Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:17 am

Author Topic: How do I make sure I know every dot point of the study design  (Read 1151 times)  Share 

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
How do I make sure I know every dot point of the study design
« on: January 25, 2020, 12:50:01 pm »
Ok guys I’ve been posting heaps lately cause year 11 is coming closer...

My question is is how do I make sure I know the dot points of the study design use bio for example
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How do I make sure I know every dot point of the study design
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:27:03 pm »
+4
Honestly, biology is probably the one subject where you can't be 100% sure that you know everything. I doubt it is even possible for everyone to learn absolutely everything - the study design is broad enough for VCAA to include things that teachers, textbooks don't teach.

It is still a really good guide - but becomes easier to understand what they want you to know once you have actually learnt the content rather than before.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 01:38:42 pm »
+3
Ok guys I’ve been posting heaps lately cause year 11 is coming closer...

My question is is how do I make sure I know the dot points of the study design use bio for example
The textbook / your school's Powerpoints / other resources are usually grouped into dotpoints. :)

For example, the Jacaranda Biology 1 book has the dotpoints a chapter covers at the beginning of it, like this:

Beaten by Sine but I'll leave this up here :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:57:41 pm »
+4
I didn't do biology, but for psychology, I printed off each dot point and wrote notes around it for each key word in the dot point. Then every area of study, I would summarise all of that information and condense it down to one page of very brief notes around the dot points for that AOS (I would basically just annotate around the dot points - pictures, highlighting, arrows, whatever helped).

I made these as I went throughout the year and then continuously went back to them, added more information if it was missing things, took away information that I knew easily or that had been mentioned in a previous page of annotations, condensed it down further when I had a better understanding of the topic etc. By the end of the year, come exam times, I had the entire year worth of content down to about 3 pages and I had rewritten it so many times that even if I didn't know the answer to a question in the exam, I knew what the dot point it was referring to and could think of what I had written around that dot point. It helped to revise, solidify my knowledge, and keep track of everything I needed to know - there were a couple of gaps in my knowledge that I had to chase after, and lucky I checked because one of them happened to come up in the exam :) After condensing it down, I used key words to make remembering it easier (it did help that in psychology we literally learned about memory, so I had a few recall and recognition tactics to use haha)

It's a lot of work, but for me it paid off. I wish I had of done it for some of my other subjects :)

I doubt it is even possible for everyone to learn absolutely everything - the study design is broad enough for VCAA to include things that teachers, textbooks don't teach.

I do also agree with Sine, though! You're not going to be tested on every aspect of the study design, it's just there to show all the points you might be tested on. So as I said, learn everything you can, but keep annotations brief. Use it more as a tool to keep track of everything you need to understand (and a key difference here is understanding, not knowing - try to understand what the information means in the bigger picture, rather than just learning pointless little facts) versus everything you do understand. I found it was also really useful to see how well I understood it, as some dot points I wrote would have big sections of solid notes and others would have small, two or three worded explanations - if you need a paragraph to explain it, then you don't really understand it!

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:45 pm »
I didn't do biology, but for psychology, I printed off each dot point and wrote notes around it for each key word in the dot point. Then every area of study, I would summarise all of that information and condense it down to one page of very brief notes around the dot points for that AOS (I would basically just annotate around the dot points - pictures, highlighting, arrows, whatever helped).

I made these as I went throughout the year and then continuously went back to them, added more information if it was missing things, took away information that I knew easily or that had been mentioned in a previous page of annotations, condensed it down further when I had a better understanding of the topic etc. By the end of the year, come exam times, I had the entire year worth of content down to about 3 pages and I had rewritten it so many times that even if I didn't know the answer to a question in the exam, I knew what the dot point it was referring to and could think of what I had written around that dot point. It helped to revise, solidify my knowledge, and keep track of everything I needed to know - there were a couple of gaps in my knowledge that I had to chase after, and lucky I checked because one of them happened to come up in the exam :) After condensing it down, I used key words to make remembering it easier (it did help that in psychology we literally learned about memory, so I had a few recall and recognition tactics to use haha)

It's a lot of work, but for me it paid off. I wish I had of done it for some of my other subjects :)

I do also agree with Sine, though! You're not going to be tested on every aspect of the study design, it's just there to show all the points you might be tested on. So as I said, learn everything you can, but keep annotations brief. Use it more as a tool to keep track of everything you need to understand (and a key difference here is understanding, not knowing - try to understand what the information means in the bigger picture, rather than just learning pointless little facts) versus everything you do understand. I found it was also really useful to see how well I understood it, as some dot points I wrote would have big sections of solid notes and others would have small, two or three worded explanations - if you need a paragraph to explain it, then you don't really understand it!

Thank for your answer, but how am I suppose to l ow fi annotations are good enough for sac preparation cause my aim is 80* on all my sacs that’s why I need very helpful tips and information... need answer for this

If anyone else knows feel free to answer
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:56:38 pm »
+4
Thank for your answer, but how am I suppose to l ow fi annotations are good enough for sac preparation cause my aim is 80* on all my sacs that’s why I need very helpful tips and information... need answer for this

Hey!!
Your textbook chapters should align with sections of dot points so for biology there is a handful of dot points on the plasma membrane so you go to your textbook and you look at the section on plasma membranes when you should be able to discern what each dot point relates to. also phoenixxfire has basically written down what each dot point means here! HOW AWESOME! If you are struggling to figure out what a dot point means ask your teacher or us here!! My biggest advice would be to print out the study design and go through each dot point one by one and figure out what they mean so that making notes 'under the study design dot points' is 1000x easier!

The English study design tells you the skills you need to show and this link here shows the marking rubric for the exam

The french study design  is very wishy-washy, like all languges, as there isnt level of fluency you have to get to, you just have to become as fluent as possible in hope of being fluent enough

The Maths Study Design tells you exactly what you need to know, similar to sciences which is SUPER helpful when creating your bound reference. Make sure you look at the further maths and the right units as all the maths is in the one study design

Heres the Chemisty study design which tells you EXACTLY want u need to know and heres the biology study design

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:19:56 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:37 pm »
+4

I understand what you mean :) it was something I had to figure out as I went along, personally.

One way that I navigated this, was taking on board what the teacher was telling me. I had a great teacher for psychology, and she always made sure that her class had been taught all the necessary information to be tested on. Of course, I know that not everyone gets the best teacher. And I also understand that not everything taught is always relevant! Or you might miss a class, or just zone out to what the teacher is saying for a few minutes and miss something important.

I struggled because I wanted to make sure I knew everything I needed to, but I also didn't want to learn anything that I didn't need to know. I know this sounds a bit silly, but I simply took everything the study design said to its fullest.

For example, I had a look at the biology study design and I've taken a dot point. I don't know any of the answers, but I will list the information that could be relevant from it.

"The distinction between photosynthetic autotrophs, chemosynthetic autotrophs and heterotrophs"

From this, I need to write notes on:
-what does the "troph/autotroph" aspect mean, as it clearly links the three main things together?
-what are autotrophs? (you will likely need to go into more information here, i.e. function, key facts, etc.)
-what are chemosynthetic autotrophs? (Same as bracket above)
-what are heterotrophs? (Same as bracket above)
-what is "distinctive" about each of the above? List 1-3 things that make each different from the other
-list 1-3 things that are similar, as this will also help your understanding.
-how do they interact with one another? As in, what roles do they each play within the environment? How are these the same? How are these different?
Also, if you can, turn the whole dot point into a question and use the information you have written around it to answer it. Using the same dot point as above: What is the distinction between photosynthetic autotrophs, chemosynthetic autotrophs and heterotrophs?
Honestly, just pick each word out, getting rid of thing like "the" or "and", and ask yourself some questions, write down what you find out and then as you go along, you can come back and put down more.

The most important thing is being able to look at the dot point and understand what it wants from you. If you can identify and sprout of information about the key words in the dot point and confidently answer what it means and how it all fits together with the rest of the topic, linking it to other dot points, then you know you have understood it, and therefore, it should be good enough SAC preparation.

Keep in mind, you will likely have practice SACs! If you score below what you were expecting on practice SACs, then you know you need to revisit your notes and you can deduce that you either didn't retain the information, you have gaps in your knowledge/understanding, something else, or a combination. When that happens, you still have time before your SAC to figure that out and rectify it! It's so much easier to figure out where you went wrong in a practice SAC if you literally have all your notes condensed down to a page!

And again, understanding is better than knowing! It's unlikely that you'll be able to know absolutely everything that they list on the study design, but if you understand how the points under the AOS's interact, you don't need to know every point as you should be able to make an educated guess.