Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:35:22 pm

Author Topic: Ariel in section B  (Read 1318 times)  Share 

RedRobin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Ariel in section B
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:19:06 am »
Does anyone know how to link the close analysis of poetry from Ariel to its message as an anthology? I'm struggling to find a cohesive message throughout the work. Does anyone have any recommendations for looking at it?

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
Re: Ariel in section B
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:09:44 pm »
+1
Does anyone know how to link the close analysis of poetry from Ariel to its message as an anthology? I'm struggling to find a cohesive message throughout the work. Does anyone have any recommendations for looking at it?

I don't do lit, but i've read Ariel... so maybe I can give some recomendations...

A big theme in all of Plath's work (all that I’ve read), is her struggle to come to terms with being required to have definitive identity. I’m sure you've analyzed Morning Song, and the maternal love that characterizes that poem, conversely, I’m sure you've read 'Cut' and explored the dark and disoriented tone of the poem. The reason I say disoriented is because of the context of the poem, essentially, it's set in a kitchen where a woman is cutting an onion, and probably preparing dinner... but it you don't perceive this woman as a domestic figure in the way Plath's language choices and imagery present her as almost confused and out of place... I don't really know how to properly articulate this 'idea', but I think you should analyze the lack of cohesion in the poems, I feel as if the poet was comforted by the concept that she didn't have to present herself in a monolithic light, and that she could indeed have a multifaceted identity despite societal impositions that urge individuals, and especially women to establish a consistent and rigid identity. This could be linked to the overarching feminist message of the anthology.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:00:23 pm by studyingg »