Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:28 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84181 times)  Share 

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2020, 01:39:01 pm »
+12
Questions for those who are going to school currently.

What sort of interventions are in place at school to prevent the spread of the virus. I know schools have temperature checks in the morning but for asymptomatic individuals what other changes are in place. How often are classrooms getting cleaned? How close are students normally? What goes on during recess and lunch time? How often are students not following the rules?
Firstly, it’s very difficult to maintain perfect social distancing in a school environment. I’m not trying to defend anyone’s actions, but it’s just the truth. I can’t speak for others, but at my school we have a whole bunch of cleaners who just clean for the entire day while we are at school. They wipe down the lockers, doors and door handles, the microwave/sink stations and tables for the entire day, while we’re in classes and at recess/lunch. We also have billions of hand sanitiser bottles and installed automatic dispensers with hand sanitiser, and I can happily say everyone sanitises their hands very often (or most, at least). We also have made all the stairs one way to reduce congestion and made a lot of walking paths in the buildings one way. Everything I’ve just said wasn’t specific to the second wave though, we were doing all this before too. We do socially distance during lunch and recess but it’s probably ineffective as there are a handful of individuals who forget to social distance every time. We have teachers coming around to remind us, though. So yeah, social distancing measures are in place during recess and lunch, but they aren’t really in place during class. During class we still sit next to one another, except the tables are all separated (still 2 on a table though, looks pretty old school haha). That’s about all we have, but I’m not sure what else can be done. We can’t have only 1 student at each table because we don’t have enough tables for that and classrooms aren’t big enough to have only 1 student at a table. Obviously we don’t have any large gathering things, all assemblies and stuff are online and we have to attend from our classrooms.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2020, 03:25:53 pm »
+10
My school is pretty similar to whys with extra cleaners, sanitiser bottles everywhere and one way stair ways. I think for my school during the second wave they’ve been a lot more strict with social distancing. At lunch and recess students are doing a much better job at maintaining at least a 1 metre distance between them. Although I agree with whys that it’s certainly not perfect (and some students are less compliant than others ).

Also with the second wave, as no 7-10s are coming to school, we have enough space for one student per table. This has definitely helped with social distancing in class. Our school has opened up all the classrooms that they can to help with this and we all have room changes.

To restrict movement and crowds of people around lockers when the bell goes the teacher chooses half the class to leave and then the rest follows a couple of minutes later. I’m not sure how effective this is but at least they’re trying I suppose. They are minimising the amount of teachers coming to school as well.
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2020, 04:13:12 pm »
+9
Questions for those who are going to school currently.

What sort of interventions are in place at school to prevent the spread of the virus. I know schools have temperature checks in the morning but for asymptomatic individuals what other changes are in place. How often are classrooms getting cleaned? How close are students normally? What goes on during recess and lunch time? How often are students not following the rules? 

The measures we have this time around are pretty similar to last time - but definetely being taken more seriously this time around. It is no where near perfect and I still see room for improvement, but its been okay.

We are no longer using lockers and carrying our bags around with us each day to stop the congestion. Temperature checks are being done - not sure how effective they are in the long run but better than nothing I guess. Social distancing in class depends on the teachers and size of the class - some teachers force us to sit apart, works better in my smaller classes. I think the schools being cleaned after every day and a bit in between breaks too.

We've been using some classrooms from younger grades to ensure we are more spread around the school as our senior building doesn't quite accomodate for everyone.

Seems like a lot of school closures have been occurring - I've had a few days off already this term. Its quite inconvenient but definetely in the best interest of everyone. We're already behind and its quite hard switching between online and face-to-face. Being in one of the worst affected areas imo I'd prefer to go back to online for a couple of weeks. Thats just my opinion as most of us are very scared to be at school.

