Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:14 pm

Author Topic: Should I drop Extension 1 Maths?  (Read 1859 times)  Share 

etranger101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop Extension 1 Maths?
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:02:47 pm »
Hi AtarNotes,
I had trials and I did not feel good about what happened in the exam room, I hate my teacher and the people in my class, however I like what I learn but sometimes I find it challenging and the thought of having to do an HSC exam on Ext1 maths scares me. I also have been really stressed due to family issues, so what should I do?

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Should I drop Extension 1 Maths?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:35:25 pm »
Hi AtarNotes,
I had trials and I did not feel good about what happened in the exam room, I hate my teacher and the people in my class, however I like what I learn but sometimes I find it challenging and the thought of having to do an HSC exam on Ext1 maths scares me. I also have been really stressed due to family issues, so what should I do?

It's alright to be a bit scared of it. I mean it is Ext 1 Maths after all so most people will be scared about having to do the final HSC exam. Wait for your marks and then judge if you should drop it or not. Also trial marks aren't always the best indicator of how you will perform in the HSC.

At the end of the day it's up to you to decide whether the effort is worth the end result.

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: Should I drop Extension 1 Maths?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:36 am »
Hi AtarNotes,

Hi there!

Definitely don't take my advice as final, and make sure you speak to your teacher about it.
.. but after completing my mathematics HSC last year (accelerated) I decided to drop Ext 1 maths.

I didn't really like the subject, and found it so confusing that I was mostly spending my time after school just trying to work out what on earth we were doing in class. I thought of it this way; would my other subjects benefit if I dropped Ext 1?? Would I have any regrets IF I dropped Ext 1?? and Would I be happier without it??

Once if figured those things out, I decided that it would be more worthwhile for me to put my time and effort into subjects I enjoyed and could potentially get better marks in, rather than try to slog it out with Ext 1.

However, I also did spend time going over my options and speaking to a teacher about it. If you don't like your maths teacher, maybe you could speak to any course advisors/directors of studies at your school, and if you can, speak to your family. It is well worth giving up a bit of time and thinking it over before you make a final decision.

Good luck! ;D