Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:50:01 pm

Author Topic: Help With VCE Subjects!  (Read 1793 times)

Lazza03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Help With VCE Subjects!
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:06:09 pm »
+1
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of help with organising my VCE subjects for next year. This year, in Yr 9, I have done unit 1/2 Philosophy and next year I will do units 3/4 Philosophy as well as five 1/2 subjects.

Okay, this is were I get stumped:
The program I am apart of is as follows:

Yr 9 - 1/2 Philosophy

Yr 10 - 3/4 Philosophy, 1/2 English (choice of the three), four 1/2 subjects

Yr 11 - Three 3/4 subjects and two more 1/2 subjects

Yr 12 - Four 3/4 subjects (Completing two subjects from Yr 11 and two from Yr 10) As well as a university enhancement

You might have spotted the problem, two of my VCE subjects will have a year gap in between units 1/2 and 3/4. To me, this gap is just a year for me to forget everything I have learnt, so obviously I will have to a) revise that subject through the year or b) do a subject that will be easy to remember (??)

Overall, these are the subjects I  want to complete :
- Maths Methods
- English Lit or Lang
- Chemistry (?) - a little bit worried it will be to hard
- Biology
- Health and Human Development
- Psycology
- Philosophy
- one other that I'm not sure of

So my question is : In what order would you think it best for me to complete my subjects? Which subjects would be easiest to pick up from after a year gap? And do you think I will just have to revise the subjects throughout my "gap year"?

If you read this far, thank you so much!
Any replies would be appreciated!  :) :) :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Help With VCE Subjects!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »
+2
Hey Lazza03,

Welcome to ATAR Notes! :)

I guess my first question is: why do you want to complete eight 3/4 subjects, potentially in addition to a university enhancement subject? I'd wager the majority of students complete 5-6 3/4 subjects in total, as only six (maximum) can count toward your ATAR. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing more 3/4 subjects, because it's great if you genuinely want to do so - just making sure you're aware of how the ATAR works. :) Depending on your school, you might not even be able to complete three 3/4 subjects in Year 11 (I was only allowed to study one).

But with that aside, why not try for something like this? Specific subjects just for sake of argument.

Year 9: Philosophy 1/2
Year 10: Philosophy 3/4, Health & Human Development 1/2, Biology 1/2
Year 11: Health & Human Development 3/4, Biology 3/4, English 1/2, Chemistry 1/2, Psychology 1/2, Methods 1/2
Year 12: English 3/4, Chemistry 3/4, Psychology 3/4, Methods 3/4

That equals seven 3/4s in total (still one more than can count toward your ATAR), and no continuity issues as mentioned in your post. You'd finish with:
* Philosophy (Year 10)
* Health & Human Development (Year 10)
* Biology (Year 10)
* English (Year 12)
* Chemistry (Year 12)
* Psychology (Year 12)
* Methods (Year 12)

What are your thoughts? :)

P.S. I really strongly suggest you speak to your teachers and/or careers counsellor about this, too. They'll be able to point you in the right direction. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:20:07 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:32:11 pm »
+1
Hey, I feel like you might go to my school haha.

As J41 has said, only 6 subjects can count towards your ATAR. If you want to do all the ones you have said definitely go for it!

I noticed that you have one on there that you have said you are unsure what other subject to do. Have you considered doing year 12 English twice? So doing 1/2 in year 10, 3/4 in year 11 l and then 3/4 again in year 12.

If you hate English (like me) that probably sounds like hell, but if you don’t hate it, it will be more beneficial to your ATAR than doing a subject that won’t even get counted. English has to be in your top 4, so the study score you get in it is 20% of your ATAR.

Alternatively you could do 3/4 lit in year 11 and 3/4 Lang in year 12, whichever you score higher in will be your english part of your atar - the other one could count too if you do well in it.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:38 pm »
+2
Hey, I feel like you might go to my school haha.

As J41 has said, only 6 subjects can count towards your ATAR. If you want to do all the ones you have said definitely go for it!

I noticed that you have one on there that you have said you are unsure what other subject to do. Have you considered doing year 12 English twice? So doing 1/2 in year 10, 3/4 in year 11 l and then 3/4 again in year 12.

If you hate English (like me) that probably sounds like hell, but if you don’t hate it, it will be more beneficial to your ATAR than doing a subject that won’t even get counted. English has to be in your top 4, so the study score you get in it is 20% of your ATAR.

Alternatively you could do 3/4 lit in year 11 and 3/4 Lang in year 12, whichever you score higher in will be your english part of your atar - the other one could count too if you do well in it.

Your English score isn't necessarily 20% of your ATAR, but you make a good point in saying that an English subject has to be in the top four. I'd be much more inclined to study two of English/English Language/Literature than taking the same subject twice, though.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lazza03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »
+1

I guess my first question is: why do you want to complete eight 3/4 subjects, potentially in addition to a university enhancement subject?

The program I am in is called SEAL which is basically just an accelerated program. But to answer your query, I dont actually have the option to only do 6 subjects or to rearrange the program - believe me, If I could I would! So what you are suggesting isnt possible for me as far as I know. But thank you anyway for your response :) :)