Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:03 am

Author Topic: impact of stress on mental health  (Read 1478 times)  Share 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
impact of stress on mental health
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:06:28 pm »
How can stress contribute to the development of a mental health disorder?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: impact of stress on mental health
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:13:46 pm »
+3
What are your predictions/thoughts about this based on what you've learnt about stress and mental health? 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »
What are your predictions/thoughts about this based on what you've learnt about stress and mental health?
you tell me

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:14 pm »
+7
you tell me

I'm asking because your learning will be more effective if I can help you build on the connections and knowledge you already have rather than me just throwing knowledge at you.

If you think about the types of mental health disorders which you investigate, biopsychosocial risk factors, and the long term impacts of stress it is very likely that you will be able to find some connections.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:54 pm »
+5
you tell me
not everyone is gonna just gonna spoon feed you the answers. It's important to outline your own thoughts and a possible answer you would give first which will allow users to give you a more detailed and personal response along with the ability to critique any misunderstandings that you have.

Zaljc

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »
+1
I’m pretty sure with stress (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) is that it’s a precipitating risk factor. It contributes to the occurrence of a mental disorder, by influencing us to believe that we do not have the resources to cope to everyday stressors. It can then contribute to the occurrence of mental phobias. For example, if we see a spider, it can initiate the flight-fight-freeze response (a stress response) and thus we have a vivid memory of that stimuli and henceforth implement avoidance strategies.

Moreover, stress entails psychological and physiological arousal. Our body is therefore not in homeostasis, and in the long run, can contribute to heart diseases and high blood pressure (release of glucose).

Oh yeah, and also remember sometimes stress can be good! When we experience Eustress, that can contribute to a better mental health as we are able to function at potentially our optimum peak via adrenaline, increased glucose etc.

Mod edit: merged double post.  In future,  if you have extra information to add please edit your original post rather than posting twice in a row
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:46:36 pm by miniturtle »
2017- Biology

2018- Chemistry, English, Methods, Physics & Business Managment

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:59:30 pm »
I’m pretty sure with stress (anyone correct me if I’m wrong) is that it’s a precipitating risk factor. It contributes to the occurrence of a mental disorder, by influencing us to believe that we do not have the resources to cope to everyday stressors. It can then contribute to the occurrence of mental phobias. For example, if we see a spider, it can initiate the flight-fight-freeze response (a stress response) and thus we have a vivid memory of that stimuli and henceforth implement avoidance strategies.

Moreover, stress entails psychological and physiological arousal. Our body is therefore not in homeostasis, and in the long run, can contribute to heart diseases and high blood pressure (release of glucose).
thanks a lot for your help

Oh yeah, and also remember sometimes stress can be good! When we experience Eustress, that can contribute to a better mental health as we are able to function at potentially our optimum peak via adrenaline, increased glucose etc.

Mod edit: merged double post.  In future,  if you have extra information to add please edit your original post rather than posting twice in a row