Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:51:26 pm

Author Topic: Will I like law?  (Read 6263 times)  Share 

DeezNuts

• Trendsetter
  • 'where must we go, we who wander the wasteland'
  • Respect: +6
  • School: Tha Streetz
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Will I like law?
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:00:46 pm »
Hi guys,

I am still unsure what I will do in university, and I was wondering what kind of qualities/preferences one should have in order to be suited to Law? I have no idea if I  will like it or not :P

Also Is the content dry? is it very detailed orientated? can anyone point me to any examples or websites that will give me a taste of what uni law is like?

I have never done anything related to law, but was considering it for next year.

Thanks alot guyz! :)
Literature (47) ~ Psych (43) ~ Bio (42)
Tutoring available, just PM me if interested :)
[Limited spots remaining]

'We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.'

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Will I like law?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:38 am »
No, I don't do law.
No, I can't tell you what it's like.
However, food for thought:

Why are you considering law in the first place? What do you enjoy doing in life? What did you enjoy doing at school? Why are you now second-guessing doing law?

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »
I think Law isn't as cool as it is portrayed on TV shows like 'Suits'. If that was Law, I'd want to do it 100% because it looks cool. I know it isn't so I'm also not so sure.

There is this vibe around here that no one is sure that they want to do Law...
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:53:57 pm »
+2
There is this vibe around here that no one is sure that they want to do Law...

Nah.  I'm absolutely sure.

I don't.

Seriously, if I could pick the last career in the world I wanted, I think Law would be competing in the top 10 :P  Out of curiosity, you guys who want to do Law, why?  What are the perks you think it'll offer?  I personally can't see almost any so I'd love to be enlightened :P

(I'm not trying to give advice at all of course - merely airing my absolutely reliable views as someone who's never touched it in their life)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:52 pm »
+1
Seriously, if I could pick the last career in the world I wanted, I think Law would be competing in the top 10 :P  Out of curiosity, you guys who want to do Law, why?  What are the perks you think it'll offer?  I personally can't see almost any so I'd love to be enlightened :P

For me. Law is attractive because its like Medicine, and I can actually maybe get in. (I know....I know...its not, but in principle, it is). It allows people to help others, and fight for them when they don't have the ability, or know how to do it themselves. I want to do Law to help people fight the system, and big corporations and what not. Sure, every lawyer wants a BigLaw job (BigLaw = Large firms like in 'Suits') to make the fat stacks, and to be honest, I want one to gain experience, and working knowledge in the field, but I don't want to be one of those people whose aim in life is to climb the ladder, and follow the chain of command. A lawyer can help people with their problems, and make them go away. Law is apparently a very difficult field to get a entry level job, it has long hours, and the pay isn't great (unless you get into a BigLaw firm)...

Sorry for the rambling, none of that was relevant...I just spewed everything I know...

This is all considering I get in...
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries