Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:06:26 pm

Author Topic: what should i do with my tutor?  (Read 1719 times)  Share 

horngski

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Jewish School
what should i do with my tutor?
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:45 pm »
+1
finding my tutor a bit futile at the moment,
just wondering how did you guys utilise your math tutor?
did you get him/her to explain concepts or do questions?
how should i utilise my tutor?
thanks

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: what should i do with my tutor?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »
+2
finding my tutor a bit futile at the moment,
just wondering how did you guys utilise your math tutor?
did you get him/her to explain concepts or do questions?
how should i utilise my tutor?
thanks

hey,
Ususally, when I have maths tutoring, I ask him to clarify the things that I didn't understand at school. After he does that, I show him some example/problems I struggled with from the textbook. Then I ask him to move on to the next chapter so I have some sort of basic understanding of the chapter when we learn it at school.
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: what should i do with my tutor?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:25:18 pm »
+1
There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use a tutor, there is only a way that works for you.

If you think that you need them to go through concepts, get them to do that. If you think that you need them to go through questions, get them to do that.

However, the two don't need to be mutually exclusive. Perhaps, the best method might be to get them to go through questions you don't understand, and explain the concepts and fundamental mathematics behind those questions.

Maybe you're finding what you're doing too easy. In this case, your teacher can't accelerate your learning, but your tutor can. Ask them to teach you about future concepts you might be learning (eg. getting an early start on differentiation of transcendental functions).

At the end of the day, if you're not sure you've done something that helped you, just think about how much you paid them and ask yourself, "was that past hour (or however long you spent) worth how much I paid them?" If the answer is no, you need to rethink how you spend your time with your tutor (or even if your tutor is any good), and maybe what you two should've done instead.

Another thing - teachers teach things in a way that the majority will understand (eg, for composition of functions, most will say "the range of the inner must be in the domain of the outer", but that's just a shorthand way for knowing if the composition exists, which there are other ways of explaining), but that won't necessarily work for you. If asking your teacher can't glean a better explanation, ask your tutor. They may be able to explain it in a different, more extensive, way such that you know what's going on.