Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:09:33 am

Author Topic: Further or chemistry 1/2?  (Read 915 times)  Share 

Fly_Guy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Further or chemistry 1/2?
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:51:12 pm »
I’m having trouble choosing between further and chemistry 1/2. I’m in year 10 doing methods 1/2 and general 1/2. If I weren’t to drop general maths, in year 12 I would only have to focus on 4 subjects, but further maths is unbearably boring, especially the biraviate and univariate Data part and isn’t important at all, plus I would be doing 3 maths subjects which isn’t good imo since one has to go towards my bottom 2. If I were to change it to chem however, I worry that my workload would be too high since I’ve heard chemistry is very hard, plus I’m already doing methods, spesh, and physics.

__nopolicy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Further or chemistry 1/2?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:26 pm »
generally speaking it's probably better to pick things you're motivated to perform in- there's no point picking further for easiness if you have zero interest in it and then end up scoring poorly in it anyway. issue with further too is it requires a fair amount amount of concentration because small slip-ups can cause you grief

i'm only taking 1/2 chem right now so i can't tell you about 3/4 chem's difficulty, but 1/2 is not impossibly difficult, personally i'd say so long as you study you can do well in it but i know a lot of people in our school struggling with the subject

somebody else could weigh in here with regard to 3/4 chem though?

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:53:42 pm »
Hi I'm doing 3/4 chemistry this year. The content is not too hard (although that is subjective) and the workload is much less than methods, so I'd suggest choosing in terms of prerequisites and interests. Also, physics and chemistry complement each other in certain areas which is nice.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 08:04:29 pm »
Hi there! I think the difficulty of chemistry is definitely subjective, however if you're doing well in physics then you probably won't struggle too much in chem. While I don't do physics personally, I've heard that the two goes well hand-in-hand with each other.

I don't think data analysis is unimportant, further is probably the most useful maths from the perspective of subjects that's applicable to everyday life, IMO.

What uni courses are you aiming for? It's good to check your prereqs before making your decision. Chemistry is often a prereq for science-related courses. Further is a prereq for courses that are more business-related but it is also a less commonly seen prerequisite. And considering you already to methods and spesh further wouldn't be necessary prereq-wise.

So my suggestion is to 1) check university prerequisites. 2) think of your strengths, weaknesses, and interests.

Good luck with your subject selections! :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:04:17 pm »
Choose what you're the most interested in! I would recommend chemistry but perhaps look at the prerequisites too :)