Edit: Masks have been adopted quite well with everyone - however they come on and off constantly to eat, drink, take a breather etc so its a bit unhygenic in a way as they're being touched from everywhere - but I've been quite impressed to see them in use. No social distancing during recess and lunch at all though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:16:58 pm by ArtyDreams »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:00 pm »
+4
Am I the only year 12 who's staying home during the second wave? With various respiratory issues and a (non-COVID) cough at the moment, I decided it was better to stay at home, and anticipated being not the only one in a couple of days, yet I'm the only one at my school, which is a bit disadvantaging. Is there anyone else??
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2020, 04:48:35 pm »
+6
I go to a rural school with only 4 cases in my shire which is like 3000 square km and one of the latest cases was a hospital employee...and i know SO MANY people who's parents work at the hospital. The local catholic school has enforced masks and tbch im surprised there isn't any sign of going into remote learning
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2020, 05:03:35 pm »
+6
Am I the only year 12 who's staying home during the second wave? With various respiratory issues and a (non-COVID) cough at the moment, I decided it was better to stay at home, and anticipated being not the only one in a couple of days, yet I'm the only one at my school, which is a bit disadvantaging. Is there anyone else??
I imagine you're not the only one staying at home - there would be quite a few year 12s who have medical conditions or other reasons that require them to stay at home. In the end, the most important thing is that you look after your own health.
I hope your school is giving you all the support you need!

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2020, 05:13:32 pm »
+6
I hope your school is giving you all the support you need!
My school is actually very supportive, it's not nearly as easy though to learn from home and whatever. They're doing their best, but still. Remote learning. Isn't easy. Also, does not help with procrastination....
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2020, 07:58:33 pm »
+6
-snip-
-snip-
-snip-
Thanks for these responses. Seems like everyone is making a heap of changes which is great but it is always going to be very difficult to regulate in a school environment.

Using all the classrooms and changing timetables was also something that I was thinking of in order to decrease the number of times students have to be within the same classroom in the same day. Having no lockers for some is also a great idea because I know in a lot of schools those areas tend to be the most congested and it would be difficult not to bump into someone else.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:47 pm »
+6
Thanks for these responses. Seems like everyone is making a heap of changes which is great but it is always going to be very difficult to regulate in a school environment.

Using all the classrooms and changing timetables was also something that I was thinking of in order to decrease the number of times students have to be within the same classroom in the same day. Having no lockers for some is also a great idea because I know in a lot of schools those areas tend to be the most congested and it would be difficult not to bump into someone else.
Assuming the school hasn't tightened any since I went online a couple of weeks back, my school was kinda being different - they were specifically doing it so that one class was in the same classroom all day as far as poss. Hand sanitiser we had, also told that if we wanted to we could not use our lockers (people ignored that completely) and got told that if we didn't socially distance in the year 12 common room, it'd be shut up for the time being (which people didn't want). There was a lot of cleaning too, and obv. hand sanitiser before each class (well, most of them anyway), and cleaning desks each day/time you have a new class, and we all had to keep to the same desks.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2020, 08:20:00 pm »
+3
I'm quite forgetful. I forgot to say that we're doing this too haha. Our timetables have been changed so that many of our study periods are the end of the day, allowing year 12s, 11s and 10s to go home early to minimise the number of kids at school. The afternoons are half-empty as a result.
psych [50] bio [50]

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »
+3
One of my local high schools has shut for the second time due to a case from a student (who hadn't been there in a long while apparently). Interesting to know that the school is shutting for 24h and MS Teams is their remote learning weapon of choice.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »
+3
? What is that?
Microsoft Teams. AKA the best online learning platform in the entire world. You cannot argue with me. ;D
psych [50] bio [50]

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »
+1
Having never tried it, 'tis true I cannot argue. My school uses Google Meet and Google Classroom. Which is not quite up to the standard I would like; not that they ask my opinion :P
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2020, 09:45:59 pm »
+10
Here is a typical "school routine"
1. Get dropped off or walk in one entrance only.
2. Get temperature checked with a fancy robot scanner, then take a sticker for your uniform and use hand sanitiser.
3. Go to lockers as usual. The locker bays that are also used as thoroughfares have been distanced however others haven't.
4. Classrooms have spray, paper towel and hand sanitiser as you walk in. Most people use hand sanitiser but tables are only cleaned in some of my classes (about half).
5. My school has lots of "exam" desks so we have had a few room changes to mean we are in a specific set of classrooms where there is either one person to a one-person desk or one person to a two-person desk.

Our school is extensively cleaned daily I believe, in addition to students cleaning the tables and frequently touched surfaces.

Social distancing is enforced at times, depending on the teacher. Not too prevalent in the smallish hallways which are not one way (a great idea that I hadn't thought about). Some teachers are very strict about it while others don't mind if you move the tables to sit right next to a friend.

Recess and lunch is as per normal I think, and most people make some effort to at least try and socially distance somehow. People do get told off for little things but it is more of a reminder as it is a big adjustment and you sometimes just forget.
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university