Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:32 am

Author Topic: Aladdin (Live Action Remake) - Thoughts?  (Read 4472 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Aladdin (Live Action Remake) - Thoughts?
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:09 pm »
+5
I feel like the Aladdin live action is stirring up a decent bit of controversy online, and I can't really tell why? I honestly think Will Smith is a smart choice to play the genie, and I'm listening to the soundtrack which came out on Apple Music today and I'm a fan! The new song Speechless is beautiful, and I like 'most' of what they've changed about the originals (a few of the rewritten lyrics are a bit 'eh'). Score is really great behind all that too. Will Smith does quite a good job in his numbers.

In short, don't get the hate! I understand people loving the original, it's a classic, but I feel like we can acknowledge this new version as something really great too.

Thoughts? Is anyone planning to see it? Does the fact that I care about this so much reveal just how old I really am?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Aladdin (Live Action Remake) - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:35:51 pm »
No arguments from me! I'm excited to see what will be changed, but at the same time quite apprehensive because of the other live action remakes in the past :-/

on a somewhat related note Mena Massoud (the guy who plays Aladdin) is really cute lol
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:52 pm »
+1
What live action remakes haven't you been a fan of? I heard Jungle Book was a bit of a miss - To be honest I'm WAY more skeptical of Lion King than Aladdin! ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:19:53 pm »
What live action remakes haven't you been a fan of? I heard Jungle Book was a bit of a miss - To be honest I'm WAY more skeptical of Lion King than Aladdin! ;D

Beauty and the Beast was... eh? It felt a little off to me. The Jungle Book was alright. I'm really hyped for Aladdin though, and I hope I won't be disappointed like with Beauty and the Beast!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:45:52 pm »
+1
Saw this screencap of Will Smith as the genie and it looks terrifying and horrific. Hard pass for me

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:19 pm »
Beauty and the Beast was... eh? It felt a little off to me. The Jungle Book was alright. I'm really hyped for Aladdin though, and I hope I won't be disappointed like with Beauty and the Beast!

I think the problem with Beauty and the Beast was casting Emma Watson as Belle. Like she is such a familiar face in the industry and obviously well known for being Hermione in the Harry Potter series. Didn't help that she had her British accent for the entire film instead of a French one. So there were definitely parts of the Beauty and the Beast film where I saw Emma as Hermione rather than Belle.

My film school has some deep hatred for live action remakes so I feel like I shouldn't watch Aladdin? (yay for conformity!)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:40:25 am »
+1
I've been listening to the soundtrack this morning, and I think it's great. The orchestral arrangement in some of the numbers is incredible.

I actually agree with a few of the stylistic choices made, but there's just one that's kinda bugging me....

I think it's really interesting that they've changed a lot of the numbers from cut-common time (2/2) to common-time (4/4), giving it a more modern pop feeling, and I don't know how I feel about that. It makes numbers like One Jump Ahead feel so slow.

What's even more interesting though is that they've combined both time signatures in Friend Like Me.

What do you guys think?
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 11:38:05 am »
+1
I've been listening to the soundtrack this morning, and I think it's great. The orchestral arrangement in some of the numbers is incredible.

I actually agree with a few of the stylistic choices made, but there's just one that's kinda bugging me....

I think it's really interesting that they've changed a lot of the numbers from cut-common time (2/2) to common-time (4/4), giving it a more modern pop feeling, and I don't know how I feel about that. It makes numbers like One Jump Ahead feel so slow.

What's even more interesting though is that they've combined both time signatures in Friend Like Me.

What do you guys think?

Ahhh I didn't pick up that change! But now that you've mentioned it, definitely agree with you. It's funny, the one that people are most upset about is "Prince Ali" - I really like what they've done with that one. The slight drop in tempo doesn't bother me, I actually (might) like it better than the original? Also really like Arabian Nights ;D

Saw this screencap of Will Smith as the genie and it looks terrifying and horrific. Hard pass for me

(Image removed from quote.)

I felt the same, but it doesn't seem like that will be how he appears for the majority of the movie. I've not seen it like that outside the cave!