Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:03 pm

Author Topic: motion  (Read 7230 times)  Share 

Pop

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: motion
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 09:16:38 pm »
I know that in Queensland, most university selection is based on a GAT like exam. An ideal system would measure aptitude and effort. The GAT is a good measure of aptitude, but how can you measure effort? Perhaps in teacher reports.

on the topic of DNA testing, we see in the mentioned Gattaca film, "There is no gene for the human spirit" (that IS a quote,its on the DVD cover, good ol' Yr 9 English). The entire movie is a case against DNA testing as it shows that doing so would exclude valuable, inspired people from working in a position where they will exceed because their genes are wrong.

Perhaps the best system looks at study scores as opposed to ENTER, or different courses calculate the ENTER in different ways. However, the unfortunate fact seems to be that the better you want to make the system, the harder it is to calculate a fair ENTER.

It must also be said though that ENTER is not the end of the road in a career, but a DNA test probably is.

Yay for someone who has actually seen the movie and knows that in the end determination wins over genetic advantage. I thought we were making arguments for the sake of it, well that was my intention but I guess Mao doesn’t see this. The current ENTER system seems fair and as a current y12 student what choice do I have other than to play along so I can get in my desired course next year.  You guys though will most likely have no problem finishing in the top % of the state anyway through your efforts and intelligence, so why all the anger?

Oh Applexy, don’t think you will get away with that comment. THIS is what my school does to people (actual picture of him taken in the library with my phone)
Check out the mad nerd bling bling.
[IMG]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5192/image010tu2.jpg[/img]

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:07 pm »
I know that in Queensland, most university selection is based on a GAT like exam. An ideal system would measure aptitude and effort. The GAT is a good measure of aptitude, but how can you measure effort? Perhaps in teacher reports.

on the topic of DNA testing, we see in the mentioned Gattaca film, "There is no gene for the human spirit" (that IS a quote,its on the DVD cover, good ol' Yr 9 English). The entire movie is a case against DNA testing as it shows that doing so would exclude valuable, inspired people from working in a position where they will exceed because their genes are wrong.

Perhaps the best system looks at study scores as opposed to ENTER, or different courses calculate the ENTER in different ways. However, the unfortunate fact seems to be that the better you want to make the system, the harder it is to calculate a fair ENTER.

It must also be said though that ENTER is not the end of the road in a career, but a DNA test probably is.

Yay for someone who has actually seen the movie and knows that in the end determination wins over genetic advantage. I thought we were making arguments for the sake of it, well that was my intention but I guess Mao doesn’t see this. The current ENTER system seems fair and as a current y12 student what choice do I have other than to play along so I can get in my desired course next year.  You guys though will most likely have no problem finishing in the top % of the state anyway through your efforts and intelligence, so why all the anger?

arguing for the sake of it does involve valid arguments or be branded as "absolutely absurd", you know that, right? :P
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 10:54:42 pm »

Oh Applexy, don’t think you will get away with that comment. THIS is what my school does to people (actual picture of him taken in the library with my phone)
Check out the mad nerd bling bling.
[IMG]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5192/image010tu2.jpg[/img]

GRR TEO. now everyone knows your name, tie :P

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F