Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:23 am

Author Topic: What do 'Private, Publc and Imaginary Worlds' mean?  (Read 4912 times)  Share 

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
What do 'Private, Publc and Imaginary Worlds' mean?
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:12:47 pm »
From the literary worlds module. I've heard many definitions and I'm not sure which is correct.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: What do 'Private, Publc and Imaginary Worlds' mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:29:23 pm »
+2
From the literary worlds module. I've heard many definitions and I'm not sure which is correct.

Hey, BakerDad12!

I broke down the rubric for Literary Worlds in this post here and provided definitions, as well as some prompting questions, for them. How I would say that private worlds are spaces that belong specifically to one person and can only be accessed by themselves and those they are close to and public worlds as those that belong to and can be accessed by a wider group. For example, I would consider my kitchen as a private world and Central Station as a public one. You would then try and consider to what extent these worlds are imaginary (are they entirely created from the imagination or do they reflect aspects of our own world that may be familiar and recognisable by the audience?). Even if the world is set in a real life place, there will still be elements of imagination and fiction incorporated to reconstruct it for literary purposes. Let me know if that clarifies it!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:12:49 pm »
Hey, thank you for the response. I have read your guide and it was very helpful, but I think the part of the definition I am confused with is: does this apply to the characters inside the constructed world or the outside reality? For example, is it about the private, public and imaginary worlds of the characters inside the text and their world or is it the author's personal world, society's general world, and then the imaginary world is the constructed world?

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:49:16 pm »
+1
Hey, thank you for the response. I have read your guide and it was very helpful, but I think the part of the definition I am confused with is: does this apply to the characters inside the constructed world or the outside reality? For example, is it about the private, public and imaginary worlds of the characters inside the text and their world or is it the author's personal world, society's general world, and then the imaginary world is the constructed world?
Thank you!

Hey, BakerDad12!

I would say it refers to both! An Extension 1 response would aim to draw connections between the worlds and settings constructed within the text with the composer's reality as well as our own. Since the subject demands more a more critical judgement to be made by you as a student, it would lift your responses in quality if you were to explore the relationships between the literary worlds with the composer's context and speculate on the way we would receive and interpret them as contemporary audiences. The imaginary world suggests that these places and spaces are constructed and representative of certain ideas and experiences. You could almost say that the worlds within the text as reflections of reality, whether it be providing commentary on shifting social structures, to re-envisioning a significant historical event with its environment being brought to the forefront. Does that clarify it a little better?

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:53 pm »
+1
Yep, definitely! Thanks for the response.

In true English teacher style, you gave both as the answer!

That was just a joke.   :D Seriously though, thank you for the help!