National Education > General National Education Discussion

Study Hours

(1/4) > >>

Zaljc:
Hey guys!

I was wondering what other people’s study timetable was like? Like how many hours do people put after school (e.g. 5 hours with 15mins break) and during weekends and when to decide what subject to study for.

Also it would help if past students who achieved an astonishing 90+ ATAR replied or people who did year 12 subjects last year. I’m just having a hard time deciding when to study, how long and how many days to take off every week without feeling guilty.

Cheers, Zoe

Poet:
Hi Zoe!

I'm not out of the woods of year 12 yet (dang), but my older sister got a 95 ATAR, and she followed the same schedule as I am:

About 4 to 6 hours of study a night, depending on the amount of work needed to be done / study you're comfortable with (this includes short food/coffee breaks haha). I get home at 4, rest until maybe 4:30, then get stuck into it. I take about an hour-long break between dinner and my later studying. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep is vital, so I go to bed at 10:30 and wake up at 6:30, although I'm not very good at going to sleep on time, nor waking up on time, especially on the weekends! :P
I work two nights a week, so I leave time for that (5 hours), and I give myself the mornings on the weekends to just relax if I'm not stressed for time, because I suck at studying in the mornings. Follow your own peaks and lows, find the best time for you to study.

Just a side-note, it's important to socialize as well. Plan your meetings and study steadily, but don't burn yourself out studying more than you're comfortable with. Hold a schedule you feel is right for you, and don't feel guilty if you need a break. We're humans, we need rest!

Good luck!  :)
Poet

The Special One:
I got an ATAR high d life to do Law ( and commerce at the time)  at Monash.

Everyone has different workrates and stamina so it's hard to say exactly how much people should be studying.

You have so many variables like  memory  retention rate. It's why  educators usually only give us a minimum stufy hours per week.

A lot  depends  on whether or not your working or how much time you spend on your social life because that leaves  tess time to study without burning out.

Just try and find that balance and study at a level which gives you high marks in all your sacs and average that out over the year so you have some solid numbers.

brenden:
Study until you have confidence in your understanding of the topic in a timely enough fashion for SACs, then move on.

I think 4 hours is appropriate. I had 5 hours of classes at school. That's 9 hours a day, which is about a full-time job. Seems reasonable. I'd go 45 on 15 off, with your most intense focus dedicated to those 45 minute blocks, and pay attention in class. Get a shit load of sleep so you can focus properly when you need to. Spend your recreation time usefully. (Go for a walk or play a boardgame or something. Computers make time go by so much quicker, it's like you get no rec rime at all).

I scored above 90, and if I wanted to go back and improve my score, I'd do better in class, spend less minutes on work outside of class, but make the time that I do spend out of class better spent.

zhen:
I’d say that 3 to 4 hours is a reasonable starting point for anyone. I’d like to add that you want to have a combination of quantity and quality to your studying. For example, doing 6 hours of studying while watching a tv show in the background and constantly checking social media will probably be extremely unproductive. Contrastingly, doing 30 minutes of studying a night probably isn’t enough no matter how efficient someone is. So, maybe also try to track how efficient you are and how much work you completed, rather than just the hours spent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version