Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:17:07 am

Author Topic: Criminology/ IT at Monash vs Criminology/Psychology at RMIT  (Read 555 times)  Share 

aimethystnyah

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Criminology/ IT at Monash vs Criminology/Psychology at RMIT
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:21:17 am »
Hi! I'm wondering which course/university to pick. Because to me, they both have their ups and downs (which I may be wrong about, so please correct me on that.)

Monash:
1. Higher prestige = better employment opportunities? (do employers care about that?)
2. Closer to home
3. IT is probably going to be a prospering industry? (since we are slowly progressing)

RMIT:
1. I'm more interested in psychology than IT.   
2. It's a 3-year course, shorter than the Monash one by a year (but also will I be able to cope with the coursework with a shorter duration of time since its a double degree?)

If anyone could help me by honestly sharing their experience in these courses with me, that'll be great!
Thanks in advance!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Criminology/ IT at Monash vs Criminology/Psychology at RMIT
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:45:20 am »
+3
1. Higher prestige = better employment opportunities? (do employers care about that?)
Depends on area. Most don't since they all teach similar content for accreditation.
I know for IT the focus is on experience and opportunities e.g. internships, projects, rather than what uni you went to.

2. Closer to home
Good, this should be a major influence in your decision making. Keep in mind you have to do this travel for at least the duration of your degree (most degrees are at least 3 years) so you have to ask yourself whether you can do any proposed travel for the long term or not. I went to two unis one 10 mins away from home and another 90 mins. It's amazing when you consider how much time you actually lose when you travel and how much time you could save for yourself to do leisure activities, relax, extra sleep, meet up with friends etc. Multiply that by 3-4 years and you've lost a significant amount of time.

3. IT is probably going to be a prospering industry? (since we are slowly progressing)
Again, depends on area. Emerging (and I say emerging because relative to other areas they are new) areas like cybersecurity and data science are great.... but for the existing options it isn't as easy as you think purely because IT can be easily outsourced and this is an industry that utilises overseas workers quite a bit. If you look in the right place there's employment but it isn't as easy as you think it is.

To be honest the logical pairing would be Crim/Psych but I guess it's a matter of figuring out the IT part of things, whether you can go without doing that. I have heard anecdotally that the Crim at RMIT is fantastic so whether that helps or not.....

2. It's a 3-year course, shorter than the Monash one by a year (but also will I be able to cope with the coursework with a shorter duration of time since its a double degree?)
Interesting. A 3 year double degree? The best option would be to see if you can find a course map which outlines unit by unit what you need to do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:50:28 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile