Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:50 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469815 times)  Share 

maylovesgelati

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2016, 08:56:44 am »
His reasoning for deducting the marks was that one of the studies in our textbook (Glanzer & Cunitz, 1966) involved participants recalling a list of 15 words (which was the same as the case study in the SAC) showed both the primacy and recency effect occurring at equal amounts. So, in this particular study, recall was better for items at both the beginning and the end of the list. However, when first introducing the serial position effect, the textbook says "The serial position effect is a finding that free recall is better for items at the end and beginning of the list than for items in the middle of the list. More specifically, the recall of items tends to be best for items at the end, and then the beginning, and worst for items around the middle... Experiments testing the serial position effect with different kinds of information, such as numbers or even sketches of objects, have consistently found a similar U-shaped curve with a strong recency effect". I showed him this and he justified it by saying this was only done on different information such as sketches and numbers and wouldn't be the case with a list of words.

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2016, 10:49:08 pm »
+1
Yeah I think you're in the right - for the serial position effect, it goes recency, primacy and then the middle words (assuming testing occurred immediately).

I primarily used the Grivas textbook last year, however I also used the Oxford text, and after going back over them just now, I can confirm that the recency effect is more evident than the primacy :)

The question itself is quite poor and misleading - and I suppose you could have said in brackets that the primacy effect would also be evident, but not to the same extent as the recency; but I still think you deserve some marks for your answer, if he won't give you full marks.
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:01 pm »
+1
Yeah recency effect declares that words at the end of the list is to have higher percentage recall because items in short term memory are more effectively retrieved that stuff in LTM. It's logic really, but you could psychologisise it if you want.
I'd give it another go explaining it to your teacher. You can just google "serial position effect curve" and it should come up. Also, look back to the wording of the question/context. Are you absolutely sure that the teacher didn't indicate the glanzer and cunitz (1966) research specifically?
I wouldn't pursue it to much coz u dont wanna get on the bad side of ur teacher in psych. Too many questions where they can be picky. It's only 2 marks so I'd swallow it
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »
Outline the difference between a person perceiving a situation as a harm as
opposed to a challenge
relates to Lazarus' transactional model - any help would be appreciated! thanks guys :)
Uni and life

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2016, 08:56:30 pm »
Outline the difference between a person perceiving a situation as a harm as
opposed to a challenge
relates to Lazarus' transactional model - any help would be appreciated! thanks guys :)
So the primary appraisal of the model is to assess and evaluate the scenario. The secondary appraisal is to assess ways to tackle/the resources that can be used to make the scenario less stressful.

The strength of the model is that it promotes growth through adversaries. So the primary appraisal allows people to assess the situation properly, with followup primary appraisals needed until the person properly grasps the magnitude of the situation. The secondary appraisal looks at this challenge/ stressor and is like "what can i do to remove this fam". There are specific subsections but i think they go something along the biopsychosocial framework -- can someone fill in the gaps here?

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2016, 09:00:16 pm »
-snip-
thanks for your input- but finding the words to formulate an answer is proving annoying- did you cover AoS 2 for unit 4 already ? my class skipped aos 1 , half way through aos 2, and then going back to aos 1- reckon this is common? :p
Uni and life

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2016, 09:05:51 pm »
thanks for your input- but finding the words to formulate an answer is proving annoying- did you cover AoS 2 for unit 4 already ? my class skipped aos 1 , half way through aos 2, and then going back to aos 1- reckon this is common? :p
yeah i think so my class is doing same thing coz they dont wanna end the term on something that's irrelevant to the exam.
yeah the words are annoying :(

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2016, 09:17:09 pm »
yeah i think so my class is doing same thing coz they dont wanna end the term on something that's irrelevant to the exam.
yeah the words are annoying :(
hmm fair enough, i swear pysch is such a clusterfuck sometimes when it comes to its specificity with words that shouldn't have too much differences in their semantics haha (if this made sense, i swear psych annoys me sometimes)
RIP when section c average is like 3/10 on some questions hahahaha, and like 1% get 10
Uni and life

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:22 pm »
hmm fair enough, i swear pysch is such a clusterfuck sometimes when it comes to its specificity with words that shouldn't have too much differences in their semantics haha (if this made sense, i swear psych annoys me sometimes)
RIP when section c average is like 3/10 on some questions hahahaha, and like 1% get 10
lmao yea, tbh not focusing on psych at all this year just doing the subject outta enjoyment. Probs at end of year Ima crack down on those marking scheme and really absorb the wordings of answers, coz the content is pretty easy tbh its just the wording that trips ppl up

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »
has anyone started their unit 4 sac yet for psychology? its the sac where you have to do a folio work?

breazly

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2016, 11:52:02 am »
has anyone started their unit 4 sac yet for psychology? its the sac where you have to do a folio work?

Yes my school has. We were told that we get to bring the worksheets into the sac.

minerva

• Trailblazer
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2016, 09:54:08 pm »
Hey, guys. Need help with a couple of questions:
1. What are some symptoms of partial sleep deprivation?
2. If an experiment advertises their study in the local newspaper, have they used convenience sampling?
3. When can a conclusion be drawn from a study?
Thanks in advance :)
2016: Further | Psychology
2017: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2016, 10:30:55 pm »
2. If an experiment advertises their study in the local newspaper, have they used convenience sampling?
Partial sleep dep: Problems with concentration, hand tremors, problems with higher order thinking and problems with simple tasks. (I think hand tremors is total sleep deprivation tbh)
2. yes it is convenience sampling

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2016, 04:03:21 pm »

3. If the p value is statistically significant and the sample is representative of the population from which it was drawn from
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

maylovesgelati

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2016, 07:22:03 pm »
Yeah recency effect declares that words at the end of the list is to have higher percentage recall because items in short term memory are more effectively retrieved that stuff in LTM. It's logic really, but you could psychologisise it if you want.
I'd give it another go explaining it to your teacher. You can just google "serial position effect curve" and it should come up. Also, look back to the wording of the question/context. Are you absolutely sure that the teacher didn't indicate the glanzer and cunitz (1966) research specifically?
I wouldn't pursue it to much coz u dont wanna get on the bad side of ur teacher in psych. Too many questions where they can be picky. It's only 2 marks so I'd swallow it

Sorry for taking like a whole month to respond. I'm pretty new to ATAR notes and apparently I didn't know how to view the replies properly so I assumed no-one had responded :') I talked to him about it a few times but in the end I just decided to let it go and move on. But, the reason I spent so much time on it was also so that I would be able to answer it properly on an exam. Thanks for clearing it up :)