu04

• Adventurer
« Reply #623 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
+2
Hi guys!! If someone could help me with these questions on stress i would really appreciate it
1. would you consider exercise to be a form of emotion-focused coping? i thought yes cause it assists in reducing the stress hormones in the body while also releasing feel-good endorphins. Also, is procrastination/substance use/oversleeping considered emotion focused coping? Again i think yes cause its like distraction
2. do eustress and distress have the same physiological response? if so, can they both be bad for your health then?
3. its hard to distinguish between major stress and catastrophes that disrupt entire communities (for example in Jacaranda TB it says natural disasters fall under both) so how would you distinguish the 2 and can you give examples that fall explicitly under each category?

Hey, my opinion towards your questions are as follows:
1) Yes, I would consider exercise as a form of emotion-focused coping. It involves distraction from the actual stressor and it also helps to deal with negative feelings associated with the stressor, again your trying to distract from the negative feelings associated with stressor, by let's say for example: going for a run. (You may also want to include the fact that exercise release endorphin that provides a sense of wellbeing and improves mood.

2) Yes both results in same physiological response because it is both activated by sympathetic NS. And probably I would say any stress that activates SNS in the long run, can result in negative effects to your health. But I doubt on whether an individual would experience eustress for a long period time.

3)Well Major stress is basically events that is intense and extreme that causes stress regardless of who experiences. ex: Robbery-usually everyone will experience distress when they lose their valuable belongings. Catastrophes are traumatic events that affects the whole community at the same time. For example if a city floods, it affects the whole community/city at the same time. I know it's confusing how the Jacaranda TB states that natural disaster falls under both but I think all it's trying to say is anyone who experience a natural disaster will experience stress hence it is a major stress and usually a natural disaster affects a whole community rather than a single person hence it is a catastrophe.

-I hope I have cleared your doubts
Have a good night :)

psychologie

• Trailblazer
« Reply #624 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:16 am »
1. weird question haha...but why are genitals excited during SNS activation? I thought sexual drive should be suppressed since its not immediately essential to survival (or is it like, its an evolutionary thing where people are trying to 'mate' perhaps)
2. monosynaptic reflex arc only involves sensory and motor neurons, so spinal cord is not involved right??
3. would you say the soma initiates action potential rather than the dendrites? cause the soma decides whether or not the neuron will fire
4. when referring to neural impulse, they mean the electrical AND chemical components right? or just electrical?
5. so parkinsons is caused by NOT ENOUGH dopamine being produced, and/or too much GABA? (GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and dopamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter)

Atlantis

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #625 on: September 25, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
+3
3. would you say the soma initiates action potential rather than the dendrites? cause the soma decides whether or not the neuron will fire
4. when referring to neural impulse, they mean the electrical AND chemical components right? or just electrical?
5. so parkinsons is caused by NOT ENOUGH dopamine being produced, and/or too much GABA? (GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and dopamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter)

3. When looking at the study design, it explicitly says that details of signal transduction are not required so I would not worry about what initiates a response, focus on what receives and transmits (both are words used in the SD) an electrical impulse - which is effectively the dendrites and the axon/myelin.

4. Yeah I would think they are referring to both electrical and chemical components (action potentials and chemicals responsible for initiating that electrical impulse - neurohormones and neurotransmitters)

5. Yes for the first part, as when a person has Parkinsons it means they have lost many of the cells responsible for producing Dopamine. For the second part it's actually a deficit in GABA that plays a role in Parkinsons, as GABA decreases muscle movement and there's a link to it and patients with Parkinsons (they experience symptoms such as muscle tremors and dystonia.) It's important to know that research tells us the cells producing both Dopamine and GABA are in the midbrain (so both are likely effected).
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
― Plutarch

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #626 on: September 25, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
hey,
I was just wondering, what methods of selection to we need to know for the exam?  Like which ones are listed on the study design, because on the study design, it says experiments, self re[ports, questionnaires ans interviews. But my book doesn't state all these [my book states case studies, observational studies]???

I'm stuck can someone help me? And also are experiments and case studies the same thing?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2017, 06:32:32 am »
+1

hey,
I was just wondering, what methods of selection to we need to know for the exam?  Like which ones are listed on the study design, because on the study design, it says experiments, self re[ports, questionnaires ans interviews. But my book doesn't state all these [my book states case studies, observational studies]???

I'm stuck can someone help me? And also are experiments and case studies the same thing?

They are methods of DATA COLLECTION and yes, you do need to know them. If you have the jacaranda book the sleep section has useful information on them.

No experiments and case studies are not the same. In an experiment, an IV is manipulated to investigate the impact on the DV.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #628 on: September 26, 2017, 07:58:23 am »
Which company practice papers do you think are good or worth getting for this psych study design? My school didn't give us any.
Which ones were u guys given and are they worth getting?

Also, how are u guys going about studying for the psych exam, I started doing some checkpoints because not sure how to approach the new study design.

dsabeta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #629 on: September 26, 2017, 04:45:52 pm »
+1
Which company practice papers do you think are good or worth getting for this psych study design? My school didn't give us any.
Which ones were u guys given and are they worth getting?

Also, how are u guys going about studying for the psych exam, I started doing some checkpoints because not sure how to approach the new study design.

Hi!
I recently bought the TSSM sample exam for Unit 3&4 which is only for students (https://www.tssm.com.au/browse-resourceitem-details/psychology-trial-examination-paper-units-3-4-one-paper-905.aspx) , you can also get an exam that is for Unit 3 :-)
My school gave us the VCAA 2017 sample exam and the NEAP exam, however I also found another one for Unit 3 online (http://www.epsychvce.com/unit-3-trial-exam-2017-free.html).
Hope this helps!
2017: Psychology |
2018: English | BusMan | Legal | HHD |  Revolutions |
2019: Bachelor of Law/Criminology @ LaTrobe