Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:18 am

Author Topic: removed  (Read 2070 times)  Share 

pm_me_ur_eggs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
removed
« on: January 25, 2020, 12:46:14 am »
removed
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:26:04 pm by pm_me_ur_eggs »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Feeling suicidal and hopeless due to unfair English circumstances
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:00 am »
+6
Hey,

First of all I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like English is a very significant stressor for you and that your anxieties around it are really hard to cope with.  My advice here is going to be two-fold: Firstly - and most importantly - it's best if you can work on things to improve your wellbeing, secondly  I'll talk about VCE English and the role that has.

I'm not going to tell you should have a positive attitude towards English or that you shouldn't care about failing year 12 - it makes sense for those things to matter to you and for you to have strong feelings about them. However, in your current mental state you have amplified these concerns to be equivalent to your life when your life is so much more valuable than this. Having a mental state like that is hard & draining & I wouldn't wish it on anyone so I hope that you please seek help. You can do things to promote protective factors for wellbeing like getting enough sleep & having a healthy diet but as I'm sure you known it's not exactly *eats 1 carrot* "wow thanks I'm cured". That's why I hope you reach out to other people who can help support you through this. Ideally, that would include a professional (which you may or may not be already seeing). It's also important to maintain other social connections and supports. I'm hardly a professional but feel free to pm me anytime & I'll listen and answer as best as I can.

Now, onto English. To pass English you don't need to do well you just need to show evidence to your teacher of meeting the learning outcomes. This is the case whether or not you're doing unscored. What you can do to provide evidence of meting the outcomes should be a discussion you have with your teacher if you are concerned this won't be evident in your SACs. Getting less than 25 isn't ideal but it doesn't mean you've failed.  I have a friend who wrote 1 sentence on their English exam & got a study score of 3 in English. Good study score? No. Did they pass? Yes.  Did they get an ATAR? Yes (this was a few years ago so I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was >50). Point is,  you don't have to do well to pass. If English is going to be that distressing for you maybe focusing on passing rather than getting a good score will take some of the pressure off.

Best of luck & I hope the difficulties you're facing ease up soon.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
+5
Hey,

I can really relate to the stressors of school and we are all here for you - if it all gets a little too much remember you can contact eHeadspace where you can talk with a clinician over the internet, they also have some awesome little blog posts as well like this one
ReachOut is another fantastic site with a whole section related to school which can be found here

In regards to Audio Engineering, Collarts has a "Bachelor of Audio Engineering' but after 2 trimesters you get a diploma. Many students actually drop out (so they got a 'tafe' certificate from a uni) after they have the diploma as the particular field doesn't need a specific certificate as its more about the experience so that's definitely something you could consider!

I wish you all the best and feel free to message me if you need to talk
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 06:07:14 am »
+5
Hey,
I didn’t do any of my holiday homework for English and just about didn’t do any work outside of class for it the entire year because even thinking about English made me so anxious I just avoided thinking about it at all and I still got over 25. I failed some of my sacs and my average for them was somewhere around 50%. You don’t actually need to pass sacs to pass the units, you can demonstrate understanding in other ways (although I was never asked to do anything else when I failed my sacs).

Just do as much as you can for it, your teacher will talk to you if you’re at risk of failing and if that happens then you can deal with it then, at least if you try and stick with it you’ll have a chance of passing.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:34:30 am »
I don't have any more strength to go through one more year of English. No motivation, just pure hatred. Book I was supposed to read during holidays? Haven't touched it. Questions I was supposed to answer? Haven't done them. Creative response draft I was supposed to write? Haven't even started. I seriously do not want to do English anymore. 1 week from now I'll walk into the school and fail the first SAC, then it'll be all over. (IIRC, they kick you out if you fail one outcome or unit or something.)

At this point all you can say to me is, "Well just drop out then if it bothers you so much". What makes this even more frustrating is that I still want to graduate and experience this final year with all my peers (I don't have any friends outside of school, but I'm well acquainted with my year level). This is the main reason I'm not dropping out now, even though I could. I've been thinking for the past couple days, and I've decided to either: (a) drop out naturally (failing SACs) or (b) somehow push through with minimum 25 study score.

Jesus f****** Christ VCE is so retarded
Hey,

I know plenty of students who didn't read the English books AT ALL and still did ok, while it isn't recommended its doable. If you're struggling to pick up the book set yourself mini goals (like read 10 pages a night) where you reward yourself every time you reach a mini-goal - I attempted to do this with the reward being fantales... I ate them all before I read half the book, BUT if you have self-control it might help you! You definitely shouldn't stress yourself over English (although easier said than done) and do what you can, and don't compare yourself to others, but most importantly enjoy your final year
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP