Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:50:31 pm

Author Topic: [offtopic from UoM General Chat] discussion on racism  (Read 2707 times)  Share 

Chrissyy

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: University of Melboure
[offtopic from UoM General Chat] discussion on racism
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
+2
Racism IMO is never acceptable in any form. I almost got up and left after Sheila Jeffrey's in Sexual Politics referred to Chaz Bono as a woman and called genital reassignment surgery a 'violation of human rights'. I feel like reporting her to the Queer Dept. I can't imagine they'll be able to do much, though, she is esteemed world wide in the radfem community for her transphobia so this is nothing new and something I thought might happen when I enrolled to the subject. Thankfully we've moved on from bashing trans*people!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:34:20 pm by ninwa »

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:55:29 pm »
I think the issue with saying that 'all racism is bad' is that it simply becomes a definitional thing. With every counter-example, one then changes the definition of racism until it becomes unrecognisable when looking back at the original definition (yay categorical imperatives!).

Also, taking a hit at an academic for a political view which you don't approve of is unethical, I would say. The freedom for academic pursuit is not one which should be taken away lightly, especially when the issue at stake is far from settled. There should be room for disagreement.

Chrissyy

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »
+2
I think the issue with saying that 'all racism is bad' is that it simply becomes a definitional thing. With every counter-example, one then changes the definition of racism until it becomes unrecognisable when looking back at the original definition (yay categorical imperatives!).

Also, taking a hit at an academic for a political view which you don't approve of is unethical, I would say. The freedom for academic pursuit is not one which should be taken away lightly, especially when the issue at stake is far from settled. There should be room for disagreement.

This is ridiculous. To demonize anyone for the purposes of 'waking the class up' or in the name of humour is never okay regardless of context. The feelings of potential students in the setting of a classroom should never be lumped into the category of 'political view'. We live in a world where the lives of minorities are already unsafe enough - the least we can do is foster a safe environment in an academic space.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
This is ridiculous. To demonize anyone for the purposes of 'waking the class up' or in the name of humour is never okay regardless of context. The feelings of potential students in the setting of a classroom should never be lumped into the category of 'political view'. We live in a world where the lives of minorities are already unsafe enough - the least we can do is foster a safe environment in an academic space.
Sorry, that was about Jeffreys. Not the other lecturer.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »
+2

Lol at claiming Asians are a minority at UoM.

Chrissyy

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
August 10, 2013, 03:24:22 pm - Hidden.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »
Really? I'd be quite interested if you could point out in what form exactly institutional racism exists in Australia. :)

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »
Cbf making a thoughtful post on the matter but harden up, racist jokes are funny.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 07:30:32 pm »
Really? I'd be quite interested if you could point out in what form exactly institutional racism exists in Australia. :)

OMG Australia's Next Top Model although it's not an institution but rather an INDUSTRY.
<3
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »
+3
Cbf making a thoughtful post on the matter but harden up, racist jokes are funny.

Are you serious?
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 07:34:59 pm »
OMG Australia's Next Top Model although it's not an institution but rather an INDUSTRY.
<3

Dunno if that's necessarily racism. 92% of Australia white.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 07:36:50 pm »
Are you serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YJAs6Cv9I

100% serious, if it were up to me, there would be more racist jokes.

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 07:57:38 pm »
+4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YJAs6Cv9I

100% serious, if it were up to me, there would be more racist jokes.

I guess that's your personal opinion.

But to ask someone to not take offence to something that they personally find offensive, because it represents them as a person in who they are, and just "harden up, racist jokes are funny" is likely to be mocking them and is silly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:48:09 pm by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
I guess that's your personal opinion.

But to ask someone to not take offence to something that they personally find offensive, because it represents them as a person in who they are, and just instead "harden up, racist jokes are funny" is likely to be mocking them and is silly.

I disagree. It is Australian culture to amiably poke fun at our differences through racist jokes. Whilst I am in Australia, I believe I ought to have a right to my culture. If I should go to France, I have no right to tell them that they ought to start speaking English like the rest of Europe, the French people have a right to determine how things will be in France and if they choose to be difficult and keep speaking only French, so be it.

When they come to Australia, I will make fun of them for eating croissants, they can make fun of me for having a lack of culture and we can all be friends.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
It was South African culture to segregate and stuff like that. "All goods, don't change, it's their culture, they have a right to it"
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️